Author Topic: Thoughts and Sadness  (Read 2309 times)

Offline TerryW

• Arillas regular visitor
  • ARILLIAC
Thoughts and Sadness
« on: July 25, 2007, 02:15:11 PM »
I am sorry to use the forum for the reason that is described below but I just need to pass on my sympathy and sadness to a couple who were in the next room to Helen and myself at the Horizon Hotel.

The couple were really nice ( we never exchanged names )  and they were very helpful to us because it was our first visit to Arillas. We would see them going to and from the beach everyday, and had a quick chat on most days.

On the middle Saturday of the holiday, the wife was swimming in the sea, and the husband took a call on his mobile. The news was that his wife’s mum and dad had been walking on the pavement near their home and had been hit by a car that had gone out of control. Her mum was killed and her dad injured. This is a terrible thing to happen at any time but for it to happen when you are on holiday at a place you love so much is unimaginable. And, just imagine how the husband felt knowing that when his wife came out of the sea, he would somehow have to tell her the news.

I have massive goose pimples typing this and I just hope this is read by someone who knows about the tragedy and can pass on our thoughts and sympathy’s on to the family involved.

There was an advertising brochure at the Horizon Hotel that had been written by a Norwegian gentleman who lives in Afionas. In the brochure, he repeated the phrase “Live the Moment” quite a few times and I must admit that at each sunset or each meal during the second week especially, it did make me  “live the moment”.

I am not very good at things like this, but I just needed to do something, because my wife and I are still feeling a lot sadness for the couple, and just wanted them to know that our thoughts have been with since the tragedy happened.

TerryW

Offline blondegirl

• ARILLIAC
Re: Thoughts and Sadness
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2007, 05:25:28 PM »
Hi, Terry I remember you telling us of this couple when we met in Arillas.  I have often wondered how they were knowing they had to fly back early.  What a terrible thing to happen and what sadness they must know.  Our thoughts were with them as we tried to imagine how awful that must have been for them. There are not enough words for comfort is there.
If you want the rainbow, you gotta put up with the rain.

Offline Lindypops

• ARILLIAC
« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2007, 10:56:13 PM »
Very sad terryw, but you put it over very nicely.
Lindypops.

Offline Mick and Jill

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2007, 11:24:10 PM »
On our first trip to Arillas we arrived in the early hours of the morning.  We had just settled into bed when we heard really loud crying and screaming.  In the morning we were told that a couple had arrived the same day as us and the husband had had a massive heart attack and died through the night.  The lady was moved to another hotel but had to wait until the Monday before she could get a flight home. 

We spoke to Hannah at the Coconut Bar about this and she told us that a day earlier a couple who had gone to Arillas for years had been in the bar drinking till the early hours.  On leaving the lady collapsed and died in the street outside.

I still think of these people when we visit Arillas.

Jill
Jill XXX

Offline Shuey

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2007, 10:39:46 AM »
How awful.  It must be dreadful especially all the arrangements that have to be made.  It is bad enough having to make arrangements in this country but being abroad just does not bare thinking about.

A colleague of my husbands died on the plane a couple of months ago coming home from Spain - he was in his mid 40's.  His wife and children were with him. 

I just cannot imagine being in this position and hope i never am. 

My heart goes out to anyone in this position when i here stories like this.

Offline Smiffypink

• ARILLIAC
« Reply #5 on: July 26, 2007, 12:33:12 PM »
I felt really sad reading these stories, its awful to think that that could happen when youre are on holiday, my heart goes out to people in these situations.

Booking.com