Author Topic: Weather in October..  (Read 11598 times)

Offline martin-w

• Arillas regular visitor
  • Forum Fanatic
  • Arillas, my second home!
Weather in October..
« on: September 22, 2007, 02:27:42 AM »
During my research into the climate/weather in Corfu I came across a graph in which the weather is shown to be the wettest between October and April, up to 5 ins. of rain in some months. I have been in Arillas in May and my recollection was only two/three days of storms and the rest hotter than the average British summer.
Can any of you regulars comment on this, as I prefer to travel off peak and May or September/October would suit me better.
Wish I was there now!
Martin.

Offline Sandy x

• Sandy
  • ARILLIAC
  • Kouklospito
Re: Weather in October..
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2007, 01:03:47 AM »
I think it's impossible to generalise. I've been in May and it's been absolutely boiling with no trace of rain, but equally I've been in May and been frozen with rain and storms almost every day.

I've also been in October when it has always been pleasantly warm - anyhting from 22 to 28 degrees. The sea is lovely and warm, but you will be very lucky not to get the odd day of rain in October. Certainly you will need a jumper/jacket in the evenings and I always take an umbrella/waterproof to be on the safe side. Whatever....it will be better than the UK!

Although today in Hampshire has been fantastic - still in the garden at 7pm without a jumper!
Sandy x

Offline Lindypops

• ARILLIAC
« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2007, 01:08:50 AM »
Hi Martin. We were in Arillas last October, and it was lovely, just needed a top at night. Bought a fleece from Yiota. It was really nice, as Arillas was closing down, but still relaxing.
Lindypops.

Offline smifco

« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2007, 05:59:33 PM »
Hi lindypops.
                 Did you go the first two weeks of October or the last two. I ask as we are going on the 28th (next friday), and wondered when things start to close down in Arillas. Also I need to accomodate three birthdays in my group in the first week and could do with some reccomends, prefferably a Greek night type of thing if poss. Any suggestions

Offline Lindypops

• ARILLIAC
« Reply #4 on: September 23, 2007, 06:09:37 PM »
Hi smifco. I think it was around the middle, and very nice.Some places were closed, and some open. There was still enough for us, and we had a great time. I`m just off to send you a PM.
Lindypops.

Offline Crawsue

• Bronze medal {over 20 posts}
« Reply #5 on: September 24, 2007, 04:25:12 PM »
I think Arillas is pretty much closing down as October progresses,if you want a warm welcome good food at very reasonable prices then the restaurant at the Hotel Marina has a Greek night most weeks.Dida,one of the owners has two sons,'Telis and George who are fantastic dancers,along with the other George who is one of their waiters.Hope your celebrations go well,I will be interested in hearing about your weather.

Offline Wendy n Stu

• Super Member {over 100 posts}
« Reply #6 on: September 25, 2007, 12:48:44 PM »
It is hard to say.  We have been there as late as 7 Oct for a week.  We had good weather and were on the beach most days although we did have a bad thunderstorm one evening.  Last September we experienced floods in the resort, this September the weather has been perfect, clear blue skies, not a drop of rain in sight.  I think in general in May and September we have experienced good days in the main, odd days of cloud/overcast and occasional light showers that have passed by quickly. 

Offline JohnJ

• Super Member {over 100 posts}
« Reply #7 on: September 25, 2007, 03:45:42 PM »
We have been in October in two different years and had brilliant weather both times. On the first occasion we had no rain whatsoever and it could have been July the weather was that good.  In 2006 we went again from the 2cnd October to 16th and had only 3 hours of rain one morning.  The rest of the time it was blistering hot.  You do find the odd taverna closes the second week of October but there are still plenty of good ones that stay open.  And some of the best including Mon Amour are open all year through.
Regards
John
JOHN JOHNSON

Offline Corfusoon

• Helios Court Villa
  • Arillas Addict
  • Helios Court Arillas Corfu
    • Luxury Villa in Arillas
« Reply #8 on: October 05, 2007, 09:29:55 AM »
We love holidaying here in October (Here now!!!)

