Author Topic: scooter/quad buggy hire arillas  (Read 37149 times)

Offline kevin.g

• Arillas regular visitor
  • ARILLIAC
  • Kevin and julie
scooter/quad buggy hire arillas
« on: July 21, 2007, 11:02:16 PM »
we used akti travel on the main road next to the atm, i found them very helpful.we hired a 50 cc scooter to buzz about on, at a charge of 85 euros a week with helmets and insurance included, the beach buggys were 250 euros for the week ,quads not sure of the price but had a good range ,but if you want car hire .2mins walk towards the beach arillas car hire had a good range of small &new motors for hire.

Offline Eggy

• On the Spot reporter
  • ARILLIAC
Re: scooter/quad buggy hire arillas
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2007, 12:41:39 PM »
Chris & Ang got a good deal on their Quad Bike recently from Olgas Travel and also a good deal for us, on a hire car, which we wanted for our first week.
( saved 28 euros against one of the the other operators )
She seems very competitive on prices particularly as she's just set this new business up and, Olga being Olga, is keen to do well.
Quite often worth asking about a transfer from the Airport. She sometimes has a mini bus there. If she gets you on one of those it's cheaper than a taxi. And it goes directly to Arillas.
As Kevin G said , Akti Travel are also good for scooters. They seem very safety aware as I've often spotted them running though the "Do's & Don'ts" for prospective hirers.
Nice people there.
Negg

Offline John B

• Holiday in Heaven
  • Super Member {over 100 posts}
« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2007, 04:36:02 PM »
Can you hire a scooter for the day, and if so does anyone know how much?

Thanks

John

Offline Eggy

• On the Spot reporter
  • ARILLIAC
« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2007, 06:23:33 PM »
John B.
I'm sure Arkokal Travel hire them for a day but not sure of cost. It may work a little like car hire for the day where you get a small charge for the kilometres driven.
They are contactable through this website.
Negg

Offline John B

• Holiday in Heaven
  • Super Member {over 100 posts}
« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2007, 06:52:30 PM »
Thanks Negg,

John

Offline MattB

« Reply #5 on: July 30, 2007, 10:44:19 PM »
We rented a "buggy" last week from Arkokal Travel.  It cost us 80 euros for two days hire, and it came with 1/2 a tank of fuel.

It was ok, but only had a 50cc engine - and as I'm not exactly going to win any "Mr Thin" competitions, it was a bit underpowered!  Top speed on the flat was about 35kmph.  All the same, we drove to Roda on the first day we had it, and Sidari the next.

Matt

Offline Eggy

• On the Spot reporter
  • ARILLIAC
« Reply #6 on: July 31, 2007, 02:07:04 PM »
Someone tell me if  I'm wrong but e80 for 2 days hire. You can get a hire car for 3 days for less than that - Can't you?
My personal thought is that these things are a road hazard. As slow as a scooter and harder to pass. -- and with the ability to stop dead in the middle of a T-junction.
( Map in hand )
Don't the hirers fit some sort of "restrictor" to the throttle to prevent high speeds?
Any mechanics out there with info?
Negg

Offline Ang

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #7 on: August 01, 2007, 12:53:16 AM »
Double that and a bit.. a quad for a week,easy..mind you it still has a problem on hills but a tad more comfort for the chill out week
Ang

Offline M n M

• Arillas Addict
« Reply #8 on: August 01, 2007, 11:53:57 AM »
I can only agree with what Eggy says, but they are very dangerous and unstable and so underpowered that you can be unable to get out of trouble, either hire a car or a proper motorbike,providing you do ride or drive at home, have a full licence for them and take it easy.
Whilst we were in Arillas last year during late June early July an experienced motorcyclist hired a quad, took his wife on the back, he tried to go round a bend up in the hills when a car came the other way and they ended up leaving the road, outcome was one broken foot, mutiple cuts, bruises, doctor and hospital visits, loss of most of their holiday and to cap it all, over £1000 for the writeoff quad and all to pay for because their insurance did not cover it. Another young lady hired a scooter, never ridden one before, visits to the doctor and xrays cost her money but the worst thing for her was the scars that she would have all over her arms and face for a long time, she was not  happy.
If you do not have a full licence for a vehicle you are not insured. Pleae take time to read your holiday insurance documents. I know they are boring, but.?.
Please take care, slow down and enjoy life, walking may take longer but it's such a  nice way to meet others and it enables you able to do justice to your evening meal and nights entertainment.
walk slowly,enjoy,
Mick.

