Author Topic: Alexandros Studios - Air Conditioning?  (Read 14728 times)

Offline Oregano

• Silver Medal {over 40 posts}
    • Chris Ormston
Alexandros Studios - Air Conditioning?
« on: July 28, 2007, 05:30:17 PM »
Hello,
I was just wondering if the studios have air conditioning.  I'm getting soft in my old age! 

In my youth I dealt with hot Greek nights by buying a huge bottle of wine on the way back to my apartment, then sitting on the balcony drinking, reading and waiting to pass out lol!  Now I fear my liver couldn't take it any more!!

Offline kevin.g

• Arillas regular visitor
  • ARILLIAC
  • Kevin and julie
Re: Alexandros Studios - Air Conditioning?
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2007, 07:47:53 PM »
i just cant place alexandros apts can any one help me .im having a senior moment?

Offline James W

• Adonis in Arillas ;-)
  • Super Member {over 100 posts}
« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2007, 08:09:50 PM »
Hi Oregano and kevin.g.

The Alexandros Studios are near the far end of the main road near the Bakery.

Perry and Jimmys and the Rainbow Bar are nearby.

How do I know this? Because my wife and I are booked to stay there in September 2007  :-)

As for the air conditioning?

The information I have is that it is :-

"Set in its own gardens, the Alexandros studios offer simply furnished Greek-style accommodation in a quiet location set off the main road through Arilas."

"Accommodation Studios have twin/double beds with shower room, kitchenette and balcony or terrace."

"Please note: This property is not suitable for disabled guests as there are steps within the unit."   Drat!!! Wish I'd read this bit before booking!!!   ;-)

Hope this helps??

Offline Oregano

• Chris Ormston
« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2007, 01:32:59 AM »
Thanks!
Just got back home! There was no air conditioning so resorted to the retsina lol!  The owners give much attention to the gardens - they're lovely - and the apartments are nice and clean.  The interiors are a bit unloved though - musty wardrobes, the limited (even by Greek standards) cutlery was rusty, and the fridge temperature control knob had been removed (not unusual in Greek studios to keep the electricity bills down).  Various lightbulbs had been removed, but the main concern was the electric shocks from using the shower/bathroom taps if you wanted to have the bathroom light on at the same time! 

Offline James W

• Adonis in Arillas ;-)
« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2007, 09:08:42 AM »
Oh my goodness Oregano!!!!!

My wife will divorce me for taking her to such a dodgy place.

Or are you trying to worry me?   ;-)

We have been to such places before, the owners spend money and time making the non essential things look good, but neglect the important issues such as the inside items.

Rusty cutlery, dangerous electrical wiring, warm refrigerator, removal/non replacement of lightbulbs essential for safety at night, musty wardrobes...............................  :-[

Good Grief!!!  Do the Corfu Board of Tourism know about this?
EU Health and Safety would shut the place down if they did.

If someone in Arillas could please verify these issues, and demand things are corrected before we arrive we would be grateful.

Otherwise is there an official in Arillas we could report this to?

Offline vivian

• Vivian
  • ARILLIAC
  • Stay Nude it ant Rude
    • http://www.holmvalley.com
« Reply #5 on: August 08, 2007, 10:13:27 AM »
Hi James, Can I suggest that you pm Harold as I know he has stayed there several times and he will tell you all about them. Viv

Stay Nude it ante rude

Offline harold

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #6 on: August 08, 2007, 10:32:41 AM »
James,
no air conditioning at the Alexandros studios/apartments.Owners are very friendly,rooms are clean,Have you booked a 2 or 3 person apt.Some of the 2 person ones are quiet small,we book a 3 person one just for the extra room.You do have everything you need though.Never had rusty cutlery,but you do get a mild shock when using the shower,but i have come across this in lots of Greek places.Again not come across missing light bulbs,aand if i did i would just ask,the owners and they would replace it.We tend to go early May and the apartments have been closed up all winter nad we have not noticed musty smells from the wardrobes and believe you me we know about musty.One thing you will need is a mossie ball and creams.as the Arillas River runs at the back of these apartments.Oregano is correct they do appear to be unloved,but i think its because they are getting on,there are a few newer ones with upvs windows and i have been told they are very nice.I would suggest you ask Libra for one of these they are basement apartments as well.Hope this helps
Harold,
Theres only one Altrincham FC

Offline James W

• Adonis in Arillas ;-)
« Reply #7 on: August 08, 2007, 08:19:32 PM »
Thank you harold for the information.

Maybe we can enquire about upgrading to a 3-person room when we get there.
Not too keen on basement though, prefer a "Room With A View" so to speak ;-)

Were not made aware of the Arillas River nearby, that must explain the the mass of mossies?  :-(

Maybe Libra Holidays do "Bargain Basement" holidays. But we will enjoy the civilised flight times there and back :-) 
Got the papers from them today, no mention of airport transfers though!!!

Perhaps Oregano was just unlucky with the room he got?

Offline Oregano

• Chris Ormston
« Reply #8 on: August 08, 2007, 09:09:42 PM »
James,
Don't worry about the divorce just yet - we had a great time despite the negatives, and there were positives - e.g. distance from traffic and noisy bars!  The mozzies weren't too bad and you can buy a plug-in exterminator from the supermarket for about 5 euros.  I'd recommend bringing some basic cutlery (our studio for 3 had a knife, two forks, two teaspoons and two minute coffee cups) or plastic cutlery can be had from the shops.

