Author Topic: Towels on poolside beds- My rant!  (Read 54484 times)

Offline Karen/Colin

• Arillas Addict
Towels on poolside beds- My rant!
« on: August 25, 2007, 09:01:25 PM »
We have just returned from 2 weeks staying at Nafsika. We had a fabulous holiday(again) in arillas with just one complaint. I thought the pool at the rainbow complex had been monopolized by Germans. We were up & on the balcony most mornings by 9.30 & every sunbed had a towel on it!, No people, just towels! A couple of mornings we were up & about before 9.00 & almost all the beds were towel reserved. Shocking! There are more than enough beds to cope with the occupants of the rainbow complex so some people must have come from neighbouring accommodation to reserve a bed. What is wrong with the glorious beach? Why come to a lovely resort like Arillas if you are going to spend all day every day by the pool?
These beds were unavailable all day. We spent most days at the beach if not exploring elsewhere & on return to the complex all the beds still had towels in place. We were a bit miffed to say the least as we paid to stay at the nafsika because it has a pool etc, but only occasionally used the pool didn't get to sunbathe by it.
I did even see other customers of the rainbow complex arriving poolside with towels looking disappointed as all the beds were reserved.
Last year at the end of a day by the beach we spent an ahour every day by the pool, drinking coffee & having a little swim.None of the beds were reserved at daylight with towels.
Even our two teenagers were getting fed up at the end of the holiday as they liked to come off the beach mid afternoon to go back to the complex to laze by the pool & swim but were unable to do the lazing bit.
I don't know who started this sad craze this year but i do feel that if you are not occupying your bed, shift your towel so someone else can have a recline.

Karen

Offline James W

• Adonis in Arillas ;-)
  • Super Member {over 100 posts}
Re: Towels on poolside beds- My rant!
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2007, 10:19:10 PM »
This sort of thing is not acceptable.

We're going to be staying close to Rainbows shortly, and wish to make use of the pool and sunloungers.
Of course we'll be spending money there, or, intend to if we can have the use of the sunloungers.

This selfish behaviour of placing towels long before daybreak is outlawed by some establishments.
When we were in Cyprus 2 years ago, some folk used this tactic to 'reserve' a place 24/7

I know of instances, where the management do not allow this sort of thing.
I also know of instances, where the towels are chucked into the pool, to deter this sort of thing.  :-)

So if you hear about the Rainbow pool being found full of towels, in early September...........  ;-)

Offline kes

• Arillas regular visitor
  • Forum Fanatic
  • Relax
    • Relax in Arillas
« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2007, 11:25:07 PM »
kAREN ,,That must have been realy annoying...I Appreciate the concerns re towels on beds but its not always the nationality you mention that cause this unnacceptible behaviour..us Brits can be just as bad..the hoteliers should get on the job and remove any towels from unoccupied beds after a certain time has elapsed..I know of two hotels in Arillas who do this as I have been present WHEN THE TOWELS ETC HAVE BEEN DUMPED...

Offline Joyce

• Golden Medal {over 60 posts}
« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2007, 12:25:42 AM »
I don't know why it was such a problem this year - I have never known it so bad at The Rainbow pool - but Karen you are right - the sunbeds seemed to be permanently reserved.  Some families (some quite large families) seemed to use sunbeds for a couple of hours in the morning - then go off shopping or to the beach, leaving their towels on the beds for use when/if they returned.  Jimmy and Spiro were aware of the problem.

I can understand your frustration - Karen - as a "resident" of the complex BUT as you know the pool is not reserved for the exclusive use of "residents" - unlike many other places in Europe where only residents of a hotel or complex can use the pool.  This time I wasn't a "resident" but used the Rainbow pool every day.  I love Arillas (in fact, my friend and I are having a house built there) but I am not a beach person and my idea of heaven is spending every day sunbathing by the pool - that obviously sounds strange to you but - each to his own!!!!

The problem is - of course - once you get a few people "reserving" sunbeds - everyone else thinks that is the thing to do - and this year it seems to have become a big issue.  A friend had been using his sunbed all morning and left his stuff there (towel, book, bag etc) simply to go to the bar for lunch - you can imagine how upset he was when he returned after lunch to find someone had moved all his stuff - don't know what the answer is other than hoping people behave less selfishly.

Just like to add - I didn't ever reserve a bed - but my favourite spot is up on the grass by the playground - no problem with the sunbeds there.       

Offline Paul C

• Arillas Addict
« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2007, 01:02:05 PM »
We stayed at the Rainbow Complex last September and noticed the same thing going on RE: booking sunbeds, infact we also noticed some people were even trying to monopolise two umbrellas, which was really being selfish.  This did not bother us too much as we prefer to spend our time at the beach (much better people watching).  We had no other complaints about the complex and Jimmy & Spiros made us feel very welcome, even managed to change from football to a rugby game on the TV!!(how sad are we?)  That said we are staying in different accomodation this year but will no doubt still pop in to the Rainbow from time to time.

