Author Topic: pop-ups.  (Read 10255 times)

Maggie

pop-ups.
« on: January 13, 2008, 10:17:15 PM »
Does anyone else have a problem with pop-ups? I never used to experience this trouble, but now, whenever I login here, I have them appear. It's very annoying, and I don't know how to stop them! Can anyone out there help me please?

riggers

Re: pop-ups.
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2008, 10:27:57 PM »
Yes i have the same problem...

Maggie

« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2008, 10:28:48 PM »
Don't you know how to fix it either then??

Offline JohnTheRef&Dot

• Arillas regular visitor
  • ARILLIAC
  • First star to the right and straight on to Arillas
« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2008, 10:31:15 PM »
is your blocker open?

Offline justphil

• ARILLIAC
  • Arillas is in my soul
« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2008, 10:39:11 PM »
Hi Maggie, hows Edinburgh? Jen and me just love the Festival - for our silver wedding we spent three weeks there. Three barrels (yes!) of Guiness and so many fringe shows. Oh yes.

But serioulsly - Internet Explorer has its own popup blocker and I copied this from the help file:

How do I turn Pop-up Blocker on or off?

Pop-up Blocker is turned on in Internet Explorer by default. To turn it off or to turn it on again if you've already turned it off, follow these steps:

To turn Pop-up Blocker on or off

In Internet Explorer, click the Tools button, and then click Pop-up Blocker.
Do one of the following:
To turn off Pop-up Blocker, click Turn Off Pop-up Blocker.
To turn on Pop-up Blocker, click Turn On Pop-up Blocker.

If that doesn't help go to Tools/Internet Options and delete all the browsing history  and cookies. If you need help with that, send us a PM and we'll lead you through it.

Hope this helps. All of us get some bother with popups. Wouldn't mind if they were all about Arillas....

phil and jen

Offline dimitris

• Administrator
  • Forum Fanatic
  • 尚 尚 尚 尚 尚
    • www.arillas.com
« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2008, 10:40:46 PM »
Hello Magie and riggers!
What kind of Popups are they?
In our website no pop ups should appear
Is there anyone else having that too?

Dimitris
Dimitris Kourkoulos
Brouklis Str 7
Arillas 49081
Corfu Greece
+30 26630 51418
www.arillas.com
Brouklis Taverna
The 10 things you don't know about Arillas

Maggie

« Reply #6 on: January 13, 2008, 10:46:01 PM »
Dimitris, the popups I get are stuff like gambling and mobile phone adverts. I delete them as soon as they come in, and don't really read them. Thanks Phil and Jen, I've got firefox, and I can't find a way to stop them.

Offline dimitris

• Administrator
  • Forum Fanatic
  • 尚 尚 尚 尚 尚
    • www.arillas.com
« Reply #7 on: January 13, 2008, 10:51:25 PM »
hmm they are definately not from our website.
Except if anyone else is having the same ones by the time he gets on arillas.com.  which means a lot of wiping brushing and cleaning  for me on the website
You have to check your system for programs that are called adware.

dimitris
Dimitris Kourkoulos
Brouklis Str 7
Arillas 49081
Corfu Greece
+30 26630 51418
www.arillas.com
Brouklis Taverna
The 10 things you don't know about Arillas

Offline justphil

• ARILLIAC
  • Arillas is in my soul
« Reply #8 on: January 13, 2008, 11:06:06 PM »
Dimitris, we never get popups from arillas.com.

Many computer users have all sorts of adware/spyware present without even knowing it. The internet is wonderful (makes Arillas a daily fix for us!) but also has dangers and troubles. Like kids on facebook or bebo etc.

Some sites set tracking cookies, others make changes to your system without consent and it is like being violated.

Jen and I are both very computer literate - I even teach it at College, so we can deal with it all. All I can say is that your site (may it last forever) is NOT the source of adware or spyware.

Guess people will end up paying for software to protect themselves. Is it the producers of that software who produce the viruses and malware???

Maggie

« Reply #9 on: January 13, 2008, 11:13:50 PM »
I'm not blaming this website for my problem Dimitri. It does happen when I'm on here, but thats probably cos I'm always on here. I spend a lot of my computer time here, but I get popups on any site I visit. Phil, I have done a check on my security, and cleaned it up, but the popups haven't gone. It may be from something my daughter has been doing, but I asked here cos i wondered if it may be something others experience too. And because I thought some of the forum members who are cleverer than me would know how to stop it!

Offline kes

• Forum Fanatic
  • Relax
    • Relax in Arillas
« Reply #10 on: January 13, 2008, 11:21:52 PM »
Most pop ups & spyware originate from Dodgy websites!!! stay away from them...
You don`t have to buy any security software its all free ...
Forget Norton & Mccafee  Top heavy and cause more problems than they solve!!
Windows Xp / Vista  has built in Firewall / Popup blocker /Anti Phishing also download
Windows defender..Free    http://www.microsoft.com/athome/security/spyware/software/default.mspx

Avg antivirus ...Free//   http://free.grisoft.com/doc/download-free-anti-virus/us/frt/0

Super Antispyware...Free      http://www.superantispyware.com/superantispywarefreevspro.html

thats all you need..Honest ..........

Offline Lindypops

• ARILLIAC
« Reply #11 on: January 14, 2008, 12:25:36 AM »
Thanks kes.
Lindypops.

Offline martin-w

• Forum Fanatic
  • Arillas, my second home!
« Reply #12 on: January 14, 2008, 04:03:33 AM »
Hi All!
About a year ago my son, who is a musician with his own studio bought an Apple Mac G5 quad processor computer to 'run' his studio. I used to have a P.C. built by my other son who is a computer engineer. I bought my younger son's old Apple Mac G4 from him, and although it's OSX operating system is a bit different to use than my old P.C. I have no problems on any site with popups, cookies or any junk. It would seem that the Apple Mac system is 'immune' to all these intrusions without the need to buy 'protection' as its all built into the operating system. It's totally stable, never 'crashes' and is the best investment I have made in a long time. The Apple system is brilliant for music, Photos and all the normal computer things you do with none of the hassle!
I'll consult my 'computer buff' engineer son to see if he has any ideas.
All the best,
Martin.

Offline Erja

• Beer Quality controler
  • ARILLIAC
  • Royal Ionian Gold...amber nectar, only better ;)
« Reply #13 on: January 14, 2008, 08:46:27 AM »
Maggie,

I use Firefox and you can go into Tools, Options and click on Content and just tick Block Pop Up Windows.

Dimitri,

I have never had any pop ups from this site, so I don't think it is a problem for you.
Life is good ;)

Offline kes

• Forum Fanatic
  • Relax
    • Relax in Arillas
« Reply #14 on: January 14, 2008, 11:22:57 AM »
Correct about the Mac`s martin...just the initial purchase cost can be a bit expensive

Booking.com