Author Topic: Flight FCA3105 to East Mids  (Read 11507 times)

Offline drw

Flight FCA3105 to East Mids
« on: July 19, 2007, 09:18:31 PM »
Hi all
Has anybody heard anything more about Flight FCA3105 to east mids on Mon 16th
we were on the flight that had to return to Corfu with engine failure on take off (very scary) but have not been able to find out any information ?????
thanks drw

Offline TerryW

• Arillas regular visitor
  • ARILLIAC
Re: Flight FCA3105 to East Mids
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2007, 09:45:58 PM »
I bet that was scary DRW.

What time did you take off? Our flight took off at 14.40 pm Corfu Time on the same day

Terry

Offline drw

« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2007, 10:39:06 PM »
Took off early about mid day, 12.15 flt, engine packed up about 1-2 mins into flight (still on the steep climb) the plane dropped like turbulance and some alarms sounded, the pilot pulled it steady but couldnt seem to climb anymore, he then announced a slight technical fault and we would have to return to Corfu, it sounded like he tried for a time to re-start the engine but in the end flew out to sea and went round in a slow circle that took about 20 mins seemed like longer and made a good landing, we were very low over the water for all the flight and it seemed like the water was getting closer, all the fire engines were scrambled and as we approached we could see people had come out of the buildings to watch, the the plane went very quiet i think everybody was holding their breath everyone was very happy to be back on the ground and breathed a big sigh of relief.

Offline TerryW

• ARILLIAC
« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2007, 11:07:19 PM »
Phew! That sounds real scary. We were in the departure area from about 12.00pm and later on I did see some activity around a First Choice Aircraft. Was that who you flew with?

I guess these things could put you off flying, but on the other hand it shows that there are some good safety procedures in case of a problem.

I bet people at Kanoni had a good view of it.

Your post is very descriptive and I quite enjoyed reading it. I don't think I will show my wife though.

TerryW

Offline Smiffypink

• ARILLIAC
« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2007, 11:12:17 AM »
It wouldve been a First Choice plane, FCA of the flight number means them.

That does sound very scary, i think i wouldve been a little bit scared, but as you say, it just shows you how trained the pilots are, with an engine failure they still manage to fly the plane for 20 minutes without any problems.

How long was it until you flew home after that, did it mean a lengthy delay??

Offline Joe

• Forum Fanatic
    • Thomas Cook Airlines
« Reply #5 on: July 20, 2007, 11:57:49 AM »
If you had a lot of free time your aircraft could have limped slowly to the UK on one engine but not really recommended, they can even blowout on the runway and still get into the air. I think I mentioned it a while ago in another post but the problem at Corfu is all the ground obsticles such as the mountains and antenna's meaning the aircraft can't get up up fast enough to clear them, this leads to sharp turns and descents to get it back round and on the ground as quickly (and safely) as possible.

While I can totally understand how unsettling it all was, you were all perfectly safe. Fortunatley its very very rare!

Offline vivian

• Vivian
  • ARILLIAC
  • Stay Nude it ant Rude
    • http://www.holmvalley.com
« Reply #6 on: July 20, 2007, 12:50:52 PM »
Hi Joe, I know its very very rare but I still wouldnt want it to happen when im up there or anybody else thats a bit nervous of flying in the first place. Viv

Stay Nude it ante rude

Offline Shuey

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #7 on: July 20, 2007, 01:37:22 PM »
That does sound scary.  I dont think i will tell the hubby as he hates flying at the best of times.

