Author Topic: XL FLIGHT CANCELLATIONS  (Read 13304 times)

Offline kes

• Arillas regular visitor
  • Forum Fanatic
  • Relax
    • Relax in Arillas
XL FLIGHT CANCELLATIONS
« on: July 12, 2007, 04:49:27 PM »
What`s going on with flights to Corfu is a pain in the Backside....

Just had news our inbound flight Corfu  / Manchester  8th October  with XL has been scrapped. :evil:.

Managed to get free transfer but now arrive 17th sept home on 1st October.
Just hope we can re arrange our accomodation.

We were mucked around with Thomas Cooke in May, and now this with XL...It`s definately making life difficult for the independent traveller.

Offline sue

• Forum Fanatic
Re: XL FLIGHT CANCELLATIONS
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2007, 04:55:42 PM »
i was going to book 17th sept from manchester
libra do xl thats who i was going to book with

Offline kes

• Forum Fanatic
  • Relax
    • Relax in Arillas
« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2007, 05:01:44 PM »
Sue..I had a ding dong with the girl from XL who at first said there were no seats anywhere...only after a good old moan and a few threats did she suddenly find seats for the 17th.
According to her the 8th october home flight was withdrawn...the 24th going out was full(well it aint now cos we were on it !!)  and there was nothing else available..

Offline Joe

• Forum Fanatic
    • Thomas Cook Airlines
« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2007, 05:29:08 PM »
Due to the nature of the Corfu season, you will tend to get difficulties in May and October, especially October. I'm suprised Excel even advertised October flights to be honest, we drop down to one a week then and have a much larger Tour Operater arm.

Offline kes

• Forum Fanatic
  • Relax
    • Relax in Arillas
« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2007, 06:04:42 PM »
Seems to me the Airlines chance their arm....Hmmm....
Lets see if we can make a few bob in October...  we will   show a flight a/v for October /May & see if we can make it pay..If we don`t get enough bookings well we` just cancell it ,give em all their money back and we`ve made a few bob in interest.....nice little earner ... can`t loose really...
Maybe we are getting what we deserve for shopping for the cheapest flights?
If I sound  dismayed I am ...not to mention the owners of accomodation etc who will be non too happy...I know some now close at the beginning of October due to lack of numbers,but this just makes it worse...not be long before the season is June to September....
Rant Rant Rant!!!!

Offline Joe

• Forum Fanatic
    • Thomas Cook Airlines
« Reply #5 on: July 12, 2007, 06:47:42 PM »
Some flights in October are cancelled due to limited slot availability being granted by Cofoit and Greek airspace. Can't say if this is affecting the Excel flights but it may explain why the flights can no longer operate. 

Offline Gary & Julie

« Reply #6 on: July 12, 2007, 09:30:32 PM »
Maybe anyone who is thinking of going in Oct should get it firmed up and booked,

would this help the flight to fill up and stay viable.

We usually stay for several weeks during the summer but to be honest, the last week in Oct is very special, with very few tourists around, you almost have the place to yourself and the locals have more time to spend with you in long sunny afternoons drinking mythos.

Should I book now ?

Offline Sandy x

• Sandy
  • ARILLIAC
  • Kouklospito
« Reply #7 on: July 12, 2007, 11:25:51 PM »
I tried booking flights from Gatwick for October about 8 weeks ago and was surprised XL was not advertising any. I just thought they had decided to end their season at the end of September. So we have booked with BA now on Friday 5th.
Sandy x

Offline Mick and Jill

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #8 on: July 13, 2007, 02:52:59 PM »
I'm starting to panic again after reading this thread.  We had our outbound flight from Newcastle cancelled for the 21st September although they said our flight home was ok.  Now having to fly from Bristol on the 21st, problem was we had already paid for our accommodation independently.  Couldn't face going through all the hassle with phone calls again.

Think I will phone them later and ask for a confirmation letter as we still haven't received one.

Jill
Jill XXX

Offline kes

• Forum Fanatic
  • Relax
    • Relax in Arillas
« Reply #9 on: July 13, 2007, 02:57:16 PM »
Yes its becoming a bit of a lottery,,fortunately we had no problem re booking our accomodation for the ammended flight dates....
To be honest I don`t know how the carriers  get away with it....

Offline Joe

• Forum Fanatic
    • Thomas Cook Airlines
« Reply #10 on: July 13, 2007, 03:04:02 PM »
XL does seem to the problem for you guys. We have cancelled 2 flights this year to Corfu, and one was due to not being allowed entry into Greek Airspace as it was to congested, therefore we consolidated with another carrier. First Choice, Monarch, and My Travel are all running uninterrupted schedules apart from the inevitable tech delays.

Offline burger

• Golden Medal {over 60 posts}
« Reply #11 on: July 14, 2007, 01:46:35 AM »
sky travel seem to be pushing october for corfu than any other monthmi wonder if it's down to profitability?,mmm

Offline vivian

• Vivian
  • ARILLIAC
  • Stay Nude it ant Rude
    • http://www.holmvalley.com
« Reply #12 on: July 14, 2007, 07:00:33 AM »
So glad mine has been sorted at last (Im still keeping fingers crossed tough) couldnt do with it all again, We need to get away. Sue I hate to put a damper on things for you but I would check your flight because we were going with Libra on XL when it got cancelled and we didnt get a letter tell I rang up. Kes and Kath I know its a hassle for you but at least we will be able to buy you a drink now. Love Viv

Stay Nude it ante rude

Offline kes

• Forum Fanatic
  • Relax
    • Relax in Arillas
« Reply #13 on: July 14, 2007, 11:28:16 AM »
Viv
what dates are you in Arillas....I will hold you to the drink.... ;-) have you received the cd`s I sent...?

Offline vivian

• Vivian
  • ARILLIAC
  • Stay Nude it ant Rude
    • http://www.holmvalley.com
« Reply #14 on: July 15, 2007, 11:26:12 AM »
Hi Kes, not as yet, hope they arrive Monday will let you know. We arrive in Arillas on 14th September (fingers crossed) and you will be more then welcome to that drink. Hope to see a few more of you there as well. Viv

Stay Nude it ante rude

Booking.com