Author Topic: Where should we start??  (Read 4043 times)

Offline Josef

Where should we start??
« on: August 27, 2007, 12:40:04 AM »
Hi everyone, I'm Jo (josef for short!) and hubby Ian, we predictably go to Kefalonia for hols but decided to jump ship this year. We'll be in Arilas for a fortnight from 7/09/07 this year. Having watched this forum /site for some time now I was just hoping someone could offer us some advice on where to start with Arilas. We are staying at the Kaloudis studios and don't mind a walk or two, come to think of it a drink or two either!! We certainly know to avoid the donat man, but where is a good place/s to go??

Thanks in advance for any advice

J XX

Offline Eggy

• On the Spot reporter
  • ARILLIAC
Re: Where should we start??
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2007, 11:44:27 AM »
Jo
Go into Arillas general information and, halfway down the first page, you will find a topic on "Favourite Restaurants" - That's a good place to start.
Then, maybe, use some of those Restaurant names in the search. For locations in the proximity to where you are staying you could take a look at the Arillas map.

This should keep you occupied for a while. - Enjoy.
Negg

Offline iluvsangeorge

• Super Member {over 100 posts}
    • About Agios Georgios
« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2007, 11:47:41 AM »
Hi Jo and welcome to this Forum.  I am sure you will receive loads of excellent advice here.

Can I kick off with advising you about one of the loveliest places in Corfu within walking distance of Arillas (in my opinion).
The hilltop village of Afionas should not be missed for its superb views both to the north and south. There are several restaurants on the main street into the village which have views along the coast to the north and over the islands. This view is excellent for sunsets as the sun drops behind the islands.
During the middle part of the day I recommend walking on through Afionas village to Dionysos Restaurant for a "drink or lunch with a view".  From here the views to the south across Agios Georgios bay are breathtaking.

There are some photos and notes on this web-site at:
http://www.agiosgeorgios.co.uk/afionas1.htm.

Have  a good holiday.

Dennis

Offline kevin.g

• Arillas regular visitor
  • ARILLIAC
  • Kevin and julie
« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2007, 11:48:25 AM »
personaly i dont think it matters where you go in arillas as all the bars and tavernas are great and the people lovely, try every where and make your own mind up and then come  back and tell us ,as this is what this forum is all about,my faves are ammos, brouklis ,and the rainbow ...........good luck.....yammas

Offline blondegirl

• ARILLIAC
« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2007, 12:56:45 PM »
I agree with below.... we first went to Arillas last year and walked to San Stef. but this year did that walk again across the cliff top but by far we loved the walk to Afionas...  If you go into the A-Z photos... look for Just the two of us.... thats Mike and me on the seat looking out at the top... fabulous and one of my favourite views!  Lovely views to San George North and nice restaurants at the top too.  (mind you the walk up is a bit steep but take stops and its worth it).
If you want the rainbow, you gotta put up with the rain.

Offline vivian

• Vivian
  • ARILLIAC
  • Stay Nude it ant Rude
    • http://www.holmvalley.com
« Reply #5 on: August 27, 2007, 06:33:48 PM »
Hi Joe, welcome to the forum, It is one of the walks we always try to fit in during our stays in Arillas, lovely photo's and a nice site thanks. We also do the cliff top walk to San Stef for the view's a much easier walk and a few intresting shops.  You can also do the walk up to the church through the olive groves and back via the road. there are loads of little walks to do with out intending to go anywhere particuler. Viv

Stay Nude it ante rude

Offline Peckedhen

« Reply #6 on: August 27, 2007, 06:49:00 PM »
Hi,

A warm welcome from me too.

Here's a link to a book of walks around the Arillas area:

http://www.marengowalks.com/Corfu_bk.html

We've done a few and, proving the weather is not too hot, it's worth a look at.

Offline Josef

« Reply #7 on: August 28, 2007, 10:47:35 PM »
Hi all and a big thank you. Looks like we've quite a bit to see, walk to and eat when we get there!! I'll update you on our favs upon our return. Anyone else out there the same time as us??

Cheers

J xx 

Offline James W

• Adonis in Arillas ;-)
« Reply #8 on: August 28, 2007, 11:13:34 PM »
Hi Josef.
            My wife and I are coming.

We're also virgins.

We're there from 3-10 September.

Funnily enough, that's from next Monday.  ;-)

You'll be there just in time for the "Wine Festival"  :-)

Offline Josef

« Reply #9 on: August 29, 2007, 12:15:43 AM »
James, you lucky get, you have 6 more sleeps until paradise - so I believe! Me, 10 sleeps! booo! I really can't wait now after all I've heard about the place. Big fingers crossed it lives up to it's reputation ;-)

Offline vivian

• Vivian
  • ARILLIAC
  • Stay Nude it ant Rude
« Reply #10 on: August 29, 2007, 07:49:57 AM »
Hi Josef, We will be arriving the second week you are there 14th-21st. Janes I thought you were there for 2 weeks but unfortnatly we will miss you. Have a great time and Josef there are some clearer pictures of the walks on our website
www. holmvalley.com  Viv & Pete

Stay Nude it ante rude

Offline vivian

• Vivian
  • ARILLIAC
  • Stay Nude it ant Rude
« Reply #11 on: August 29, 2007, 07:51:13 AM »

Stay Nude it ante rude

Offline Mick and Jill

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #12 on: August 29, 2007, 12:27:55 PM »
We always have a walk over to San Stephanos, Afionas, St George and if feeling really energetic we walk into Sidari although we do get a taxi back.  We are just the kind of people who can't lie on the beach or by the pool all day.  We love to see all the sights.

You will love Arillas.

Jill
Jill XXX

Booking.com