Author Topic: Greek Islands  (Read 25600 times)

Offline alyvin

• Golden Medal {over 60 posts}
Re: Greek Islands
« Reply #30 on: December 16, 2007, 06:12:57 PM »
I've been to Kefalonia- Lassi and Katelios, Crete- Stalis, Mykonos- Mykonos Town, Lesbos- Anaxos, Skala Kalloni, Zante- Alikes, Kalamaki, Skiathos- Aghia paraveski. I would say Arillas was better than all these and the only resort I have ever returned to. Last sept went to Dalyan in Turkey and will revisit there next september as the weather is more dependable than Corfu and had a really good holiday- would recommend. Am back in Arillas in May though.

Offline Shuey

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #31 on: December 17, 2007, 01:04:01 PM »
Our first holiday abroad was to the Paros.  It was a lovely island but a nightmare to get to.  Flying into Mykinos and then a ferry across.  I would love to go back but i am sure its changed in 20 years.

have been to Zante twice.  Stayed in Lagana 19 years ago and then stayed in Tsilivi about 7 years ago.  We visited Lagana whilst we were there and did not recognise a single thing there apart from the beach!!  It was heaving.  Tsilivi was lovely, our hotel was right on the beach it was goregous.

Have been to Rhodes and stayed in Tholos.  There was absolutely nothing to do there.  We did like Rhodes town though.

Have lost count of the times we have been to Corfu.  Started off staying in Sidari years ago and have been back 4 times.  Then we stayed in Arillas twice in one year.  Then Acharavi and San Stefanos.

Our favourites are definately Arillas and i also like San Stefanos.

Offline ger

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #32 on: December 17, 2007, 02:55:58 PM »
have been to rhodes zante (we stayed in alikanes and loved it) crete kefalonia but my favourite of all was santorini, it is volcanic so the sand was black very strange sunbathing on black sand!! the sunset from the capital thira was amazing it was just a magical place to be, have been there 3 times!! but that was before i found arillas, this june will be the 3rd visit but difinately not the last!!

Offline carol

• Arillas regular visitor
  • Arillas Addict
« Reply #33 on: January 26, 2008, 11:11:35 PM »
We're going to Santorini this year for a change.Theres just the two of us going,we're leaving all the kids at home.We've been looking at pictures on the web and because of the volcano the sand is black.does anybody know if you get dirty off it?? please dont think im stupid. cx
Im going to become to nanna for the first time in February cx

Offline Smiffypink

• ARILLIAC
« Reply #34 on: January 26, 2008, 11:15:25 PM »
When we went to Tenerife a few years ago, one of the beaches there was black sand and no, you dont get dirty from it, well we didnt anyway.

Offline Erja

• Beer Quality controler
  • ARILLIAC
  • Royal Ionian Gold...amber nectar, only better ;)
« Reply #35 on: January 27, 2008, 10:14:38 AM »
Of the islands I have been to Corfu (all over), Crete (Malia), Kos (Kefalos) and Thassos(Limenaria). Corfu was my first love and none of the other islands come even close. Well, maybe Thassos is a good second :)

On the mainland I have travelled quite extensively from Alexandropoulis and Komotini in the east to Kastoria up north and all the way down to South to Patras and Athens whilst I lived in Thessaloniki. Greece is just amazingly beautiful country!
Life is good ;)

Offline sue

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #36 on: January 27, 2008, 11:23:11 AM »
we have been to zante laganas, rhodes, kos loved them all but nothing beats arillas
we go back year after year
but missed it last year
so i have to go sometime this year

Offline Bay Walkers

« Reply #37 on: January 27, 2008, 01:13:25 PM »
Our first Greek experience was Sidari, donkey's years ago with a pleasant apartment on the beach. The kids loved it (married now) and the whole place had a lovely feel about it. Nowadays I would rather poke myself in the eye with a sharp stick than stay in that resort!!
Paxos is a wonderful island by ferry from Corfu and Skopelos is an island we hope to return to sometime.
Pefkos in Rhodes has a loyal following not unlike Arillas, where again visitors don't seem to require sports shirts with their own names emblazoned on the back to remember who they are and from which cave they belong to.

We're fairly well travelled and have even been to Gateshead, but there's a lot to be said for returning to a familiar place to find it hasn't changed much and it ticks all the boxes.

John & Frances

Offline blondegirl

• ARILLIAC
« Reply #38 on: January 27, 2008, 06:40:05 PM »
We love the Greek Islands especially after we tried Lanzarote (black sand and I am sorry to say I hated it).  I think most of the greek islands must be much of a muchness as the saying goes but we do love Western Crete and have now fallen in love with Corfu which is much greener I think.
If you want the rainbow, you gotta put up with the rain.

Offline patrickjohn

• Lincolnshire Yellow Belly
  • ARILLIAC
  • PJM
« Reply #39 on: January 27, 2008, 08:43:58 PM »
Agree with you blondegirl that Greek Islands have a certain similarity.  However each one seems to have a character of its own.
Thought that Crete was very interesting.  We stayed at Elounda and the beaches round there were not much to write home about.  However we found the beach at Malia absolutely wonderful - several miles of golden sand and warm sea. (Pity about all the quad bikes in that area though.
Mentioned on the first page of this thread that we were thinking of following our May holiday in Arillas with an autumn holiday back in Kos.
We've now booked two weeks in Tingaki in September back at the Mythos apartments which we found so good last year.  We are looking forward to the splendid beach and the oportunity to sunbathe (as nature intended) down near the salt lake.
All the best
PJ

My book"A Policemance Tale" at Amazon
https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B0B8BD9MWM

Offline blondegirl

• ARILLIAC
« Reply #40 on: January 28, 2008, 12:42:37 AM »
We have stayed in Plaka opposite Spinalonga island nr. Elounda.  We had a lovely holiday but the beach in Plaka has large pebbles and Elounda had a small beach, nice harbour though.  My favourite beach which I have mentioned before was Elafonisos..Pink sand in a lagoon, about 1.5 hrs from Chania.  Its worth the drive as it goes through a gorge and has wonderful bendy hair raising roads and fantastic  scenery.  Also Falasarna which has about 3 beaches, all almost white sand and great place to swim. I wouldnt say its ideal for kids though as it can get very windy and the sea shelves quite quickly so you can get out of your depth.  Apart from Arillas these are the nicest beaches we usually go back to if we can.

Offline Shuey

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #41 on: January 28, 2008, 01:57:04 PM »
We have been to most of the Canary islands - and didn't rate any of them.  Have been to Majorca and Ibiza and liked certain parts of the islands.  I dont think you can beat Greece though.  The hospitality of the Greeks is so different to the Spanish.  Also there the food....... unlike Spain - spanish food consist of paella!

We are off to Sorrento this year in September and am really looking forward to it.  I still hope we manage to get to Arillas in June though!!

Offline burger

• Golden Medal {over 60 posts}
« Reply #42 on: January 28, 2008, 08:19:54 PM »

Offline blondegirl

• ARILLIAC
« Reply #43 on: January 28, 2008, 08:42:55 PM »
Reading the link was really interesting.. thanks for that!

Offline M n M

• Arillas regular visitor
  • Arillas Addict
« Reply #44 on: January 28, 2008, 11:09:49 PM »
Carol
we went to Santorini about 5 years ago, fantastic place, it was very hot (June) and no problem with the black sand, it brushes off just like any other colour. The bus service was very good, no need to hire a car. We will go again.
Mick

Booking.com