Author Topic: Favourite restaurants  (Read 56262 times)

Offline vivian

• Vivian
  • Arillas regular visitor
  • ARILLIAC
  • Stay Nude it ant Rude
    • http://www.holmvalley.com
Re: Favourite restaurants
« Reply #30 on: July 24, 2007, 10:06:10 AM »
I agree with all Sandy has said and I am sure that if you had said something at the time Dimitris would have refunded you your couple of euro's and you most properly would have got a free drink as well. He is as honest as the day is long and will hate knowing that he has overcharged you. Viv

Stay Nude it ante rude

Offline BBB

• Super Member {over 100 posts}
« Reply #31 on: July 24, 2007, 12:04:27 PM »
In my opinion these "blips" can happen in any of the restaurants. You may have to wait, some of the order is missing, and so on. For us it seems okay because we're in Greece and things are more laid back. We have high expectations of eating out at home but personally don't when on holiday. It is part of what we like about Corfu. Things don't have to be "just so" There are plus points as well, you can take all evening if you like, you won't be hassled out to get another cover and it's always good value for our money.

Offline Sandy x

• Sandy
  • ARILLIAC
  • Kouklospito
« Reply #32 on: July 24, 2007, 01:09:00 PM »
Absolutely. And a note of sympathy for all the poor chefs out there in this heat. Poor Roula is always hot in her kitchen so goodness knows what it must be like at the moment. Please give your sister a hug from me Dimitri!
Sandy x

Offline Eggy

• On the Spot reporter
  • ARILLIAC
« Reply #33 on: July 24, 2007, 03:10:17 PM »
I haven't really been "Involved" in this posting as:-
a. I think it all comes down to personal choice.
b. I seem to be typing "half pagers" on any response recently.
However..... Let's make no mistake here. Every Taverna/Restaurant owner wants your business. If you're in Arillas for 2 weeks he/she would be ecstatic if you ate with them 12 days of your holiday. They would be happy if you were there for 9, and more than pleased if you turned up at least 5 times. Only once, and then every evening walk past, is not a result for them. Perhaps they wonder why? But they have other customers so things must be ok.
I've seen more than one comment about the loos at one place. Has someone told them? Probably not as we all, including me, want a hassle free holiday and, are not the Brits the worst at complaining?  But if you've eaten there and when just leaving say to to waiter " I was on the beach this morning and heard someone............. "
He may ask what you think about the loos, and hey presto, you're helping him and his business. 
The question is "Would they be offended if you tell them?" I think they are offended if you don't.
(No one tells me my carpentry work is below standard I will continue in the same way) If you think you have been overcharged then query the bill. Maybe a one off but a waiter not good at his sums can cost a that buiness a lot of money. How many times has he undercharged, and would we say anything then?
Dimitris will lose sleep when he finds out he's made an error on a bill. We were there one evening, last year, and the previous night he had made a mistake. He spent that next evening. one eye, keeping a lookout for the people should they walk by. And they did and they got a refund.
We ate at Brouklis last night and fortunately booked a table. When we got there at nine it was the only table free. Captains Table was also busy and so was Costas on the Beach. So food preference is a hard one to call.
"one man's meat" and all that.
Cheers
Negg

Offline TerryW

• ARILLIAC
« Reply #34 on: July 24, 2007, 04:19:45 PM »
I could murder a Greek Salad and a cold Mythos RIGHT NOW for lunch.

Terry

Offline Benita

• Bronze medal {over 20 posts}
« Reply #35 on: July 24, 2007, 06:07:41 PM »
Returned last night from 7 day holiday not having enough time to try all the places to eat. We enjoyed every meal we had and found them all helpful in giving you what you wanted for example jacket spud not chips. Having a curry tonight in the rain, not the same as the great food there while watching the sunset but cant have paradise all the time.
Benita

Offline kazza

« Reply #36 on: August 05, 2007, 07:24:26 PM »
Have just returned from Corfu after visiting for first time.  Brouklis was our favourite place to eat - Dimitris was lovely and food was superb.  Booking advisable! Other great places - Horizon, Thalassa (not quick but good chill out), Marina (very friendly) and Portofina.  Only one poor meal at a place at the end of the seafront road next to Kaloudis appts, set back off road (Effies?) - poor food and poor service (the only time we had a bad meal in fourteen days)!

