Author Topic: scooter/quad buggy hire arillas  (Read 37161 times)

Offline justphil

• Arillas regular visitor
  • ARILLIAC
  • Arillas is in my soul
Re: scooter/quad buggy hire arillas
« Reply #15 on: April 11, 2008, 10:41:43 PM »
darrent - that doesn't seem to be an issue in Arillas. Most visitors would rather sunbathe and drink/eat in our hosts' tavernas than rush about on motorbikes. Or maybe prefer to dance in the Malibu or Cocnut. We can also be a bit "cool" however old we are.

Killing yourself, insured or not, seems to be a bit of a waste of time to me.

best wishes
phil

Offline darrent

« Reply #16 on: April 12, 2008, 12:01:36 AM »
hi phil,sorry i dont agree, when you hire any transport,you go out and about, if you have hired a car and been on the roads where these quads are and you will know what i mean.alot waver and stray in and out from the edge of the road, i have seen the aftermath of this,1 serious injury.1 badly grazed, and the part of kos where it happend was very quiet.i would certainly not tell anyone that they are ok with no experience.it is only a matter of time before there is a fatel!.  anyhow i will be there 31 may, so i will be looking for a jeep lol, best wishes d.

Offline Ang

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #17 on: April 12, 2008, 12:48:26 AM »
Well!! we will hire a quad again reasons being as seen on my last post in Aug 2007.I also recall an incident some 10 or more years back in Arillas when my husband had the missfortune of being pushed off the road whilst on a moped, by an idiot who thought it great to speed through the village with his family in a Jeep!!! BUT did not know the roads nor the nasty bend just past the sea breeze..the result..hubby still has the scars, the driver didnt even stop to see if he was okay.
You cant single out any one mode of transport, what you can is the driver.
Ang

Offline justphil

• ARILLIAC
  • Arillas is in my soul
« Reply #18 on: April 12, 2008, 01:15:15 AM »
This will be controversial but said from the heart of Arillas hippies.

We have been the teachers of you youngsters who kill yourselves on the roads. As a teacher I have lost four youngsters over my time. You are not indestructible.

Learn from the people on this forum, and better from our Greek hosts that life is worth more than that. Enjoy it but don't waste it.

Offline darrent

« Reply #19 on: April 16, 2008, 11:27:33 PM »
philand well said on ur last coment.

Offline darrent

« Reply #20 on: April 16, 2008, 11:28:02 PM »
comment , duuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu

Offline justphil

• ARILLIAC
  • Arillas is in my soul
« Reply #21 on: April 17, 2008, 01:01:23 AM »
darrent - the members silence has said it all. no more to say. they agree like you do that life is worth living and can be much more interesting than quad bikes. Some from romania are interested in big waves and body boards, some in food, some in entertaining nights at malibu or coconut, some in walks to afionas, some in books, some in mythos (me) but it says it all - there is so much to life in our group's favourite place that we don't need any more.

Find a girlfriend, take her to Arillas and swim naked at the far end of the beach. Have a beer in Splish Splash (Kaloudis)and eat in Thalassa. Watch the sun set and take photos. Sit on the beach in the moonlight (but here's the down to earth bit - protect her from the mosquitos) and then have a romantic and loving walk up the hill to your apartments. The rest I'll leave to your imagination.

(I missed out the bit before the romantic walk, meet local friends and drink 6 black russians in the Coconut)

Jen and me still do exactly that. Including the six black russians. There's more to life than killing yourself on the roads. Even when you are young.

take care
Phil

Offline Sandy x

• Sandy
  • ARILLIAC
  • Kouklospito
« Reply #22 on: April 17, 2008, 03:40:10 AM »
Philandjen.....my sentiments exactly.....jen - we have heard a lot recently about your sisters....but does phil have a spare brother?.....lol
Sandy x

Offline Colprice

« Reply #23 on: July 24, 2008, 06:38:50 PM »
Hey Phill,

You really summed up a perfect day on your last post. Im going to definately give the 6 Black Russians a go amongst the other things you suggested. Cant wait until the 22nd August. Kaloudis here we come>>>>>

;)

Col

Offline justphil

• ARILLIAC
  • Arillas is in my soul
« Reply #24 on: July 24, 2008, 07:44:26 PM »
Enjoy Colprice. If you've read any more of the forum you will see I have provided a recipe for two brilliant weeks in Arillas. The new Mr Beeton?

Kaloudis is great. You will never have a problem there. Mention Arillas Anthrax at quiz night and he will laugh. Phil and Jen to anyone else....

lol
Phil

Offline blondegirl

• ARILLIAC
« Reply #25 on: September 29, 2008, 12:25:00 PM »
I must say that this year I did get fed up with having to jump out of the way of the quad bikes and scooters.  Goodness knows what it would have been like it high season!

We saw one family in one of those buggy things... 4 of them in it... parents and two VERY LITTLE children, babies really... one stuck in the middle and the other on a lap.. I couldnt believe it!  You wouldnt dream of doing that in the UK without seatbelts etc. and I thought it was very dangerous on roads you dont know which are dodgy anyway, especially after its wet with the olive oil on the roads.  Pretty stupid really as you hear of so many nasty accidents with those things.  Some of them were going pretty fast too especially around the bends from the BS and Sea Breeze which has a nasty corner.. accident waiting to happen I think.

There, I have had a moan!  sorry
If you want the rainbow, you gotta put up with the rain.

Offline Melissa_x

• Golden Medal {over 60 posts}
« Reply #26 on: September 29, 2008, 02:27:29 PM »
My boyfriend always wants to hire a quad everytime we go but we never have yet, it does look like fun but Ive also heard about all the accidents and the roads in Corfu aren't exactly the best - Billy from Kaloudis was driving us back to the airport last year, a lorry went past and we were nearly down the cliffside - that put me off - plus they drive like maniacs lol. I think I'll stick to boats or walking :)
TOO excited for my long awaited return to Arillas - Sept 2016!! :-D

Offline Paul C

• Arillas Addict
« Reply #27 on: September 29, 2008, 08:25:40 PM »
I have often hired a scooter over many years of holidaying in the Greek Islands and have enjoyed every minute. That said, you have to ride them according to the conditions of the roads.I also always insist on being supplied with a good crash helmet which we both ALWAYS use. Even just nipping out on a short journey. As for a Quad Bike I would never hire one, they are unstable on bends unless you are used to them. Not everyone who uses a scooter or quad is a maniac. Some of us try to drive with care and consideration for other people.

Paul

Booking.com