Here's a short video of the driveway - sorry I didn't take any of the interior:

Offline Oregano

• Chris Ormston
« Reply #9 on: August 08, 2007, 09:25:56 PM »
Harold,
I've never come across shocks in the shower before.  I'd assumed my improved mood was from the Arillas feel-good factor, but perhaps it was from the free ECT in the bathroom!

Offline harold

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #10 on: August 09, 2007, 07:58:27 AM »
James,
the libra transfer can take upto an hour and a half,If this is your first timejust enjoy the coach journey,so nice views.Sally and I have done the journey quiet a few times so we get a Taxi from the Airport 50/55 Euros,but thats because by the time we get out of the Airport its about 1900/1930 so a 40 minute taxi trip makes it we can go and get a meal at the Brouklis from about 2015.We are out in Arillas 1st October for our 2nd weeks holiday.The river is the stream that runs through Arillas,after some of the comments I decided to start calling it the River Arillas,just to be polite.lol
Good Idea from Oregano about packing some cutlery,but remember to put it into you siutcase and not your hand luggage.
Oregano
We have stayed at the Kokkinos and had shocks there,same at the Makris and Leonidis,also in other parts of the island and other island in Greece.
Harold,
Theres only one Altrincham FC

Offline James W

• Adonis in Arillas ;-)
« Reply #11 on: August 09, 2007, 09:15:37 AM »
Thank you for the extra info Oregano and harold.

Phew!!! Good job I didn't show the thread to my wife earlier, maybe I can let her see it now eh ?  ;)

In view of your earlier comment about the cutlery, I did consider taking my own. But you say I can buy it locally if need be, so less baggage weight.  :-)

About the noise.  I did wonder if the nearby Rainbow Bar, or, Perrys and Jimmys place may be a trouble for us.  But you reckon Coconut and Malibu Bars are the main source, I have keen hearing.

We go to bed around 22:00, and wake about 05:00. I took a long time checking the resorts on the island to avoid the likes of Kavos and Sidari  :-)

We have a civilised arrival time of 15:00, so we'll let the long, slow, coach trip, show us the sights.  :-)

Our same holiday (except the flight time) is now being advertised for 50% more than we paid.    :-)

Offline blondegirl

• ARILLIAC
« Reply #12 on: August 09, 2007, 12:36:10 PM »
I think you will have a great time.  Watching the Utube Video was great. There doesnt seem to be a name outside so we were never sure of what the place was and it looked "quite posh" from the driveway because of the gardens.  It isnt that close for the noise to be a nuisance I think.  We stayed in the Galini last year further up the hill so walked past Alexandros every night and I dont ever remember the noise from the Rainbow being excessive.  The river is almost dried up now, it was when we were there in June/July, its not a deep fast flowing river anyway but because of the trees and the like you are bound to get mozzies anyway.  The Captains is a stone throw away and great value. They have a daily Specials menu, sometimes they dont have things on the regular menu, just what is being cooked for the day.  They are very accommodating for childrens meals too.  You also  get a free (sometimes tasteless dessert) and a complimentary liquer (you dont get that in all the places in Arillas) and their breakfasts are brilliant with a MUG and tea pot or coffee.

We took a sharp knife (in the suitcase) and a couple of melamine egg cups and mugs as the cups can be small in most greek apartments, dont forget a t.towel etc.

As for the two music bars, if you walk quickly past its a blink and you miss it experience.  You only seem to notice it when you are close by.  We never went in last year but this year there was a Frank Sinatra look/sing a like and he was great.  We spent a very pleasant couple of hours there with an after dinner drink listening to the old songs.

It has a very nice relaxed atmosphere in the whole of the resort, well it will be in September as opposed to now anyway.
If you want the rainbow, you gotta put up with the rain.

Offline James W

• Adonis in Arillas ;-)
« Reply #13 on: August 09, 2007, 10:37:26 PM »
Thank you blondegirl.
                                As Oregano posted earlier, the owners of Alex' spend time and money on the external features rather than in inside.

On the map, I see the Galini, but not Captains (I'll throw some stones at random eh?). I also see Dimitoula's and Tropikana nearby, not sure what they are.

Karaoke, and Sinatra impersonators, are not our 'cup of tea'  ;-)

My wife loves buying tea towels.

She left a knife in the top of her bag in Crete when we were at the airport, it got confiscated.

Probably ended up in the home of the security chap who took it of us, despite protestations it was for our bread.

This was 28 years ago!!!

Daily specials on the menu board, are quite often a good indicator for good food.

A menu that never seems to change, shows a lack of imagination or capability.  ;-)

I've been informed the 'River' is actually a stream.

Offline Oregano

• Chris Ormston
« Reply #14 on: August 14, 2007, 01:24:32 AM »
James,
Don't worry about the noise - the Coconut and Malibu bars do seem to adhere to ending the noise at midnight, and even then it's only audible if you choose, like me, to sit on the balcony half the night whiling away the hours with a Metaxa.  The shutters etc WILL keep stray sounds out of the apartment.  The only other noise we encountered was from the Rainbow on their Greek BBQ night, but again it didn't go on until all hours, and the sounds were of Greek enjoyment rather than the thud..thud..thud associated with Sidari!

Enjoy!

Booking.com