Author Topic: Use of the Mirage pool  (Read 5583 times)

Offline yorkie

Use of the Mirage pool
« on: July 02, 2007, 01:25:15 PM »
I've just got back from Arillas and wanted to post a message about using the pool at the Mirage - for two weeks my friend and I used the pool (advertised as free!) we bought drinks everyday and had had lunch there too- however on our last day the lady who wandered round taking drinks orders had a massive row with my friend as she did not want a drink at that particular time, (I had ordered one but that obviously didn't count!) - she said that she would have to leave if she wasn't going to have a drink, at which point my friend said "we were going to have lunch here but we cerainly won't be now!" , this was a low point on which to end our holiday as we had enjoyed using the pool at the Mirage.

So pleased be warned that you will be expected to frequently purchase food and drink and that a refusal may result in you being asked to leave the pool area.

Offline Jo Wissett

• Arillas regular visitor
  • ARILLIAC
Re: Use of the Mirage pool
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2007, 02:00:06 PM »
I posted a comment about this on a different thread.  We encountered the same problem last year,despite spending a lot there on food and drinks.  It really spoilt my day at the time as we had really enjoyed it there and it came as a bolt from the blue.  Like you say, they shouldnt advertise it as 'free' if this is not the case. 

Offline Shuey

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2007, 02:19:45 PM »
That is a real shame.  You would think that they would remember you if you had been there everyday.  Perhaps she was having an off day.  I hope this did not spoil your holiday and you will be back next year.

I expect Jo you will be sunbathing elsewhere this year.

Offline John_R

« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2007, 02:31:14 PM »
We didn't have any problems when we were there last September, but it was not very busy so they were probably glad that at least one of us were buying drinks.

Offline Smiffypink

• ARILLIAC
« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2007, 02:41:20 PM »
Im really shocked to hear this, i always thought that you can use the pools and buy snacks and drinks as when you require them throughout your day there, not have to order them as and when the lady wants you to, thats terrible, well i can definitely say that ive never had that experience at any other pool that ive swam at!

I specifically remember seeing the sign saying the pool was free to use and that only drinks and snacks bought there were to be consumed which is understandable, but to be told when to have a drink is not on at all.

I hope this didnt ruin your holiday and wont stop you returning to Arillas :-) .

Offline Eggy

• On the Spot reporter
  • ARILLIAC
« Reply #5 on: July 02, 2007, 03:28:34 PM »
" Devils Advocate " here. ( A very intelligent term for me this time in the afternoon )
I think anywhere where a pool is advertised as free does is always cause for concern. You're always expected to have a drink or snack and if we all went there as non eaters & drinkers then, at the end of the week the pool shuts down. It's possible here you got someone who knows basic English for drinks but doesn't understand "Not now,later"
To her it may be "No drink for me", FULL STOP.  Even saying " I will eat later" may not have been understood. And unfortunatley a drink yesterday was yesterday. Later may not happen. Today's now on the menu.
Spend an afternoon on the beach with 2 sunbeds & a brolly and working out the cost then maybe 2 drinks is not that bad.
All this said "Yorkie" it is a sad way to end a holiday and, like others, I hope it doesn't put you off Arillas. I expect that, over your 2 week stay, you probably spent more money there than a lot of people do.
( I saw a family of 4 once come into Eleni/Stella for a swim and sunbeds and order 1 coke ) ---- And, in this case, get away with it!
Regards
Negg

Offline Jo Wissett

• ARILLIAC
« Reply #6 on: July 02, 2007, 03:56:32 PM »
I totally agree that you should spend money at the pool and indeed we always did.  I usually had a full breakfast and then we would buy drinks and lunch all round, ice creams,pool etc.... It was when my sister in law joined us and she had literally just put her bags down and she came over and said, you want drink? to which she replied "yes in a couple of minutes", to which Angela replied, "you want beds, you drink!" and stomped off!

Yes, she could have been having a bad day but it came a such a shock when you are so used to everyone else being so nice.

At the Marinaki where we stay,it is so relaxed there and we would be more than happy to stay there all day as the view/location is just as beautiful.  The only reason that we sometimes go to the Mirage is that there are more kids for my boys to play with usually. I will give it a chance this year and see what happens.

