Author Topic: Walking  (Read 21964 times)

Offline beachbum

• Arillas regular visitor
Walking
« on: October 03, 2007, 12:09:27 AM »
When we were in Arillas we took a trip to Paleokastista (hope thats right had a few now) but we came back through a village that was selling wine from the tables.  (Jeeps it sounds bad).  But what we are really looking for is a good walk, we have done Sidari and the cash machine returning back by is it? Devils Cliff and the Sunset Bar we have also been the other way to San Geogious and Porto Timento, probably got the names all wrong apologies for that, But any new walks would be appreciated!   

Offline sharonF

• ARILLIAC
Re: Walking
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2007, 11:35:15 AM »
Hi we went to Paleokastritsa and went through the village you're talking about, was it Makrades? One of the old ladies nearly threw herself in front of the car to get our attention.  Then we noticed the tables with wine and honey, bought the wine and a jar of honey and nuts.  The wine didn't taste the same as the sample! 

Offline ANN

• Bronze medal {over 20 posts}
« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2007, 10:25:26 PM »
We have done quite a bit of walking around Arillas.  Arillas to Angelokastro and back is a lovely day out if it isnt too hot.  We also walked to Sidari along a track that passes a monastery but had to take the bus back to San Stephanos because of a sore blister.
If you look at www.Marengowalks.com, Lance Chilton has written a book called Walks in Northwest Corfu which has a very good map. The Sunflower book Landscapes of Corfu is also very good and you can get updates for the walks on their website.
I would also like to hear of any new walks that I can try next year.

Offline Diane x

• Golden Medal {over 60 posts}
« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2007, 11:54:54 PM »
We have found it quite amusing driving thru Makrades seeing the aggressive olive sellers ! They are never young are they and they almost run after you if you don't stop !

Offline Baldy Barry

• Forum Fanatic
    • myspace.com
« Reply #4 on: October 04, 2007, 11:03:23 AM »
When we drove through there three old ladies started coming toward's the car with outstretched arm's and our 14 year old son said it was like the zombies dance on the Thriller video !
Hope I don't burn !

Offline sharonF

• ARILLIAC
« Reply #5 on: October 04, 2007, 12:27:08 PM »
LOL, Barry and sinbadsgirl.  Talk about power selling!   There must have been one old lady about 100 years old in a wheelchair, think they push her out in front of cars.  One further down flagged us over pretending to show us a map and we ended up buying even more wine! 

Offline Baldy Barry

• Forum Fanatic
    • myspace.com
« Reply #6 on: October 04, 2007, 01:49:53 PM »
Aaagh the guy with the map !
He flagged us down and pulled his map out and asked where we were headed.We told him Arillas and he gave us great directions and showed us his map."What a nice bloke"! we thought and then he started with the wine selling routine !
I swear he was hanging onto the car door as we skidded off !
Hope I don't burn !

Offline sharonF

• ARILLIAC
« Reply #7 on: October 04, 2007, 02:30:15 PM »
hahahhaha, barry that's him.  He did exactly the same to us, isn't he weird lookin, we were sayin, jesus he looks like he's an extra for psycho!!

Offline Baldy Barry

• Forum Fanatic
    • myspace.com
« Reply #8 on: October 04, 2007, 02:40:39 PM »
I'm sure I saw him playing the banjo in "Deliverance"!
Hope I don't burn !

Offline JohnJ

• Super Member {over 100 posts}
« Reply #9 on: October 04, 2007, 03:49:47 PM »
There are lots of great walks around Arillas and the books that have been mentioned in other messages are all good.  However if you are into serious walking and some of you must be if you are contemplating walking to Angelokastro or Paleo then you ought to buy a copy of " The Corfu Trail".  A guide to walking from the southern tip of the island to the northernmost point.   We took ten days to do it during a two holiday based in Arillas, but you can just pick out odd days from the book and do one or more of them.   The scenery and countryside that you go through are fantastic and we shall never forget our trek, it really was something to treasure.  Good luck to all you prospective walkers
Regards
John
JOHN JOHNSON

Offline ANN

« Reply #10 on: October 04, 2007, 07:00:55 PM »
Congratulations on walking the Corfu Trail JohnJ. We hope to do some of it next year.

According to the Corfu trail website "The Companion Guide to the Corfu Trail" written by Hilary Paipeti is currently out of print. Hope the next edition is available for next spring.

Offline chorltonfiona

• TickerFactory
« Reply #11 on: October 08, 2007, 08:00:34 PM »
I bet those old ladies are only really about 35 - it's just that they have spent years drinking that stuff they sell in the old lemonade bottles!

Booking.com