Author Topic: torpedo in magaloudes  (Read 6289 times)

Offline kevin.g

• Arillas regular visitor
  • ARILLIAC
  • Kevin and julie
torpedo in magaloudes
« on: August 15, 2007, 08:34:38 PM »
thought id jump on the scooter and take a drive to sidari,i went to the petrol station in arillas and filled up ,then headed out towards sidari,on arriving at magaloudes the road narrows and becomes a little windy,on the second bend into the village a sight that i thought id never see in the hills of corfu ,was a FULL LENGTH SUBMARINE TORPEDO.I NEARLY CRASHED THE SCOOTER, GOT OFF AND WENT FOR A LOOK,LUCKILY I HAD THE CAMERA AND TOOK SOME SNAPS....IF YOUVE GOT A CAR OR BIKE ITS WELL WORTH THE VISIT. WHEN I WORK OUT HOW TO LOAD PICTURES ON THE FORUM ILL POST IT UNTIL THEN CA ANY ONE  ELSE HELP ME OUT WITH A PICTURE...........

Maggie

Re: torpedo in magaloudes
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2007, 08:40:53 PM »
There's another one! When you travel from Agros to Arillas, there's one in a village lying by the side of the road. I don't know why, and I can't remember the name of the village.

Offline TerryW

• ARILLIAC
« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2007, 09:52:57 PM »
On my journey from the Airport, on the day we arrived, we ended up at Sidari and then had to drive through Magaloudes to get to Arillas. What a fantastic car ride, up the hill and round the hairpin bends, and then you suddenly see the torpedo. I loved it but Helen, being the passenger was not very thrilled. I love villages like that.

It is on the agenda for next June to have a longer look at Magaloudes and the Torpedo

Offline TerryW

• ARILLIAC
« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2007, 10:32:18 PM »
Maybe the torpedo came from this WW2 episode?

RHS Proussa

Torpedo boat of the Kidoniai class
Navy:   The Royal Hellenic Navy
Type:   Torpedo boat
Class:   Kidoniai

History:   Sunk off Corfu by Italian aircraft.

Noteable events involving Proussa include:

4 Apr, 1941
The TB was riding at anchor in Dafnila Bay, Corfu island, NW Greece, when she was attacked and sunk, along with the Greek steamer Sussanna by Italian Ju-87s belonging to the 239th Sqn, 97th Dive-bombing group (Captain Mario Larket).That air group carried out 3 attacks that day, each with 6 machines, against Greek naval vessels. Germany did not enter the fray against Greece until 6 April, therefore the notion German planes made this attack is patently incorrect.

Offline blondegirl

• ARILLIAC
« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2007, 12:23:37 AM »
On the A-Z photographs of Arillas subject there are some ideas on how to download your photos.
If you want the rainbow, you gotta put up with the rain.

Offline PaulnMaria

• Super Member {over 100 posts}
« Reply #5 on: August 16, 2007, 10:24:00 AM »
There's one in Afionas too, near the church. We were told it was to comemorate the men from the village who fell during the war.

Offline kevin.g

• ARILLIAC
  • Kevin and julie
« Reply #6 on: August 16, 2007, 10:29:38 AM »
the one i saw was the one from afionas jimmy in the rainbow said his village donated it

Offline sharonF

• ARILLIAC
« Reply #7 on: August 16, 2007, 11:25:38 AM »
We saw the torpedo in magaloudes, doesn't it surprise you when you see it.  We were on a scooter, and you come round the bend and there it is.  Did not like the bends on that scooter, i try to steer with billy's shoulders. lol

Offline Mick and Jill

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #8 on: August 16, 2007, 04:16:36 PM »
We noticed the one in Magoulades when we had a walk to our friends house in the village.  A lovely little spot to stop and have a rest.  Got to admit walking around those hair bends was a bit scarey

Jill
Jill XXX

Booking.com