Author Topic: Boats  (Read 19288 times)

Offline nickb

• Bronze medal {over 20 posts}
Boats
« on: July 04, 2007, 09:21:38 PM »
We are thinking of hireing a boat, how much experience is required??? any advice would be welcome.
Nick and Marie

Offline Eileen

• Arillas regular visitor
  • ARILLIAC
  • Linakis lemons!
    • http://www.villalinakis.com
Re: Boats
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2007, 09:25:52 PM »
Hi Nickb,

I've never hired a boat before so not much I can say apart from..have you seen this page?    http://www.arillas.com/page/content/view/31/116/lang,en/

Have fun,

Eileen.

Offline nickb

« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2007, 10:42:04 PM »
Thank you, I have had a quick look, we will check it out when we are there any way just wanted some advice from nyone who's been already.
best wishes
nick

Offline Eileen

• ARILLIAC
  • Linakis lemons!
« Reply #3 on: July 04, 2007, 10:57:51 PM »
Hi Nick,

If  you do decide to hire a boat please let us know all about it when you come home.  It would be good to read a review, it might even encourage me to try it one day. :-)

Have fun,

Eileen.

Offline nickb

« Reply #4 on: July 04, 2007, 11:04:47 PM »
Hi Eileen
We certainly will do a review if we're brave enough to go for it, my fiancee has been watching to much shirley valentine though I think...are the boats really all called Noah.
ps if youhavent seen the film mentioned its a must!!!
Nick

Offline Eileen

• ARILLIAC
  • Linakis lemons!
« Reply #5 on: July 04, 2007, 11:12:39 PM »
Crikey it's been absolutely years since I watched that movie...too many brain cells depleted by the retsina since then...but I vaguely remember...was the scene on the boat a little errmmm...romantic..or something along these lines...I'm trying to be polite?!!!

Eileen.

Offline kriopigi girl

• Arillas Addict
« Reply #6 on: July 04, 2007, 11:26:08 PM »
WE had planned to hire a boat this year but the chap who did them is not there now as he was not making the money.
It may be possible to hire one from San Stefanos though.
Happy sailing !!!!!!

Pauline

Offline Sandy x

• Sandy
  • ARILLIAC
  • Kouklospito
« Reply #7 on: July 05, 2007, 12:20:35 AM »
My kids and their mates ("young adults") hired a couple of boats for the day from San Stefanos last June. None of them had any previous experience but they were given a few instructions and had an absolutlely fantastic time - they said it was the best day of the holiday!
Sandy x

Offline nickb

« Reply #8 on: July 05, 2007, 10:12:20 AM »
Hi Eileen, thats right it did get a bit steamy....but we shall just stick to sightseeing.
Honest

Offline Eileen

• ARILLIAC
  • Linakis lemons!
« Reply #9 on: July 05, 2007, 10:15:02 AM »
Hi Eileen, thats right it did get a bit steamy....but we shall just stick to sightseeing.
Honest

:-) :-) :-)

Offline nicmccluskey

• Silver Medal {over 40 posts}
« Reply #10 on: July 05, 2007, 10:44:18 AM »
Hi Nickb
My partner and I hired a boat two years ago from the guy on the beach at a very reasonable rate. HE gave us some basic instructions, showed us where the life jackets etc were and we were off! We had an absolutely fantastic time- filled up a cool box with a couple of cans and some butties. We came across a little secluded cove where Spiros (Bardis) goes for octopus! An excellent alternative day out- highly recommended.
Have fun!

Offline John B

• Holiday in Heaven
  • Super Member {over 100 posts}
« Reply #11 on: July 07, 2007, 04:48:38 PM »
Hi Nick B,

Give it a go it's fantastic. It was 40 euro for two hours I think. He will show you the basics, it is very easy to handle. Take a bottle of wine or beers and a sandwich.
The boat has an anchor so you can go for a swim in beautiful clear water. Take note that petrol is charged extra.

Have a great time.

John

Offline annie

• Super Member {over 100 posts}
« Reply #12 on: July 07, 2007, 08:11:49 PM »
Driving to boat is not a problem and we had a lovely day. Dropping anchor in the coves can be tricky. Cost us 30 euros for a dented propeller, as the wind caught the boat as we were lifting the anchor and blew the boat onto a rock. Also the anchor got stuck under another rock and i had to dive down and free it . This took several goes.
Annie

Offline Angie Redshoes

• Angie & Chris @ Amos Arillas
« Reply #13 on: July 16, 2007, 07:18:48 PM »
Another idea would be to drive to Kassiopi and hire a boat from Phillippo. It is more expensive (80 euro upwards depending on the size of the boat) as you do get the boat for the whole day with a map detailing all the tavernas en route and the boats are certainly more superior. If you are experienced and have a licence you can hire a boat with a larger hp engine.

It would also give you the opportunity to explore further around the nw coast it truly is beautiful.

However..... at the risk of being shot down in flames..... please excercise caution and dont think that drink/boating is any safer than drink/driving.
Yammas Angie x

2007 I will be living on Corfu.... YAY!

Offline neilelaine

« Reply #14 on: August 01, 2007, 01:27:03 AM »
    We hired a boat from San Stephanos boat hire for the day, we had a great time, probably one of the best days out of the holiday. We worked our way down the coast to Paleokastrisa, stopping off at various coves, bays and checking out the islands. We got back a bit earlier than expected to the area off San Stephanos so we went for a look at the cliffs to the north near Sunset Beach. If you are staying in Arillas they will arrange for you to be picked up and dropped off for a small fee and it is also bookable at Olgas travel in Arillas.
   No experience is needed but make sure you take in the instructions given and it may be worth spending 10 minutes with a map the day before so you have an idea where you fancy going. A depth chart is provided and any areas with shallow water and rocks is pointed out in the instruction period.

Have Fun, we did!!

Neil, Elaine, Amber & Jake.

Booking.com