Author Topic: Takeoff From Corfu Airport Plus Aerial Photo of Arillas  (Read 18877 times)

Offline Janis

• ARILLIAC
Re: Takeoff From Corfu Airport Plus Aerial Photo of Arillas
« Reply #15 on: July 30, 2007, 05:42:51 PM »
Cheryl - I hate flying too; however I've recently changed the way I deal with it and, so far, it seems to work...
I used to grip the aeroplane seats for so long it took ages to prise my fingers off - but now instead I link my fingers together, loosely, on my lap, close my eyes and breathe deeply.  I once heard that breathing deeply helped with any situation but each time I tried I lost concentration!!
However, I'm finding now that it really helps whenever I take off or land. Perhaps gripping the arm rests makes me more tense, I'm not sure, but I find I can almost "nod off" until we've properly taken off.
I still keep my seat belt fastened for the duration of the journey, though!

Offline Cheryl2307

• Arillas regular visitor
  • Forum Fanatic
« Reply #16 on: July 31, 2007, 11:18:26 AM »
I'll try that Janis thanks.  Gripping the arm rests does seem to really tense you up all over so your way of coping sounds much better.  I'll let you know how I get on when I get back!
Cheryl O

Offline Smiffypink

• ARILLIAC
« Reply #17 on: July 31, 2007, 02:11:34 PM »
Oh i love flying, everything about it, the airport, getting on the plane, having a read of the in flight magazine, then the take off all the while looking out the window, then the landing, its all exciting, i just hope i manage this long haul flight im due to do with as much enthusiasm!!

Offline Cheryl2307

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #18 on: July 31, 2007, 02:20:34 PM »
I grew up in South Africa and did a couple of trips back to UK and would recommend, having watched my parents, that you don't bother speaking to Brett on the way home as nerves and tempers will be a bit frayed!! Never seemed to be a problem going on holiday I think it's when you get on the plane to come home you just want to get home, if you know what I mean!  Sorry for waffling on a bit!
Cheryl O

Offline Smiffypink

• ARILLIAC
« Reply #19 on: July 31, 2007, 02:45:37 PM »
No i know what you mean, we were like it coming back from Greece, i managed to nod off which i rarely do and Brett poked me and woke me up, he got the death stare haha!!  Its true, when youre on your way home you just want to get home.

For the flights to Mexico ive equipped us with little inflatable pillows and eye masks, so that should sort us out!  Brett will just sleep, ill watch the tv for a while then try to sleep, heres hoping the time flies by, literally!!

Offline gaye

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #20 on: July 31, 2007, 03:11:07 PM »
I hate landing and always get very panicky so thanks for the advice janis will give that a try!

I also hate it when everybody leaps up to get hand luggage before the doors open I feel really claustrophobic. I often wonder whether I should ask to be released from my seat before everyone else......feel foolish and neurotic though11
gaygo

Offline TerryW

• ARILLIAC
« Reply #21 on: July 31, 2007, 03:19:04 PM »
Last year (August 2006) Channel 4 televised a program about the fear of flying see ...

http://www.channel4.com/health/microsites/0-9/4health/mind/wwr_phobias.html

Some of the footage can be seen here...   

http://www.lawrenceleyton.com/softwareAVI1.php  ( it takes a few minutes to load ).

The treatment involved tapping parts of the head with fingers, such as cheeks and forehead. A friend of mine  was petrified of flying, but after doing the course they can now fly anywhere without any fear. I think some of the treatment involved something called EFT.

There is an example of EFT here http://123eft.com/eft-tour.htm

Terry

Offline Smiffypink

• ARILLIAC
« Reply #22 on: July 31, 2007, 04:28:43 PM »
I saw that programme, very good it was, i think there was only one woman who still couldnt fly after the course, all the others were tapping away on their heads and were fine flying, amazing!

Offline Cheryl2307

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #23 on: August 01, 2007, 01:03:36 PM »
Gaye I hate that too, could scream when they do it - I can never understand it, they can't get off the plane any quicker, can they??  I also hate how everyone crowds round the luggage carousel, if everyone stood back, waited until they saw their cases then moved forward bet it would be a lot quicker!!  Moan over!
Cheryl O

Offline Smiffypink

• ARILLIAC
« Reply #24 on: August 01, 2007, 02:01:21 PM »
I think people think that if they stand up and start getting their bags etc then that will make the stewardesses open the doors quicker, but it doesnt!!  So you think people wouldve realised by now!

Also the baggage carousel, well when we flew home and were waiting at Gatwick, this woman was standing next to me and Brett, she saw her case come out, she grabbed the handle and couldnt lift the thing, so rather than let go she kept hold of it and let it drag her round the carousel, she was just banging into people as she went, as you can imagine she wasnt very popular and had a few people shouting at her!

Offline Shuey

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #25 on: August 01, 2007, 02:43:01 PM »
That made me smile Smiffy!!

I totally agree Cheryl. It is so annoying when people get up as soon as the plane has landed and start getting there belongings out of the overhead storage and are so impatient.  We just sit and look at them as if they are stupid.  They dont get in the airport any quicker as they have to wait longer on the bus provided to get you there.

And how annoying is it when a whole family stands by the carousel completely blocking the view for everyone else.  On member is quite enough with family and trolley waiting a little way back!!!   Rant over ;)

Offline blondegirl

• ARILLIAC
« Reply #26 on: August 01, 2007, 02:52:19 PM »
We feel exactly the same.  We like to wait until they have all got off and be the last on the bus, by then the bags are almost ready on the carousel.  Mind you, Lyndas was the very last bag off the carousel, typical!  Its so true that people will actually hang on to the bags and go with the carousel, very silly and dangerous. Why dont they wait at the furthest end and pick it up then.
If you want the rainbow, you gotta put up with the rain.

Offline Sandy x

• Sandy
  • ARILLIAC
  • Kouklospito
« Reply #27 on: August 01, 2007, 03:00:47 PM »
I get particularly annoyed when parents let young children stand by the carousel - it's not as if they are going to be able to lift the bags off.
Sandy x

Offline sharonF

• ARILLIAC
« Reply #28 on: August 01, 2007, 03:13:16 PM »
That's a real wind up for me as well Sandy, when they let youngsters stand at the carousel.  If they are at the side of you they are going to get hit in the face with a suitcase, it makes me want to yell at the parents!  I hate flying, particularly the take off and landing, I pay extra for allocated seats so i can guarantee i'm not on the wing because that really terrifies me, so it shows how much I love Arillas because i'm flying twice in 1 year!! ha ha. 

Offline kevin.g

• ARILLIAC
  • Kevin and julie
« Reply #29 on: August 02, 2007, 10:26:57 PM »
i remember the first time i went to corfu 10yrs ago they use to shut off the road at the end of the runway as the planes took off, and it made me laugh to see cars turned over from the blast of the engines because they thought they would get passed before it tookoff......hehe.............

Booking.com