Author Topic: A to Z - Photographs of Arillas and Corfu  (Read 1656381 times)

Offline Eggy

• On the Spot reporter
  • ARILLIAC
Re: A to Z - Photographs of Arillas and Corfu
« Reply #3630 on: July 08, 2019, 06:11:23 PM »
We will have a P then , probably my 5th today . ( Hate getting old)

spent most of his time opposite our place in Kavaddades and got spoilt , every day , with a Wegg visit , plus carrots.
Negg

Offline kevin-beverly

• ARILLIAC
« Reply #3631 on: July 09, 2019, 08:41:17 AM »

HI

NO Q SO I CANNOT PLAY SNOOKER

SO A BIT OF HISTORY ON CORFU AIRPORT

Corfu International Airport "Ioannis Kapodistrias"From Wikipedia,
is a government-owned airport on the Greek island of Corfu at Kerkyra, serving both scheduled and charter flights from European cities. Air traffic peaks during the summer season, between April and October.
The Ioannis Kapodistrias International Airport, named after Ioannis Kapodistrias, a distinguished Corfiot diplomat and the first governor of Greece  is located around 2 kilometres south of Corfu Town, half a kilometre north of Pontikonisi. The approach and landing, in a northeasterly direction, offer the flying passengers a spectacular aerial view of Pontikonisi and Vlaherna Monastery as well as the hills of Kanoni as the runway used for landing is actually a few hundred metres away from these landmarks.
The airport was founded in 1937. During Second World War it was used by German and Italian forces as a base for transport and fighter aircraft. During the war the runway length was 600m. By the end of April 1949 the length had reached 800m. A further extension to 1260m took place by the end of 1951 to meet the then larger aircraft needs. The next and last extension of the runway began in 1957 and was completed in 1959, with a length of 2,373m. The first commercial flight took place on 19 April 1949 from Athens operated by TAE Greek National Airlines. On 2 September 1950 HELLAS also started flights to Corfu. In 1962 a small passenger terminal was built, which today accommodates the Corfu Aeroclub. In April 1965 the airport became International, with the inaugural overseas flight being operated by Olympic Airlines. The construction of the new passenger terminal began in 1968 and was completed in 1972.
In December 2015 the privatisation of Corfu International Airport and 13 other regional airports of Greece was finalised with the signing of the agreement (as a joint venture) between Fraport AG/Copelouzos Group and state privatisation fund Hellenic Republic Asset Development Fund. "We signed the deal today," the head of Greece's privatisation agency HRADF, Stergios Pitsiorlas, told Reuters. According to the agreement, the joint venture will operate the 14 airports (including Corfu International Airport) for 40 years as of 11 April 2017.
On 22 March 2017, Fraport-Greece presented its master plan for the 14 regional airports including Corfu International Airport.
Immediate actions that were implemented as soon as Fraport-Greece took over operations included a general clean up of the airport, improving lighting and sanitary facilities and the markings of airside areas, as well as offering free WiFi and ensuring fire safety standards are met throughout the airport and surrounding property.
The master plan also included changes which will be implemented under Fraport-Greece's investment plan prior to 2021. They include the remodeling and expansion of the current terminal as well as the construction of a new one. A Hold Baggage inline Screening System (HBS) will improve safety and efficiency, along with the refurbishment of the airport fire service, which will benefit from the reorganization of the airport apron area including the replacement of paving in this area. Also planned is the increase of the number of check-in desks from 22 to 28, the number of departure gates to 12, as well as reorganisation of the security check lanes in the terminal.

kev

Offline patrickjohn

• Lincolnshire Yellow Belly
  • ARILLIAC
  • PJM
« Reply #3632 on: July 09, 2019, 11:21:44 AM »
I thought you might like to see the photo I took of the Corfu airport terminal in September 1970.  I was looking out of the plane window. 

Corfu Airport

by pj's memories, on Flickr

The arrivals and departure lounge was one big room with a floor to ceiling rubber plant in the middle separating the two functions.

Regards - Pat

My book"A Policemance Tale" at Amazon
https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B0B8BD9MWM

Offline Eggy

• On the Spot reporter
  • ARILLIAC
« Reply #3633 on: July 09, 2019, 12:50:58 PM »
Amazing - I wonder if that guy has finally loaded the plane??

We have Q ueer goings on with Weggs gardening trainers here.

She went to put them on and noticed this "fluffy stuff" deep in both , at the toe end.
The "Corfu grapevine" gives various choices such as mice or other small rodents to spiders nests ???
Who knows? - But always best to check footwear before putting them on.
Cheers
Negg

Offline soniaP

• Arillas regular visitor
  • ARILLIAC
« Reply #3634 on: July 09, 2019, 08:30:26 PM »
P is for view of Paleo taken from the Golden Fox

Offline kevin-beverly

• ARILLIAC
« Reply #3635 on: July 10, 2019, 11:18:42 AM »

HI
Sonia you are getting as bad as me i need a holiday R is next but it dose'nt matter pic is good i love Paleo i remember paleo in 1981 it has changed now more populated more buildings

R FOR RED OLEANDER OR RED ROOF AT SIDARI 

KEV

Offline Eggy

• On the Spot reporter
  • ARILLIAC
« Reply #3636 on: July 10, 2019, 12:23:00 PM »
Winter 2017. - and it's Snow joke.
My good neighbour , Makis. - He's a fireman , DONCHYERKNOW?

and his boys

and .... view from our balcony/

Cheers
Negg

Offline soniaP

• ARILLIAC
« Reply #3637 on: July 10, 2019, 03:25:14 PM »
T is for Tuna Salad with a lovely smiley face at Gratselas

[img][https://i.imgur.com/Gxv3Ytu.jpg/img]

Offline soniaP

• ARILLIAC
« Reply #3638 on: July 10, 2019, 03:26:44 PM »
T is also for try again

Offline soniaP

• ARILLIAC
« Reply #3639 on: July 11, 2019, 01:05:35 AM »
U is for Unicorn Jon.  He is a magic unicorn who often turns up st various places at Bardis sun studios.  He is much loved by all the guests who take it in turns to look after him

Offline soniaP

• ARILLIAC
« Reply #3640 on: July 11, 2019, 01:12:30 AM »
V is for Vinceremos

Offline kevin-beverly

• ARILLIAC
« Reply #3641 on: July 11, 2019, 09:12:29 AM »

HI

W FOR WAVES

kev

Offline kevin-beverly

• ARILLIAC
« Reply #3642 on: July 12, 2019, 09:09:57 AM »

HI

NO X SO HERE IS A SUNSET WE ALL MISS WHEN WE ARE NOT THERE

kev

Offline Eggy

• On the Spot reporter
  • ARILLIAC
« Reply #3643 on: July 12, 2019, 05:35:41 PM »
Course there is an X , Kevin.
X is for χωρίς - means without (koris) , cause without all you guys, out there, what would Arillas do??
Cheers
Negg

Offline kevin-beverly

• ARILLIAC
« Reply #3644 on: July 13, 2019, 11:12:18 AM »

HI
Still no Y or X

LIGHTS AT THE RAINBOW POOL

no flash a long exposure resting on the wall

KEV

Booking.com