Author Topic: Flights from Cardiff or Bristol...any advice?  (Read 13376 times)

Offline Jo Wissett

• Arillas regular visitor
  • ARILLIAC
Re: Flights from Cardiff or Bristol...any advice?
« Reply #15 on: September 21, 2007, 05:03:56 PM »
so,with your inside knowledge Joe,when should I book my five flights for August 2008? (no pressure!)

Offline Joe

• Forum Fanatic
    • Thomas Cook Airlines
« Reply #16 on: September 21, 2007, 05:26:11 PM »
Now if they are cheap :)

Failing that I would guess around March / April 2008, August though is a bad month for seat only's as its peak holiday time. Here it can be best to wait until the very last minute but this usually is not very practical. £250 is our average August price at the moment, I imagine that will fall.

Offline harold

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #17 on: October 16, 2007, 05:09:16 PM »
Mergers Happen the Directors get richer and us poor travellers lose out on cheap flights and availability just about sums it up.
Harold,
Theres only one Altrincham FC

Offline justphil

• ARILLIAC
  • Arillas is in my soul
« Reply #18 on: November 13, 2007, 10:25:25 PM »
Just this minute booked Thomsonfly for 7 to 21 July 2008 from Bristol. Total including all taxes etc £358 for two ie £179 per person. The nearest to that was XL at 0515am for £209. The Thomson is at 7am - just a bit more pleasant.

Found this by searching Yahoo with "corfu flight" and got to the Thomsonfly site.

Hope this might be of use.

phil and jen

Offline martin-w

• Forum Fanatic
  • Arillas, my second home!
« Reply #19 on: November 14, 2007, 03:23:41 AM »
Cheers philandjen!
Will check for May at Cardiff and Bristol.
All the best,
Martin.

Offline justphil

• ARILLIAC
  • Arillas is in my soul
« Reply #20 on: February 20, 2008, 01:18:43 PM »
For all those who go from Bristol

Just got back from Majorca into Bristol. Apart from the renovations and solvent smells etc which didn't do us much good, made complete fools of ourselves (yes all - we can do that without trying!) with the luggage trollies. You now have to pay either £1 coin or 2 euro coins to "borrow" one - they are all locked together and one gets released when you put the money in. Didn't know that when we landed - there are no notices,  and we spent an age trying to get one off several locked rows to the amusement of all and sundry! Someone pointed to the coin slot and hey presto - paid our £1 and away.

Unlike the supermarkets, it isn't a deposit that you get back on return of the trolley. It is a charge.

Phil 

Offline ger

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #21 on: February 20, 2008, 02:02:08 PM »
oh i do hate bristol airport!! we flew from cardiff last september, it was really nice, we live not far from the old severn bridge, so it was easy. martin prefers to go from bristol cause he thinks its closer, it probably is in miles, but sometimes it can take over an hour to get there. after our trip from cardiff we thought we'd try again in june, and would you beleive it, we couldn't!!! we're going from bristol again!
ger x

Offline martin-w

• Forum Fanatic
  • Arillas, my second home!
« Reply #22 on: February 23, 2008, 03:16:35 AM »
Hi All!,
Living in Cardiff I always thought the title 'Cardiff international Airport' meant what it says. It has since dawned on me that many flights available throughout the U.K. are not available from CWL. If they are there is a hefty 'penalty' in the hiked up price for flying 'local'. It strikes me that despite the 'hype' introduced by the so called 'Seneth' or Welsh Parliament there is a lot to be desired with the service from Cardiff Wales Airport! Most of the 'International' flights are via Holland with a relatively expensive link with K.L.M.
Bristol offers more reasonably priced flights, but with the additional journey and expensive parking.
Martin.

Maggie

« Reply #23 on: February 23, 2008, 04:58:24 PM »
Martin, Edinburgh is the same! They put on flights with Globespan to Corfu, and then cancelled them all. Our nearest is glasgow or Newcastle, Newcastle being slightly cheaper, but a longer drive to get there. Edinburgh Airport calls itself 'international', but doesn't appear to have a huge choice of destinations.

Offline justphil

• ARILLIAC
  • Arillas is in my soul
« Reply #24 on: February 23, 2008, 08:42:39 PM »
Hi Maggie

Jen and me have a massive soft spot for Edinburgh. We spent all three weeks of the Festival there for our silver wedding in 1997. Many stories to tell, but maybe not on this forum. It cost us £3,500 but money well spent. We even thought of living there till we realised the pollution and the Guiness would kill us! Gotta chase happy places and never stick in the wrong ones. Sorry Scotsmans Lounge - Arillas turns us on even more. Talk to us about Edinburgh. Do you know how Doogie is doing who sings for a living? Have his  tapes...

You just confirmed our decision Bristol is bad, but Martin points out that Cardiff and you that Edinburgh is even worse. Campaign needed!

with best wishes

phil (but jen is with me on all this)

Posted all day on this subject. Not only do we lack choices, but whatever we do somebody gets the extra money. Who the hell (f**k) are they?

Corfu is apparently expensive for the airlines so they don't go there. Let's all

Maggie

« Reply #25 on: February 24, 2008, 05:42:03 PM »
Phil, £3,500 for 3 weeks in Edinburgh????????
 No wonder you plumped for arillas!!

Offline justphil

• ARILLIAC
  • Arillas is in my soul
« Reply #26 on: February 24, 2008, 05:59:59 PM »
Thanks Maggie. Just need to say that the strange stuff that appeared at the end of my post was not mine. Haven't a clue how it got there and jen and me don't have anything to do with it.

But yes - we did do 3 barrels of Guiness, 80 fringe shows and every night we could we supported the band called North Sea Gas (Dave Kilfillan we think) and Doogie Rush. We were more energetic in those days! We loved Finnegans Wake - could never move in there  but still managed to drink too much Guiness!

Slower and wiser now - good food, sea, sand and wonderful people in Arillas do it for us. Looking forward to meeting you one day

phil and jenny

Booking.com