Author Topic: Travellers Cheques  (Read 11493 times)

imccc

Travellers Cheques
« on: August 13, 2004, 06:10:10 PM »
HI THERE

EVERYONE, CAN ANYONE TELL ME WHAT TYPE OF TRAVELLERS CHEQUES ARE BEST TO TAKE WITH YOUR TOO GREECE I AM FROM GLASGOW, IS IT EURO TRAVELLERS CHEQUES OR IS IT STERLING TRAVELLERS CHEQUES, WHAT ONES ARE BEST AS IN VALUE FOR MONEY AND HOW MUCH DOES IT COST TOO GET THEM EXCHANGED THANKS AS I WOULD PROBABY TAKE THE CHEAPEST OPTION AS IN EXCHANGING THEM.

BYE FOR NOW

IAN

KEEP SMILING

:)

Be Happy :D  :D  :D  :D  :D  :D  :D  :D  :D  :D  :D  :D  :D  :D  :D  :D  :D

Anonymous

Travellers Cheques
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2004, 06:58:06 PM »
Due to the slightly fluctuating Euro rate (and usually its a better rate in Greece than here), I've always taken Sterling.  The choice is yours!

Aly

Offline Paul/Deb5

• Arillas regular visitor
  • Forum Fanatic
Travellers Cheques
« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2004, 10:05:21 PM »
Hi Ian,
I agree with Aly we have always taken sterling travellers cheques and just a few euros in cash along with sterling cash. And always exchanged the money at Arillas rent a car's office ( just before Malibu bar on left towards beech ) and its the best place to rent a car thats reliable!!!!!
they own Anna's appts. up hill.
when are you going?? have a good one anyway??

Paul/Deb5

imcc

Thanks
« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2004, 11:05:04 PM »
Hi paul/deb

Me and jackie are going at the end of august and thanks for all your information.

cheers

ian

Offline annie222

Travellers Cheques
« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2005, 09:43:23 PM »
Do you reccommend taking travellers cheques?

I was not sure whther to bother or not as as far as i know we have a safety deposit box at the hotel...?

Offline Paul/Deb5

• Forum Fanatic
Travellers Cheques
« Reply #5 on: August 10, 2005, 02:11:44 AM »
Hi Annie222
  Just have a look at the topics above for more info, we always take sterling travellers cheques you will get a better exchange rate.
I have even opened a bank account over there and we send sterling out
when its good exchange rates.

Paul/Deb5

Offline Eggy

• On the Spot reporter
  • ARILLIAC
T/C's
« Reply #6 on: August 10, 2005, 03:35:24 PM »
Paul/Deb5
When we came back from Arillas in June the exchange rate over there was e1.49 so we changed up £500 of commision free T/C's into Euros and bough them home. The tourist rate here is now about e1.375 so we've got roughly £40 extra for our Sept/Oct break.
Funny 'ole game innit?
Negg

Offline malky

• Super Member {over 100 posts}
Travellers Cheques
« Reply #7 on: August 12, 2005, 08:19:44 PM »
Can't hide the money eh , Eggy :lol:

I sometimes take Scottish bank notes, and get them
changed at the Marina, billy usually gives me a better rate than
t/c's or English notes..

Going out on the 17th of October for the week 8)
DID i SAY RELAXING......

Offline Paul/Deb5

• Forum Fanatic
Travellers Cheques
« Reply #8 on: August 14, 2005, 01:29:44 PM »
Hi Eggy
          Nice one, as you say funny ole game ,but as property owners etc one has to watch out for the pennies !!!!!!!!!

Paul/Deb5

Offline Aly

• Arillas Addict
Travellers Cheques
« Reply #9 on: September 14, 2005, 06:28:20 PM »
I'm confused  :roll: but then again it maybe the time of day.  At the moment, my travel agent (along with some others I reckon) are offering 0% commission on Euros and the same on Euros travellers cheques.  What I didnt realise is that taking Sterling travellers cheques which I have done in the past, you pay commission here AND commission there  :shock: (but still end up with a few more Euros in your pocket).

Sooooo folks, what to do now  :?:

Offline Eggy

• On the Spot reporter
  • ARILLIAC
T/C's
« Reply #10 on: September 14, 2005, 07:20:26 PM »
Aly
It only works really well to your advantage if you have an English Bank account that offers commission free T/C's. That way you only pay the commission when you change money in Corfu.
Exchange in England, at the mo, is e1.40 & in Corfu is e1.47. So, if I calculate correctly, £500 of com.free T/C's changed in Corfu brings you about e723 after their commission. This is against e702 if you can get commission free Euros in England. 21 euros in your favour.
About £14. - For a lot of people maybe not worth the hassle but for us when we rent privately, hire a car for 14 days, pay for meals, both buying cigs and alcohol to bring home we save about £20 or the cost of a bottle of Drambuie and a couple of retsinas at the Airport)
It's what you feel the most comfortable with really.
Cheers
Negg

Booking.com