Offline drw

« Reply #8 on: July 20, 2007, 06:14:25 PM »
Hi Terry
Sorry for the  delay in my reply work calls, yes we were the 1st choice flight, after landing we were taken back into the departure loung then through to a seperate area we had 4 reps assigned to us and they quickly sorted out water drinks and a snack for everyone, after about an hour the pilot came and spoke to us and confirmed a major technical fault ie engine fialure, and also confirmed that our plane was kaput he thanked us for our patience and informed us that coaches had been arranged to take us to an hotel for lunch and that arrangements were underway to relocate us to the UK as soon as possible.
We were taken to a 5 star hotel quite near the airport and 12 rooms were made available for people to use for showers etc, you could book a 30 min slot at the reception and new towels etc were placed in the rooms between each slot, the reps stayed with us at all times and were very helpful, they were available for questioning and never left the hotel.
The staff at the hotel were brilliant and seemed to understand some people were quite shocked and at no notice managed to supply us all with a hot buffet meal and sweet/fruit by 3.30, drinks were also provided, during lunch the reps informed us that a new plane had been scheduled to pick us up and they were aiming to get it to us for a 02.30 departure and this would be confirmed later, they also had arranged dinner for everyone at 9pm wich meant you didnt have to hang arround the hotel just waiting for news, some people walked into town or to the beach some stayed round the pool where towels were supplied.
At dinner they confirmed the new plane was expected to arrive at  01.30, at about 11,30 they told us that coaches would be arriving at midnight to take us to the airport, at the airport we were issued with new bording cards and went direct to security and we were allowed to take any unopened duty free drinks back through with us they also confirmed our replacement flight was on route to us and was expected to depart corfu at 02.30, they actually called us to board at 01.15 and after identifying our checked in luggage that had been placed on the apron.
We boarded our replacement plane to be greeted by our captain and his flight crew who were much praised and thanked and flew back to the uk with us and stayed seated with the passengers for the duration of the flight, this i felt was a great help to the many normally nervous passengers who were now more anctuous about flying, the captain took some stick from his crew about not being allowed to fly us home in case he broke another plane, our return flight was uneventful and we arrived saftley back to east mids at about 3am-ish cant remember exactly very tired and relieved.
I cant praise the reps who stayed with us all throughout enough, normally we dont have a lot of contact with the reps, and only met our rep whos name escapes me on departure transfer, as we tend to look after outselves and i know some reps can be pretty poor but on this occasion these four came good and i think handled the situation very professionally.
We had a fantastic time in Arillas and can't wait to return drw. 

xx   

Offline Sandy x

• Sandy
  • ARILLIAC
  • Kouklospito
« Reply #9 on: July 20, 2007, 06:33:28 PM »
That sounds a real adventure. Glad it all worked out in the end for you.
Sandy x

Offline TerryW

• ARILLIAC
« Reply #10 on: July 20, 2007, 09:29:38 PM »
Hi drw,

How can anyone start a post, as good as that, with the word "sorry". I loved reading it, just as much as your previous post.

Its amazing that all this "Excitement" was happening whilst we were in Departures. I do recollect an announcement asking if there was a doctor in the Airport at about 1.30pm, so maybe one of the passengers from your flight felt ill. I think I would have done.

The one good thing is that you ended on a positive note, that you will return to Arillas, so its good that you haven't been "put off" from flying again.

Terry

Offline vivian

• Vivian
  • ARILLIAC
  • Stay Nude it ant Rude
    • http://www.holmvalley.com
« Reply #11 on: July 21, 2007, 11:14:00 AM »
Thanks for that account of your adventure, enjoyed reading it especially the happy ending. Viv

Stay Nude it ante rude

Offline Peckedhen

• Super Member {over 100 posts}
« Reply #12 on: July 21, 2007, 12:24:36 PM »
It sounds as though you were looked after really well. 

It did, however, make me wonder - how would independent travellers fare if this were to happen to them?  Do the reps take everyone under their wing in cases like this or, would we just be left to fend for ourselves?

Offline drw

« Reply #13 on: July 23, 2007, 02:16:33 PM »
Hi all Thanks for the kind replies, aplolgise for disappearing work keeps getting me and stealing all my time.

Interesting thought about the independent traveller peckedhen, cant speak for the general rule but we were all looked after together, appart form checking our names against the flight list back at the airport, (more i think to check they had everyone together) we were all under their wings, the four reps were i think from 3 different operators, 2 dressed in horrible pink uniforms, who i thought deserved sympathy for having to wear them and 2 others 1 i recognised from last year i think was 1st choice but it didn't really matter as they worked together for everyone.

It personally has not put me off flying at all Terry, though i have to admit feeling quite relieved to get back on the ground, a bit disapointedly my life didn't flash before me and a bit guiltily i didn't think of my family i did say to Dawn that if this is it at least we have had fun, Dawn  however was desperatly trying to finish her book (joke) as i said can't wait to go back to Arillas and might make september, have booked a gap in the diary from the 10th  but it might have to be a bit flexible because of work lets hope drw.

Offline Joe

• Forum Fanatic
    • Thomas Cook Airlines
« Reply #14 on: July 25, 2007, 06:11:25 PM »
If you had booked seat only at that particular flight the Tour Operater is under no obligation to help you, however as in most cases the Tour Operator and Airline are under the same banner so you will be equally looked after, as long as our Reps know you exist they will look after you.

Booking.com