Author Topic: Bardis Sun Hotel  (Read 18186 times)

Offline martin-w

• Arillas regular visitor
  • Forum Fanatic
  • Arillas, my second home!
Bardis Sun Hotel
« on: September 21, 2007, 03:45:30 AM »
Hi all!
Just thought I would mention in passing that when I was last in Arillas I stayed at the Bardis Sun Hotel. We had a great time so this time round I was hoping to find out what they are charging. I noticed a news flash at the top of this board 'Bardis Sun Hotel can finally be booked with Thomson Holidays!'.
As it happens the local Thomson booking shop is only round the corner from where I live. I went in there today and couldn't find the hotel in 2007 book(small and friendly) or next years 2008 book. I know the manager well and explained what I was after, and she had a search on the computer. It is listed, but only via the computer in some strange category. They are fully booked for this year.
All the best,
Martin. 

Offline blondegirl

• ARILLIAC
Re: Bardis Sun Hotel
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2007, 10:21:55 AM »
Well thats good they are booked.  When we were staying in the Bardis Sun Studios the Hotel was empty and had only about 5 rooms booked up until then.  They were very expensive though compared to everywhere else.
If you want the rainbow, you gotta put up with the rain.

Offline Wendy n Stu

• Super Member {over 100 posts}
« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2007, 11:46:13 AM »
I am confused by this and wonder if the travel agent or tour operator has got it wrong.  We got back yesterday from the Studios next door and the Hotel is almost empty.  The family that run it are really worried as they don't seem to know what will  happen next year.  According to them Thomas Cook is thinking of taking the Hotel on board but as of yet they don't have confirmation.  hey are really keen to see rooms and obviously if they do, it's great for the resort in general.  If anyone is interested I will ask the family at the Studios for a direct contact number or e-mail address or perhaps Dimitris can provide one.  I am sure the family would be most grateful for any business. 

Offline martin-w

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2007, 02:34:14 PM »
Hi Wendy and Stu!
The last time I visited Arillas my wife and I stayed at the Bardis Sun Hotel and it was booked through Thomson 'small and friendly'. It disappeared from the brochures and I tried to find where it had gone. I seems that a Scandinavian firm were booking it until this year when Thomson started to use it again. If you go to the thomson website under Greece/Arillas/hotel name it does come up, showing that the hotel is open until 15th October with no vacancies for this year. I admit it's most odd as the Thomson Holiday Shop don't have it specifically listed on their computer, but they can find it when they do a 'complicated' search. The hotel was good, but we spent a lot of time with Poppy and her family at the Studios next door. As I recall the Hotel is run by the Bardis family, Spiros and his two brothers and the young lady running the breakfast/catering, Dorita was also a relative of the Bardis family. I think the family also ran one of the Tavernas (possibly the Grazziella) on the front.
As you say, Dimitri will probably be able to fill in the gaps.
All the best,
Martin.   

Offline martin-w

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #4 on: September 25, 2007, 03:11:47 PM »
Now I am confused!
Just visited the Thomson website and all I can get is 'sorry we cannot find anything for these dates' I've tried all dates and all airports... nothing!
The hotel isn't in the 2007 brochure and I've just checked and it does not appear in the 2008 one either!
If the hotel is short of bookings and are worried about next year perhaps we can give them a hand as the accommodation is very good, but a bit pricey through Thomson. Booking direct may be an answer, perhaps members 'in situ' could investigate!
Take care,
Martin. 

Offline Wendy n Stu

• Super Member {over 100 posts}
« Reply #5 on: September 25, 2007, 03:54:15 PM »
Hiya Martin, you are right it's very confusing.  The place is almost empty and they are keen for business.  They have signs outside, etc.  Definitely have vacancies.  Although Poppy and Spiros and the boys next door have the same surname, they are not connected in any way.  Totally separate.  Dorita still runs the Hotel and the family also have Gratzela on the front.  I am sure if anyone does want to book for this year then Dimitris can offer contact details.  For next year maybe Joe can keep people posted on whether or not Thomas Cook take over.  In the meantime the Bardis Sun Studios are with Corfu Escape and can be linked via the home page on this site.  www.corfuescape.com

Offline Smiffypink

• ARILLIAC
« Reply #6 on: September 25, 2007, 04:58:27 PM »
Its a shame its been like this for Dorita this year, i heard they havent been full at any time, there were only 3 couples staying there when i was there in May!