Offline Eggy

• On the Spot reporter
  • ARILLIAC
« Reply #37 on: August 05, 2007, 08:04:49 PM »
Kazza
Very pleased you had a good holiday.
Glad to see you tried out quite a few Tavernas.
Interesting about the Horizon, as I've never been there and it's good to see a better report about Thallasa. ( Recently some poor ones)
It's a pity you didn't like Eftihia. That's the first poor review I've seen of it.
Now living here, we can only get to Arillas now & again but ate there Thursday. Mrs Egg had a rather nice stiffado and I had a pretty large pork chop with chips. I confess I did ask ffor chips. And of course nut cake to finish off. They were busier than usual that night and all customers looked happy. We know the familly quite well and have always had a lovely time there. It's just Mother & Daughter running the place at the moment so it's unfortunate you caught them at a bad time.
Let's hope you become one of the "Arillas regulars"
Regards
Negg

Offline Peckedhen

« Reply #38 on: August 05, 2007, 08:26:33 PM »
I agree with all Sandy has said and I am sure that if you had said something at the time Dimitris would have refunded you your couple of euro's and you most properly would have got a free drink as well. He is as honest as the day is long and will hate knowing that he has overcharged you. Viv

On the last night of our holiday this summer, we ate at Brouklis  and, when the bill came, discovered that neither of us had any money to pay!  My husband set off to walk back to the hotel for his wallet, when I explained to Dimitris what had happened, he insisted that we shouldn't have worried and we could have simply paid him the next time we came to Arillas.  This is the sort of guy he is!

Offline James W

• Adonis in Arillas ;-)
« Reply #39 on: August 05, 2007, 09:26:27 PM »
IMHO. 'Favourite' places to eat are a matter of personal choice, thereby, I concur with eggy

Obviously, an establishment that serves inedible food, has poor service, inattentive staff etc, would be made common knowledge.

Some folk are happy with the paper tablecloths 'Chips with everything' places.
Others, require clean linen tablecloths and napkins, and haute cuisine (like us ;-)  )

In our experience, any eaterie that has a commanding position, with a wonderful view, is going to cost you.

What IS important, is Quality Of Service, and Value For Money. I don't mean 5 Star service, at 2 Star price. We are realistic!  :-)

We're looking forward to being treated to local hospitality at Brouklis (how do I book please?), and Costas On-The-Beach, to name but two, (my wife deserves a break from cooking)  ;-)

We're only there for one week (3 - 10 September 2007) so cannot try all of the wonderful tavernas.  :-)

Either way, have a nice holiday in Arillas.  :-)

Offline smoosh

• Soon have a nice hols pic rather than work badge 1
« Reply #40 on: August 06, 2007, 10:34:46 AM »
Thanks to everyone for their opinions, can't wait to go now!  Only 3 weeks so we're really looking forward to it.

I usually go to Cyprus because the maternal half of my family are from there but we really fancied a change this year, and to stay in a hotel rather than with family so we wouldn't have to do any housework!!!  :)

On the subject of it being personal preference with regard to restaurants, I do agree but we generally only eat at restaurants on personal recommendation - even here at home!  When we're in Cyprus we always eat where the locals eat but we won't have that kind of guidance this time.  We tend to keep earlier hours than the average Greek so trying to find where the locals are at 7pm when they don't eat til 9.30 might have been a problem!

I'm arming myself with a list of all the places that have been recommended!  :)

Thanks again!

Offline alyvin

• Golden Medal {over 60 posts}
« Reply #41 on: August 07, 2007, 03:06:29 PM »
I have just returned from Arillas. I would definitely say that the Horizon was the best food we had and would definitely recommend it. The Thallassa was also very good, the service was slow but so what? I love spending ages eating and drinking, I don't want to be rushed.
Can I also say that when I was in the Brouklis in May the waiter got the bills for 2 tables mixed up and Dimitrius as soon as he realised went running down the road looking for the people even though it was only a couple of euros.

Offline alyvin

• Golden Medal {over 60 posts}
« Reply #42 on: August 07, 2007, 03:09:59 PM »
Oops. I meant that Dimitrius owed them money and not that he went running after them because they owed him 2 euros! The point I am trying to make is that he is really honest and would never intentionally overcharge anybody.

Offline annie

« Reply #43 on: August 07, 2007, 03:29:22 PM »
I have several favourite restaurants in Arillas Including Broukalis, Horizon, The Captains, The Marina to name but a few. The people are very friendly and you will have a great time with lovely food where ever you go.

Offline paul/jackie

« Reply #44 on: August 08, 2007, 09:06:35 AM »
hi all

just returned from arillas after  14 nights as most people we have several favourite restaurants including captains, graziella, rainbow, broukalis, and for fish vavilas.

This is our third year in arillas and the first time we have had a bad meal, we went to kostas on beach which was recomended by lots, all 4 of us had chicken soup to start which we all sent back because it had  lots of gristle and was tasteless, the main course was plain too but to top this we had no apology for the soup and they charged us for it, after 10 mins questioning the bill gave up and payed. 

Booking.com