Author Topic: walking in may  (Read 79167 times)

Offline charlietoosey

walking in may
« on: January 17, 2008, 11:59:19 AM »
Hello to all members for the first time from me
In May I will visit Arillas for two weeks and wonder what walking there may be locally that two fit and 'young' pensioners may undertake?

Offline Mango

• Arillas regular visitor
  • Forum Fanatic
Re: walking in may
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2008, 12:05:01 PM »
Hi Charlietoosey

One good walk to get you started is the walk over the cliff tops to San Stefano.  An excellent walk and not too gruelling.  Lots of tavernas and shops in San Stefano to call in when you get there.

Amanda

Offline charlietoosey

« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2008, 12:10:20 PM »
Hi Amanda  thanks for that, I look forward to that and many more in that warm and green environment.

Offline blondegirl

• ARILLIAC
« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2008, 12:18:36 PM »
Thats a great walk.  There are no short cuts back though -   If you ask the locals for a short cut dont believe them!  You have to fight your way through the gorse bushes to get to the cliff again.  The only way is to go back along the cliff again or the road to Arillas.

We attempted the Afionas walk last year and was so glad we did it.  The first time we gave up as we came to the bendy hill, this time we took it slow with lots of stops and it wasnt as bad as we thought.  It was well worth it. Fabulous views at the top of Afionas.  If I had the energy I would have like to walk to San George Nth. LOL

Also, if you look on the Arillas map for the Galini, you can see a road that goes at the back of the apartments... carry on there up towards the little church and school , bear left and that takes you to the main road to San Stef.  Carry straight on and then at the junction bear left and that takes you down to Arillas to the Amourada.

Thats a nice little walk too.  There are a couple of little walks around the village too.  We are in our 50's and enjoy a walk but are not serious walkers.  I am sure you will enjoy the area.  All these have been tried and tested by the majority of visitors to Arillas as they were recommended to me. :-)
If you want the rainbow, you gotta put up with the rain.

Offline Eileen

• ARILLIAC
  • Linakis lemons!
    • http://www.villalinakis.com
« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2008, 02:52:13 PM »
There is a short cut of sorts to/from San Steph that does not involve battling the gorse bushes. :-)

I like to do it on my return journey to preserve my energy for the evening shenanigans!

You return  from San Steph' via the road.  At the top of the 'bendy hill, you would usually turn left heading up towards the junction with Christos apartments on the right hand side.

The shortcut
...at the top of bendy hill road you turn to your right, cross the road and shortly on your left you would come to  well used track (wheelie bins opposite) which takes you down to the beach road which runs along the back of the Mathraki and ends up down at Eftihia.  It''s a little difficult to explain, but if you look at Dimitris's aerial map... http://www.arillas.com/page/content/view/170/209/lang,en/ you can see where the track finishes up opposite Napoleon apts.

Eileenxx

Offline martin-w

• Forum Fanatic
  • Arillas, my second home!
« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2008, 02:58:21 PM »
Hi Charlietoosey!
When in May are you staying? I get there on 2nd.
As Blondegirl says there are many 'tried and tested' walks round and about the village none of which are particularly difficult as long as you take your time. The route Eileen has suggested I have used many times and quite easy to find  when you are actually there.
Afionas is well worth the trip particularly if you like beautiful scenery. I'm 60 this year and find the going relatively easy.
I have a book 'Walks in Northwest Corfu' by Lance Chilton which I use whenever I'm in Arillas. It's  by Marengo Publications, 17, Bernard Crescent,Hunstanton. PE36 6ER. Tel.01485 532710. or on line at <www.marengowalks.com>. It is supplied with a large scale map and a carry pouch to keep it clean whilst out and about! All the major and minor paths and roads are shown in detail as well as points of interest, tavernas and churches etc. You cant really get lost if you have a copy.
Hope this helps,
Martin.

Offline TerryW

• ARILLIAC
« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2008, 03:25:56 PM »
to preserve my energy for the evening shenanigans

Thats an interesting thing to say Eileen :-)

What does it mean?

Offline charlietoosey

« Reply #7 on: January 17, 2008, 05:09:58 PM »
Many thanks to all have replied, I hope to put your advice to good use in May.
 I have just bought he book of walks mentioned too, download permitting!

Offline blondegirl

• ARILLIAC
« Reply #8 on: January 17, 2008, 06:49:14 PM »
Now I am really interested in finding this shortcut.  When we asked the girl in San Stef. Travel she said it was up past the corner cafe, so off we trekked and it came to a dead end in someones garden... so had to come back down again.  Now I am going to definately have to do the walk again so I can find this shortcut, its really bugging me now!
Thanks Eileen...

Offline Eileen

• ARILLIAC
  • Linakis lemons!
« Reply #9 on: January 17, 2008, 06:51:47 PM »
Hi Charlietoosy,

I'm sure you will thoroughly enjoy your walking in May,  the spring flowers are just wonderful.  If I'm not walking far then one of my favourite past times is 'nebbing' in all the gardens as I wander about Arillas. :-)

to preserve my energy for the evening shenanigans

Thats an interesting thing to say Eileen :-)

What does it mean?

LOL...Terry I meant playfulness and nonsense...all depending on who's company we are in and if I'm encouraged to be silly!!!!  Usually that would mean one of my sister's are with me as we all imbibe in similiar quantities of drink :o

Oh dear Sandy....I've not put you off this May meet up have I ;-)

Eileenxxx

Offline blondegirl

• ARILLIAC
« Reply #10 on: January 17, 2008, 06:56:15 PM »
Eileen, I had a look... I think we could start our walk from opposite Napoleons and see where it goes and then come back down the cliff path.. it will be a different walk for us.  I shall look forward to that.

Offline Sandy x

• Sandy
  • ARILLIAC
  • Kouklospito
« Reply #11 on: January 17, 2008, 06:59:03 PM »
LOL Eileen....thought you meant because I'd be there! Always shenanigans if I'm around! But what's nebbing? Have I got to do that too?

I think we are talking two different shortcuts blondegirl. Haven't done Eileen's but can picture where she means, out of the village. I think you are referring to the very steep track right in the village past the shops and up alongside a hotel whose name escapes me. Joyce and I did it - hard work but it links up to the cliff walk.
Sandy x

Offline Eileen

• ARILLIAC
  • Linakis lemons!
« Reply #12 on: January 17, 2008, 07:00:51 PM »
Hi Sue,

I posted these photos last year, but here they are again...they will give you an idea of what the opening at the start of the track looks like....

This is the start of the track....

By arillas, shot with Canon PowerShot S3 IS at 2007-10-29

This is the building opposite the track...look for the wheelie bins!!!

By arillas, shot with Canon PowerShot S3 IS at 2007-10-29

Offline Eileen

• ARILLIAC
  • Linakis lemons!
« Reply #13 on: January 17, 2008, 07:16:36 PM »
LOL Eileen....thought you meant because I'd be there! Always shenanigans if I'm around! But what's nebbing? Have I got to do that too?

Sandy it sounds like we are up for a good laugh then!!!  You can neb if you want to...but I'm quite sure you do it all the time!!!  In other words having a skegs...a gander...a squizz...a look....especially if it's a 'fit' waiter!!!! ;-)

Eileenxx

riggers

« Reply #14 on: January 17, 2008, 07:43:25 PM »
We have done that Track many a time Eileen. There is lots of hens down there.Also leads to that barn where the goat is..

Booking.com