Offline Eggy

• On the Spot reporter
  • ARILLIAC
« Reply #9 on: August 01, 2007, 01:27:50 PM »
Good advice there Mick. - Read that holiday insurance!!.

But, generally, put these bikes in experienced hands like Chris & Ang and they're fine. First timers without knowledge of the roads and not a lot of power to get you out of trouble then........
Mind you, Chris has seen these roads before so knows what to expect.
(Given the time he probably would have tweaked it up a bit)
Cheers
Negg

Offline Ang

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #10 on: August 10, 2007, 12:08:10 PM »
Hi Negg just saw this post and thanks for your confidence in my hubands motoring skills ha ha, a quad is under powered especially when going up steep hills with me on the back, but as Neggs said we have had plenty of experience of the roads around Arillas and Corfu,we use a quad for the purpose of getting too and from our accomodation(hubby got big back problemo so walking very painfull) and the occasional spin up the mountains, you have always got to think of whats ahead and drive with caution, we would never use it to travel far,a car or jeep is the best for sight seeing.Always make sure you have the right insurance before you hire.
Ang

Offline TONYNEW

• Arillas 2016
  • Forum Fanatic
  • Dionysos
    • Tonys webshots
« Reply #11 on: March 29, 2008, 05:47:40 PM »
When abroad we always hire a scooter,i myself have had and still have a motorcycle here in the UK a yamaha 600 fazer to be precise i also raced at international level as a sidecar passenger ,what i do notice in Corfu some folk who hire these have never been on a scooter before,i watched as 1 young lady hired the scooter but wanted to go int the opposite direction to what it was facing she nearly managed to get knocked off by a car straight away while trying to turn around she had no control what so ever over the machine
In the end the guy from the hire shop told her to get off in future and push the scooter to the other side of the road to turn it around, to me though it was an accident waiting to happen
I would say if your not competent on a motorcycle leave well alone hire a car,this is not to say that with my experience i cant have an accident it can happen to anyone but knowing how a machine reacts in certain circumstances and knowing that you need eyes in the back of your head does put me in better position than a person who has never ridden a bike
Hope this makes sense happy riding& driving folks
                                                      Tony

Offline justphil

• ARILLIAC
  • Arillas is in my soul
« Reply #12 on: March 29, 2008, 07:42:02 PM »
Good advice Tony. We have a friend who has Multiple Sclerosis. She is an expert biker but has just sold her Harley Davidson because she can no longer be safe. Holidays are not about injury or worse, they are about finding nirvana. We all tend to drink more (except me - I doubt I could do so, ask Sandy or riggers...) on holiday and should leave motorised vehicles alone. Plenty of locals can earn a crust helping us to get where we want to go.

We have solved the problem - we don't drink and drive, we just drink!

lol
phil

Offline darrent

« Reply #13 on: April 11, 2008, 07:56:33 PM »
hi, i went to kos 2 years back and hired a vitara. i cant remember the amount off times the QUADS got in your way.these are very underpowerd and very very dangerous. they are the type off thing you would see a young child on here. My other thought is,are you insured with your tour oparater travel insurance if you ride these?

Offline M n M

• Arillas Addict
« Reply #14 on: April 11, 2008, 10:17:38 PM »
darrent, I would say a definite NO to this unless you have a British licence that entitles you to ride one and you would need to get full insurance from the hire company also making sure that you paid all excesses.
Deff not worth riding. Mick

Booking.com