Author Topic: walking in may  (Read 79178 times)

Offline PaulnMaria

• Arillas regular visitor
  • Super Member {over 100 posts}
Re: walking in may
« Reply #45 on: June 08, 2008, 12:29:15 AM »
Charlietoosey
It would be great to hear how you found the walking around Arillas in May. We normally go to Arillas in September but were also there this May for 1 week. The weather was perfect for walking but the main aim of the holiday was to introduce my 71 year old mother to Arillas. We could have walked all over the place but this would have been too much for mum although she did manage San Stephanos and Afionas. Did you reach Angelokastro and beyond? 

riggers

« Reply #46 on: June 08, 2008, 12:36:20 AM »
Lovely walks PaulnMaria, I am very pleased for you that the Boxing went well. :)

riggers.

Offline blondegirl

• ARILLIAC
« Reply #47 on: June 08, 2008, 09:55:31 AM »
P & M... I was amazed to read your mum had walked to Afionas & San Stef.   How did she get on with the hill on the way to Afionas. The first time we did it nearly killed us!  It was so steep.  The 2nd time wasnt so bad as we knew what to expect. We cant wait to do it again this year as we want to sit at the top again (my profile photo) and soak in the views again.  You mum did very well to manage those walks.
If you want the rainbow, you gotta put up with the rain.

Offline PaulnMaria

« Reply #48 on: June 08, 2008, 10:49:59 AM »
Thanks riggers, it was a great night. If I'm honest, my scorecard had it closer than the judges but what do I know. He's due to defend the title in September..........when we're due to be in Arillas. Maria's gonna kill me !!!!!

BG
My mum was pretty chuffed with herself. We thought she might struggle with the track to Afionas but by taking it slowly she managed it well. We stopped off at the nightowl for a drink and a rest then plodded on to the sunset view point and Dionysis taverna for lunch. Mum loved the traditional houses and certainly felt it was worth all the effort.
Maria 
P.S. Yes Paul

Offline justlynn

• ARILLIAC
« Reply #49 on: June 08, 2008, 12:59:43 PM »
Hi Paul and Maria,

Having met you both, and your lovely mum, Maria, we too were surprised at her managing these walks.

Only hope we can do half as well when we reach her age.
lynn xx

ps good night at the Marina even if it did pour buckets!

Offline charlietoosey

« Reply #50 on: June 08, 2008, 01:40:45 PM »
PaulnM1aria
I have been asked for my opinion on this topic so don't jump down my throat if you don't agree.

This was easily the best rural walking I have done ( I include my partner in this with her wholehearted agreement).
The wildflowers we numerous and very pretty. The butterflies, a particular fav of mine, were plentiful and varied, and incl meadow brown, clouded yellow a small blue several swallow tails and more.
Most of the walks came from L Chilton book. If you don't have the book already you must buy it.
One of the best was from Arillas to Afionas. We ascended by one of the two roads and descended via the other one. It was a little challenging by virtue of the at times steep ascent but take your time you are on your hols.
We added the walk into St George beach on one day too but found it really hard at 5pm in direct hot sun to get back up that initial hill.
We loved the cliff path up to the St Steph ridge and the small chapel. One day we met David who was placing his wife's ashes in the chapel.. We had a long and emotional chat with him, good luck David, we are still thinking of you.
The walk to Kabadades via that off road route was excellent too for similar reasons to some of the others Also don't miss the rural approach to the  Analypsi church.
I think that's enough to be getting on with but remember in May some of the days are cool for walking and some become too hot.

Have great visit

C

Offline justphil

• ARILLIAC
  • Arillas is in my soul
« Reply #51 on: June 08, 2008, 01:46:31 PM »
That's great charlie. lovely descriptions of some of the amazing walks and sights you can have in and around what is Jen and my favourite place on earth. No throats ever intended in the past. glad to see you still here.

Phil

Offline blondegirl

• ARILLIAC
« Reply #52 on: June 08, 2008, 08:51:49 PM »
That was great to read Charlie.  Mike and I want to try Kavadades in our walks this year.  I agree that is a killer hill to Afionas!  We did start down the road to St. George but gave up as we thought it would take us out of our way and we really wanted to get to Afionas and Porto Timoni.  You never know we might make it - at our age we have to use our energy sparingly!

We have seen some lovely wildlife en route too and being with Mike and our friend Lynda means stopping many times and taking photos of it - dead or alive!  LOL
If you want the rainbow, you gotta put up with the rain.

Offline PaulnMaria

« Reply #53 on: June 08, 2008, 10:40:23 PM »

BG & Justlynn
Mum was so chuffed with herself for managing that hill climb to Afionas she insisted we took the above photo to show all the residents in the sheltered housing complex where she lives. We called in at the little church on our way to San Stephanos (Mum thought it was lovely) then a few minutes later we bumped into a couple who used to live round the corner from my mum several years ago. Small world!!  Lynn we really enjoyed your company and Colin's that night in the Marina. Good suroundings, great company, shame about the weather.

Charlietoosey
We're glad you enjoyed the walks and scenery. Lance Chilton's book is excellent isn't it. As I think we've mentioned previously we normally visit Arillas in September so it was lovely to see all the spring flowers and the fireflies this year. We have now found several different routes to St Georges bay but our favourite is still via Afionas.

Offline justphil

• ARILLIAC
  • Arillas is in my soul
« Reply #54 on: June 08, 2008, 11:19:19 PM »
Dear Paul or maria (whoever posts)

jen and me once had a mum each (who we both loved to bits) and we know they could have been in your picture. That's when they weren't drinking barley wine in the coconut of course....

Like Charlie said, the walks and ambience in and around Arillas are breathtaking and beautiful (maybe I said that but he meant it.)

just booked all of September so you know that I mean it.....

best wishes
phil

Offline PaulnMaria

« Reply #55 on: June 08, 2008, 11:38:04 PM »
Hi Phil
We tend to do most posts together but occassional one on our own. We'll be back in Arillas in September (sooner if we can get a half decent deal for July) so look forward to meeting you and Jen then.

Offline martin-w

• Forum Fanatic
  • Arillas, my second home!
« Reply #56 on: July 18, 2008, 04:03:56 AM »
Hi!
Well done Mum! I am almost 60 and had a bit of a struggle getting up that hill on the cliff. If you haven't seen it already have a look at my video 'My Arillas 2008' where you can see the the whole trip in slow motion! It brings back a lot of good memories, I even get overtaken by a farmer on his donkey! There is also a record of the walk to Agios Stefanos with the 'little chapel'. Click on 'videos' to access. I tried to get the impression of Arillas in spring, waking up to a new season.
Yammas,
Martin.

Offline Lindypops

• ARILLIAC
« Reply #57 on: July 20, 2008, 03:07:19 AM »
I agree Martin, well done that lady. Will have a look at videos. Thanks for that.
Lindypops.

Offline georgia

« Reply #58 on: October 21, 2008, 12:40:31 AM »
Well done to Paul and Marias mum [mother in law to one of them!] Loved, loved , loved the photo. I lost my lovely mum 9 years ago before we discovered lovely Arillas.
I think of her everyday, and when in Arillas think how much she would have loved it..she just loved the sunshine we shared lots of lovely hols in Italy and Spain back in the 70's and 80's. What used to make me laugh was the fact that she was always so pleased that she could peg out her 'handwashing' and it woyuld be dry in an hour..bless her! She also used to say she felt 20yrs younger in the sunshine as her arthritis stayed behind in England...used to laugh at that now gwtting to know how she felt! Treasure your mums all forum members fortunate enough to still have one..she may drive u to distraction on occassions..but always on your side no matter what! x

Booking.com