Thomson made the mistake of charging too high a price to holiday there and not very many people would pay it and rightly so, but its Dorita and her family that loses out because of Thomsons Greed, cos you can bet your life they were paying them hardly any of the many they were charging!

I dont think Thomsons are representing them next year, i hope they go with a company who will do right by them.

Offline martin-w

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #7 on: September 25, 2007, 06:22:07 PM »
Hi again all!
From what you have said it strikes me that Thomson are not playing fair with the Bardis family. I am not impressed. Dorita and everyone at the hotel are hard working and bend over backwards to make your holiday enjoyable. They deserve better!
I agree that the prices that Thomson charge for the 'package' is excessive and that would put a lot of people off, but to list the hotel as 'no vacancies' when they are obviously empty and looking for custom seems stupid.
I wonder if they are held to a contract of 'sole agent' with Thomson in exchange for a 'retainer' to prevent the hotel filling up with guests from other sources. Either way this doesn't seem fair.
The hotel would be better off going 'independent' as many of the others have done, I'm sure they would get customers by the recommendation of others and by this website.
I wonder if the situation has anything to do with the recent takeover of Thomson by the German group Tui! A lot of things changed within the Thomson company when the British  company sold out.
Yammas!

Offline martin-w

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #8 on: September 29, 2007, 03:53:04 PM »
Hi all!
Just found out via the Thomson website (by deduction) that package deals are available to the Bardis Sun Hotel at 'special offer' rates. They are charging £750 to £850 for two but will not allow 'single' bookings.
Hope the owners know what extortionate rates Thomson are charging and that they transfer their management to Corfu Escape or go independent!
All the best,
Martin.

Offline Smiffypink

• ARILLIAC
« Reply #9 on: October 01, 2007, 11:22:17 AM »
Its disgusting what they are charging!!

Offline martin-w

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #10 on: October 01, 2007, 02:16:43 PM »
Hi Smiffy!
What we need is someone in Arillas to visit Dorita and tell her what Thomson are charging, then she will realize why she has so many vacancies! As I said, these prices are 'specials' for the end of the season, goodness knows what it would cost at the normal 'going rate'.
If they go independent or switch to another management company with cheaper rates, I would certainly use them again.
Here's hoping,
Martin.

Offline Smiffypink

• ARILLIAC
« Reply #11 on: October 02, 2007, 11:17:49 AM »
Yes that would be a plan, if someone going out this month would then she could then understand why shes had so many vacancies.

'Specials' thats ridiculous, if they were to go with another company and the price was affordable and not comical then im sure Dorita would be flooded with guests!

Offline martin-w

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #12 on: October 19, 2007, 02:04:24 PM »
Hi all!
Now the winter is setting in I find that most nights (and days) I find myself logged on to this website reading up on the latest news and viewing the webcam pictures to cheer myself up!
Once Christmas is over and 'done and dusted' I hope the air fares will have sorted themselves out to a 'reasonable cost' level so that I can make plans to return to Arillas.
Has anybody any further news on The Bardis Sun Hotel? Have they gone independent or changed their operator/agents?
Neil, if you are in the area, perhaps you could pay Dorita a visit and inquire.
Hope all goes well for them next year!
All the best,
Martin.

Offline Eggy

• On the Spot reporter
  • ARILLIAC
« Reply #13 on: October 19, 2007, 04:17:28 PM »
Martin
I'll take a potter down there very soon and ask the question.
Negg

Offline martin-w

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #14 on: October 19, 2007, 05:10:46 PM »
Cheers Neil!
Hope it's good news, as I said before, they deserve a break as they all work so hard to please.
Yammas!
Martin.

Booking.com