Offline Sandy x

• Sandy
  • ARILLIAC
  • Kouklospito
« Reply #7 on: July 02, 2007, 04:12:48 PM »
Jo....have you tried the Rainbow pool? No sea view, but there are always loads of kids for your boys to play with. Jimmy and Spiros will keep you entertained, and won't hound you to buy drinks, although it is polite if you do....
Sandy x

Offline Jo Wissett

• ARILLIAC
« Reply #8 on: July 02, 2007, 05:01:06 PM »
Yes we stayed at the Bakery on year and used this pool. It was great but I do like to be able to nip across to the beach when I feel the need!  Thanks anyway.

Offline John_R

« Reply #9 on: July 05, 2007, 10:11:11 PM »
As I coudn't get the weeks I wanted to come to arillas this year, I had a week in a little resort in the Peleponese ( Argolis Area), when we sat on sunbeds on the beach they were owned by the Taverna's next to that section of beach as you long as you bought a drink at the Taverna the sunbeds were yours all day, and with the heatwave that was endured up to 44 degrees Centigrade some days it worked in their favour we were buying drinks very often

Offline Manda

« Reply #10 on: July 05, 2007, 10:44:19 PM »
I think this must be the first negative thing i've read about arrillas, and yes its a bit worrying, yes its upsetting and could put a bit of a downer on your well earned hols; but that said, the locals are simply trying to earn an honest crust, and if the older Greek women are anything like Turkish women, you have the language barrier as well as the fiery temperament, which most of the time lies dormant! I personally would have found a member of staff who speaks fair english, explained my intentions and hopefully have avoided a debate (ever the diplomat!) Failing that, I'd have moved to pastures new; if the management condones hassling you for business, trust me, they'll miss you before you miss them!
To me, this would be a minor hiccup in proceedings, especially after a 5 star all inclusive in Turkey last year, where my hubby had an ear infection from day 2, I had a bout of the Turkey trots, and both my kids ended up on drips! One due to gastroentoritis and the other with an infection in both ears; Oh yes, and I ended up on antibiotics due to an ear problem too. Most of this happened in week 2, leaving us wondering if we'd be fit to fly home - I couldn't get back to Blighty quick enough - so some stroppy Greek lady would be a walk in the park this year! :-)
All said, i'll beware of the drinks lady at the Mirage!

Offline Shuey

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #11 on: July 06, 2007, 11:01:07 AM »
That sounds like a holiday from Hell.  I have never fancied Turkey and I think that has put me off even more, nothing worse than being ill on holiday.  I get ear infections all the time and would not want one on holiday - not good if you enjoy swimming!

Sorry have gone off the topic. :)

Offline Eggy

• On the Spot reporter
  • ARILLIAC
« Reply #12 on: July 06, 2007, 11:40:57 AM »
Asking around, as yer do, I come to the conclusion that the pool is free. As John R says "You secure the sunbeds by purchasing a drink. Many years ago we stayed at Angela's Appartments, just opposite Eleni-Stella. No pool there and some mornings Mrs Egg popped over to Eleni for a quick swim. Towel on the grass, swim. dry off and back to Angelas. No questions were asked, maybe because some days we just went in for a lunchtime snack and used the pool or sunbeds. "Swings & Roundabouts".
Not being bothered by anyone there was a good business move for them, every year after that we stayed at the Eleni.
So any "Union  Reps" out there who want to prove a point then go to a "free" pool, with your "Cozzie" on and just with a towel. Have a free swim then leave.
( Too much hassle. Just have a drink today instead and do it "Avrio" )
The language barrier is very difficult. Listen to most Greek conversations and they usually sound like an argument. It's the stress on the accents which make it so and also make it difficult for the English to learn. So when a Greek says to you in English "Yes Can I help" somtimes it might sound like they want to snap your head off. They don't really. There used to be a guy on the beach years ago selling the sunbeds. His translation of "Thankyou very much" sounded so agressive. Dimitris always laughs at me when I say "What a pity" in Greek. I think I say it in such a way it comes out at a high pitch and, possibly a bit effeminate.
It's all a learning curve. Take it with a pinch of salt and enjoy your holiday.
Negg

Offline sue

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #13 on: July 07, 2007, 05:53:55 PM »
im quite shocked at this
will avoid this place

Offline Jo Wissett

• ARILLIAC
« Reply #14 on: July 08, 2007, 12:42:12 AM »
We really dont want people to avoid the Mirage.  Just because we, and a few other people of people had bad experiences I feel it is unfair to boycott it.  They could have been having a bad day.  We will give it another chance this year and see what happens.

Booking.com