Author Topic: anything new  (Read 12077 times)

Offline wayne

• arillas trip 6
  • Arillas regular visitor
  • Super Member {over 100 posts}
anything new
« on: September 16, 2007, 03:54:56 PM »
just wondering if anything new is planned where the chinese and pizza place was

Offline John B

• Holiday in Heaven
Re: anything new
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2007, 04:07:27 PM »
The Chinese is now a gift shop, don't know about the Pizza place though.

John

Offline Eggy

• On the Spot reporter
  • ARILLIAC
« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2007, 05:02:57 PM »
The rumour is that Yainnis and brother will be back from America next year so it could be they re-open both Whispers and the Pizza place.
( Unless they've come back with some new ideas )
Negg

Offline wayne

• arillas trip 6
« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2007, 09:10:32 AM »
perhaps a real ale bar would be nice like they once had on thassos, ...if only

Offline Rugbymad

• Golden Medal {over 60 posts}
« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2007, 09:32:05 AM »
Totally with you on that one wino.....

Offline Brian

• Bronze medal {over 20 posts}
« Reply #5 on: September 17, 2007, 10:55:31 AM »
Totally disagree.
I don't want Greece turning into Twickenham.
Drink Mythos with the rest of us.

Offline TerryW

• ARILLIAC
« Reply #6 on: September 17, 2007, 11:02:50 AM »
No no no, not a real ale bar. How Greek would that be? I think a trip to Sidari could statisfy  that need.

Offline ouzoandolives

• Bronze medal {over 20 posts}
  • nikos and titch
« Reply #7 on: September 17, 2007, 01:53:54 PM »
A real ale bar sounds a really good idea its the only thing i miss when im on holiday, but i agree not in arillas its not the right place for it, ina's had a few different beers in this year to sample that satisfied my taste buds till i got home!  Terrys right sidari is the place for that, maybe a real ale drinking night once a week could be arranged!?

Offline dimitris

• Administrator
  • Forum Fanatic
  • 尚 尚 尚 尚 尚
    • www.arillas.com
« Reply #8 on: September 17, 2007, 02:46:14 PM »
Totally disagree.
I don't want Greece turning into Twickenham.
Drink Mythos with the rest of us.
Totaly desagree too,
Arillas is visited by people from all over the world in order to find some greek simplicity and atmosphare.
If we start doing the same mistake like many other resorts in the world then it will be the begining of the end of Arillas the way we all know it.

Dimitris Kourkoulos
Brouklis Str 7
Arillas 49081
Corfu Greece
+30 26630 51418
www.arillas.com
Brouklis Taverna
The 10 things you don't know about Arillas

Offline moi2travel

« Reply #9 on: September 17, 2007, 03:08:55 PM »
The only thing arillas needed was a ATM and we got that, empty buildings dont look so good though.  So whispers and pizza place, as it was, would be good for me,
Those shops that are empty opposite brouklis need a life, then no more buildings please.

Offline TerryW

• ARILLIAC
« Reply #10 on: September 17, 2007, 04:52:37 PM »
I think that a small museum / information centre would be good idea.  I liked the old objects that can be seen in Brouklis ( and I haven't seen eggy there, yet), and it would be nice if more items could be displayed somewhere like a mini museum. Also old photographs could be put on display.   

Or maybe it could be the Arillas forum  members "Drop-in Club", with a separate smoking area :)

Offline Eileen

• ARILLIAC
  • Linakis lemons!
    • http://www.villalinakis.com
« Reply #11 on: September 18, 2007, 09:58:40 AM »
I think that a small museum / information centre would be good idea.  I liked the old objects that can be seen in Brouklis ( and I haven't seen eggy there, yet), and it would be nice if more items could be displayed somewhere like a mini museum. Also old photographs could be put on display.   

I agree Terry,  it would help visitors to focus on and to appreciate Arillas for what it is and not what they want it to be...ie Sidari/little Britain.

Most of the frequent visitors to Arillas are familiar with the local family names.  How interesting it would be to visit a 'Peoples Museum' where we could see photos of the families through the generations.

The first time we took my mum to Brouklis we could not tear her away from the photos inside.  Beware Dimitris,  she is coming over in 2 weeks and wants to see them again...just look busy or else she will be asking  you who's who!

Continuing in the same vein and to bring up the subject yet again (!), the Heritage Trail was such an under-valued asset to Arillas it is such a shame that it could not have been re-routed.

Eileenx

Offline Eggy

• On the Spot reporter
  • ARILLIAC
« Reply #12 on: September 18, 2007, 11:01:14 AM »
Terry
There's generally an old object propped up in the corner of the Coconut most afternoons and which people view with amazement. Some stop and stare and wonder as to age and condition.
Reckon Whispers could make a very good Museum/Info Centre with linked Cafe where you could sit and maybe read a few free newspapers dotted around.
Negg

Offline wayne

• arillas trip 6
« Reply #13 on: September 18, 2007, 11:34:43 AM »
re:real ale bar
it was only wishful thinking.as a non lager drinker,i hate gassy beer and this bar in thassos town called zythion used to serve real/live beers it also served greek food and lots of the locals ate and drank there.they had some beers which were 15% strength.
it wasnt commercial no neon lights just a nice place to go for something different.i know arillas wont go this way as i said wishfull thinking.
and even if they built one in sidari i would not go there.
a can of guinness would be nice though if any bar owners could get some .,after all gin and tonic or vodka and coke are not very greek but people drink them on holiday.

Offline TerryW

• ARILLIAC
« Reply #14 on: September 18, 2007, 01:30:03 PM »
Right, Eggy.

New project for you over the winter period, to set the wheels in motion for the Museum/Info Centre or even Museum/Kafenion.

You could start by walking around Arillas, before the season ends, shouting "Any Old Iron". Then you could put some adverts up asking for "Old Greek Relics"
and you never know what you might get. You might even get some applicants.

Booking.com