Offline Karen/Colin

• Arillas Addict
« Reply #5 on: August 26, 2007, 06:48:41 PM »
It has certainly not put us off the rainbow complex, we have just booked another 2 weeks for next July/Aug so it will be interesting to see if the trend continues.

Karen

Offline Eggy

• On the Spot reporter
  • ARILLIAC
« Reply #6 on: August 26, 2007, 07:44:51 PM »
Towels on sunbeds at Rainbow??
I can't imagine Spiros and Jimmy letting this happen. But these are obviously not made up forum stories.
Rainbow have a link on this site so maybe someone could e-mail them and ask?
Negg

Offline TerryW

• ARILLIAC
« Reply #7 on: August 28, 2007, 02:36:04 PM »
I am afraid that the only way to stop this is to wait about 15 minutes, and if nobody returns to the sunbeds in that time, just remove the towels and hand them into reception as lost property. This has the impact of highlighting the problem to other "selfish" guests and also embarresses the people who have left the towels in the first place. 

I find this situation even more annoying when the people who leave the towels don't even stay at the hotel.

Can I have another rant? Ok thanks.

I get annoyed at people who have drinks at their sunbeds around the pool and then leave the glasses and bottles, which could then easily get broken. It is no trouble to just take the glasses back to the bar when you leave the pool side.

Offline Eileen

• ARILLIAC
  • Linakis lemons!
    • http://www.villalinakis.com
« Reply #8 on: August 28, 2007, 02:48:55 PM »

I get annoyed at people who have drinks at their sunbeds around the pool and then leave the glasses and bottles, which could then easily get broken. It is no trouble to just take the glasses back to the bar when you leave the pool side.

...and I think it's just good manners too!

Eileenx

Offline Smiffypink

• ARILLIAC
« Reply #9 on: August 28, 2007, 04:35:07 PM »
Ok got to have my little go haha!!

I do not tolerate selfish people, if i see all the sunbeds reserved anywhere i go and no people laying on them then 2 towels get removed wherever i want to lay.

If i see a towel on a lounger that has belongings there, ie book, flip flops, suncream etc etc thats obvious its being used, but if all the others are just a towel, no belongings then its obvious theyre off out somewhere and are not actually using the bed, this is my cue to do as Terry says, remove them!

If the owners of said towel come back and start questioning you about moving their towel just say 'were you here laying on it, do you own this sunlounger' the answers will obviously be no so your reply is 'well there you go then' and then proceed to carry on reading or lay back down and sunbathe, they will be left standing there embarrassed!

If youre not going to be laying there you cant reserve the sunlounger, simple as, they are for people who WANT to lay there at that specific moment, not who MIGHT want to lay there later, ridiculous.

I also agree with the drinks thing, we always return empties to the bar as we're normally getting another round in at the same time haha!!  But as you say, its manners, and luckily myself and Brett were brought up with those!

Offline sharonF

• ARILLIAC
« Reply #10 on: August 28, 2007, 04:52:59 PM »
Yes it is very simple, if they are obviously left to reserve all day and they havent just gone to lunch etc. move em.  I do, no way will i sit on a bit of grass when there is a bed there.  I've been there when the "offenders" have eventually turned up, (not talking about arillas by the way, other countries) they dont say anything, just slink away lookin guilty.

Offline Smiffypink

• ARILLIAC
« Reply #11 on: August 28, 2007, 05:08:35 PM »
Exactly, most of them wouldnt confront you but im always ready if they do haha.

Also if they ask where their towels are say ' oh your towel, yeah its over there in the 'i dont think so somehow' pile' haha classic!!

Offline ouzoandolives

• Bronze medal {over 20 posts}
  • nikos and titch
« Reply #12 on: August 28, 2007, 06:42:18 PM »
Hello every one, i have just found this site and i think its brilliant, now you mention it we have noticed over the years more and more are putting there towells on beds so what the owners (marino, jimmy etc) should do is give you a time card, back in 30mins or whatever and you can borrow there bed till they get back!!

Offline James W

• Adonis in Arillas ;-)
  • Super Member {over 100 posts}
« Reply #13 on: August 28, 2007, 08:10:58 PM »
This thread is of particular interest to my wife and I.  :-)

We'll be residing close to Rainbows next week, and would occasionally like to make use of the pool and sun-loungers.
Of course we'll purchase refreshments there in way of recompense.

Is anyone aware of this 'selfish practice' still going on there?  ???

If so, could someone please request the proprietors to put a stop to it, and enforce it?

Pretty please. I'll buy you a drink there  ;-)

Offline Smiffypink

• ARILLIAC
« Reply #14 on: August 29, 2007, 12:29:24 PM »
Just enforce it yourself James if you dont agree with what theyre doing, people are not meant to do it so dont allow them to get away with it.

The proprietors are probably aware of the situation but with their business having to be run its probably difficult for them to keep on top of it.

Some people just take no notice of certain rules for round a poolside so they just need reminding i guess, and if it has to be a fellow holidaymaker to tell them then at least the problem is sorted there and then.

Booking.com