Author Topic: Mosquito Nets  (Read 12152 times)

Offline TerryW

• Arillas regular visitor
  • ARILLIAC
Mosquito Nets
« on: January 07, 2008, 03:11:02 PM »
Well Christmas is over and its time for serious thinking about holiday requirements.

I have done a search on the forum for mosquito nets and I found a topic raised by Eileen way back in 2004. So I thought that I would raise the topic again as I don't want to be bitten by them when I sleep. The link given by Eileen does not seem to work ( http://www.knightangelnets.com/ ), maybe the site has a new web address.

I went to a Go Outdoors shop yesterday in Coventry and saw lots of different types of nets ( see http://www.gooutdoors.co.uk/travel-equipment/insect ). and I am trying to decide which type to take to Arillas.

Has anyone used any of these nets and if so were they any good? I suppose the the size of the net for the luggage is important and needs to be assessed against performance.

I just don't want to be bitten badly again so I am taking all the precautions possible.

TerryW

Offline vivian

• Vivian
  • ARILLIAC
  • Stay Nude it ant Rude
    • http://www.holmvalley.com
Re: Mosquito Nets
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2008, 03:28:15 PM »
Hi Terry, have just had a look at the site you found. The only thing that I would like to mention is that most have hanging pointsand we cant go putting in screws and stuff so what are we going to hang it from? so I would go for the free standing one. Havent tried one but think I might give it ago in May as I get attacked by mossies and sandfly quite seriously and have the scars to prove it. Viv

Stay Nude it ante rude

Offline Lindypops

• ARILLIAC
« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2008, 05:07:53 PM »
Hi. We took some stick on nets, which seemed ok.
Lindypops.

Offline TerryW

• ARILLIAC
« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2008, 05:18:10 PM »
Lindypops, - Where do you stick them - to the ceiling?

Viv, - You can be the guinea pig for the nets in May then, and I can then see your report before buying. I just hate the thought of having the irritation of bites again in July.

Maybe Eggy could hire some out, one jar of pickled onions per week of mosquito net hire.

Offline martin-w

• Forum Fanatic
  • Arillas, my second home!
« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2008, 06:48:16 PM »
Hi All!
Its not so bad in May as the evenings are not too hot generally. I usually 'batten down the hatches' stick on the mozzicutor electric plug- in before going out for the evening and give myself a good dose of repellent. When I return the little b*****s that have been in the room are dead.
While we are on the subject, which repellents work the best, like you Terry, the little blighter's love me and I don't want to end up like a chicken pox case again!
Martin.

Offline kevin.g

• ARILLIAC
  • Kevin and julie
« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2008, 07:29:39 PM »
terry my wife gets bitten bad so i take a hanging net and suction hooks for the ceiling as the the sticky ones mark,you can get them from most pound shops,remember to tuck the net in under the mattress,as the blighters might still get in ...........yammas

Offline Lindypops

• ARILLIAC
« Reply #6 on: January 12, 2008, 03:34:19 PM »
Terry, around the windows of course.
Lindypops.

Offline Eggy

• On the Spot reporter
  • ARILLIAC
« Reply #7 on: January 12, 2008, 05:55:47 PM »
Where do you stick pickled onions

Terry - I know where I'll stick a few when we meet in June.
( Hiring out mozzie nets indeed )

Sorry Matey - Just had to be done!

Negg

Offline justphil

• ARILLIAC
  • Arillas is in my soul
« Reply #8 on: January 13, 2008, 10:55:58 PM »
Jen suffered badly in 2004 and had 17 bites lanced. She still has the scars.

It kept us away for 4 years, but last year 2007 we went twice, and she didn't get any bites at all.

It wasn't the night time, but early evening sitting in tavernas that the little b******s strike. She now uses Boots Jungle Strength lotion all over her feet and calfs which is where they go by choice, and wears pop-sox and floaty trousers when we go out at that time (ie every night!)

Terry - forget about floaty trousers!!!

We took nets last time but they were more trouble than they were worth.

Phil and Jenny

Offline sharonF

• ARILLIAC
« Reply #9 on: January 14, 2008, 02:50:37 PM »
Yes it's early evening in the tavernas when I get bitten as well.  I recommend boots tropical strength sprays as well, I also use the wipes to "top up" with as well.  They do work, the one night I forgot to use them i was bitten.

Offline Paul C

• Arillas Addict
« Reply #10 on: January 15, 2008, 08:50:04 PM »
I think I would agree, the worst time for bites is in the evening when you are out and about. My wife Diane reacts badly to mozzie bites and she has used every repellant under the sun, but they still seem to get her.We stayed at Irenes Villas last year where nets are supplied also mesh over the windows but still Diane was bitten. We are sure its the evenings when the b*****s get her. I was once told that if you use a mozzie machine at night you should leave a window slightly open to allow the mozzies to escape the aroma. Am I right ?

Paul

Offline martin-w

• Forum Fanatic
  • Arillas, my second home!
« Reply #11 on: January 15, 2008, 11:34:04 PM »
No Paul,
If you leave the windows open you just let the reinforcements in!
There is no simple way of stopping the pests. I want to know why do they pick on some people like me, and others are immune? Last time I came under 'severe attack' I looked like a chickenpox case!
Martin.

Offline blondegirl

• ARILLIAC
« Reply #12 on: January 16, 2008, 01:02:40 AM »
We leave the shutters closed and open the window a bit (recommended by locals). The mosquito machines etc. are only repellents so they have to escape somehow, they dont get zapped.  Mike does that with a towel!!  I have lemon incense sticks burning.  Diluted lemongrass sprayed all over the beds and around the windows and doors.  Last year we left a coil burning in the kitchen when we went to bed, not a good idea!  It set the smoke alarm off and smelt horrible.  We eat marmite every day too... seems to work.
If you want the rainbow, you gotta put up with the rain.

Offline blondegirl

• ARILLIAC
« Reply #13 on: January 16, 2008, 01:05:07 AM »
Oh forgot Vit B12 or whatever... it is on another thread on here somewhere.  We took them before we went and also on holiday.
If you want the rainbow, you gotta put up with the rain.

Offline justphil

• ARILLIAC
  • Arillas is in my soul
« Reply #14 on: January 16, 2008, 01:07:38 AM »
We always take nag-champa incense sticks and burn them after dark on the balcony - smell nice and seem to keep them away while we sit with a night cap (KoumQuat or Black Russian!)

Easy to get in Glastonbury but don't know about rest of country...could help if anyone wants them.

philandjen

Booking.com