We usually come the first two weeks in October but have come as late as the second and third.

In the last 3 years we have only had a morning of rain. Obviously that could be just luck. However we have had quite a few showers in May. Apart from the longer days in May we prefer October. The sea is warmer, as is the water at Aqualand, the Chefs and waiting staff are all well broken in!!

Either time my wife will want the pool heating on.

We havent yet experienced a whole day of rain. If it rains here it seems to be in torrential showers that dry up within a few hours and make you wonder where it all went. It remains warm and gives you opportunity to sit outside on the veranda if not sunbathe. Just find a bar or Taverna and sit it out.

After the second week things are definitely on the wind down. Some of the "Contract" hotels start to close but most places are still open if only on a skeleton staff. Given the drop in visitors this still leaves plenty for good service. A lot of the eateries will drop to just the core of family staff. Actually this improves the food and service some places!

In the evening you might want to take a light sweater. Last night though I was quite comfortable eating outside in the Brouklis in a long sleaved shirt and light trousers. I would say at that last night was a good few degrees cooler than over the last week.

IMHO Corfu is much under-rated this late on. I wish the flights would continue direct later into the year. In fact last year they were swimming on the beach and sunbathing on Christmas day!

If we have an unseasonably hot or cold winter in Arillas this year it will still be at least 10 degrees warmer than home.

Not looking forward to that drop in temperature coming home next week.

Regards
Style, Luxury, Tranquillity
Helios Court Villa, Arillas, Corfu.
http://www.corfuvilla.holiday

Offline martin-w

• Forum Fanatic
  • Arillas, my second home!
« Reply #9 on: October 05, 2007, 01:40:49 PM »
Hi Corfusoon!
Thanks for your very informative input! I wish I was there now the weather here in the G.B. has started to take a turn for the worst. You have confirmed what I had suspected about the weather in Corfu in October. Personally I am not a fan of 'blistering' heat as I like to do a lot of walking and wildlife photography and there is an amazing opportunity for both in Arillas. Maybe we'll meet up there sometime.
Have a great time,
Martin. 

Offline Corfusoon

• Helios Court Villa
  • Arillas Addict
« Reply #10 on: October 06, 2007, 09:43:43 AM »
Hi Martin

I hope so.

Forecast has been wrong again all week. Meant to be thunder last Friday when we arrived (None, just hot and sunny) and heavy cloud forecast yesterday all afternoon. Actually I think yesterday felt like the hottest day of our stay with sunshine nearly all day.

Thunder tomorrow afternoon- well we will see!

Looks like another beautiful morning here.

Regards

Offline Lindypops

• ARILLIAC
« Reply #11 on: October 06, 2007, 12:08:30 PM »
The storms are very good to see.
Lindypops.

Offline Corfusoon

• Helios Court Villa
  • Arillas Addict
« Reply #12 on: October 07, 2007, 08:05:58 PM »
Well then.

It started to rain about 10am at 24 degrees. Rained on and off sometimes fairly hard for about 3 hours.

Beatiful afternoon. Everything dried up. We went for a drive down to Ag Steph and walked along the beach. Still a bit blowy but very pleasant.

Hired a silly buggy thing for an hour to amuse Kids and Dad at 10 Euros from Spiros Rentals.

Stopped in a beach side resteraunt "Waves" (Really lovely people, good food and very reasonable). We sat and watched the Lightning flash in the distance while we ordered.

Then all hell broke loose! Massive Thunderstorm, torrential rain. We moved inside then that got a bit wet. Soaked to the skin getting to our car.

The roads are rivers and hills are quite slick.

Something else to see I agree and not quite as forecast. However certainly not a wash out as a day at all.

Offline Lindypops

• ARILLIAC
« Reply #13 on: October 07, 2007, 11:11:25 PM »
It sounds fabulous, wish I could see it.
Lindypops.

Booking.com