Author Topic: Arillas Vs Sidari  (Read 25934 times)

Offline Oikodomophobia

• Bronze medal {over 20 posts}
Arillas Vs Sidari
« on: January 28, 2008, 07:38:14 PM »
My family has been visiting Corfu since 1983, our first visit was to Roda. We returned two years later staying just outside of Sidari, since that time we have built our own house.

I only wish Sidari was still has it was all those years ago. Nobody seems to work together  in the village.

we never spend time at the beach in Sidari, we would rather tackle the roads through Magoulades, it is such a nicer place

Offline Eggy

• On the Spot reporter
  • ARILLIAC
Re: Arillas Vs Sidari
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2008, 11:00:35 PM »
That's one helluva login handle you have there and at 10:50 PM Corfu time I'm not even going to attempt at typing it.

And you're right in saying that Sidari has changed considerably from years ago.
But it has it's staunch supporters just like Arillas.
My older sister, mid 60's and husband love it there. Personnally I prefer it in the winter without the hustle and bustle.
Sidari and Arillas, so close together yet so different.

If you've built your house around the Magoulades area then, like us, you have the best of both worlds. ( But we mustn't forget St George, Roda, Acharavi etc eh? )
Cheers
Negg

Offline Lozicle

• Arillas Addict
  • That's me :)
    • http://www.myspace.com/lozicle
« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2008, 01:19:59 PM »
Oikodomophobia
"A fear of tradesmen and builders" . ???????????????????????????????????

Offline martin-w

• Arillas regular visitor
  • Forum Fanatic
  • Arillas, my second home!
« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2008, 02:18:17 PM »
Hi All!
I think Sidari has now got too commercial. It's o.k for a day out but Arrillas is more my 'cup of tea'.
Yammas,
Martin.

Offline blondegirl

• ARILLIAC
« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2008, 02:24:15 PM »
We only drove through Sidari once on the way back to the airport and we were so glad we went to Arillas..  once we saw the MacDonalds that did it for us!  Its seems ok if you have children and want lots of life.. Even San Stef wasnt really a place I wanted to stay either, its quiet and dead during the day but I think it could get quite lively at night. It does have a fantastic beach though doesnt it, we didnt know it had a small harbour, might look for that during our walk this year.  We usually make straight for the beach taverna for breakfast before the long walk back to Arillas! (sorry gone off thread a bit).
If you want the rainbow, you gotta put up with the rain.

Offline Sandy x

• Sandy
  • ARILLIAC
  • Kouklospito
« Reply #5 on: January 29, 2008, 02:30:53 PM »
The first time we went to Arillas the coach went via Sidari and we passed through there at about 5am. It was a heaving metropolis and my first thought was OMG I hope Arillas isn't like this.

Thankfully it isn't.
Sandy x

Offline sharonF

• ARILLIAC
« Reply #6 on: January 29, 2008, 02:54:56 PM »
First time to Corfu we stayed in Sidari, thankfully it didnt put us off Corfu and we eventually found Arillas.  There is just no comparison, I think Sidari is horrible.  It's just like blackpool except it has blue sea and not grey sea.

Offline Shuey

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #7 on: January 29, 2008, 03:05:14 PM »
We used to stay in Sidari but the canal d'amour end.  It used to be really quiet but driving through there last year it looks like its heading the same way as main Sidari.

Offline sharonF

• ARILLIAC
« Reply #8 on: January 29, 2008, 05:01:56 PM »
Oikodomophobia
"A fear of tradesmen and builders" . ???????????????????????????????????

Why?????

Offline justphil

• ARILLIAC
  • Arillas is in my soul
« Reply #9 on: January 29, 2008, 08:53:40 PM »
Jen and me are with Sharon - we hate Sidari with a passion. Suits some and we don't begrudge them but never go there!

phil

Offline Oikodomophobia

• Bronze medal {over 20 posts}
« Reply #10 on: January 31, 2008, 08:32:27 PM »
It is a bit tongue in Cheek as i am actually a builder, i read about it in a newspaper and could not believe that someone could actually be afraid of tradesmen!

but it seems it is a real Phobia, A lady in the article would get her husband to drive around her estate to check that there where no builders around before leaving the house.

I really cant wait to come back to Corfu in June, it is my friend Telis's 40th birthday (Yiannis Village) so it should be a good week, no kids!. they are coming with us in July.

Will be hanging around Arillas having a few beers in the Horizon!

Offline patrickjohn

• Lincolnshire Yellow Belly
  • ARILLIAC
  • PJM
« Reply #11 on: January 31, 2008, 11:46:56 PM »
Hi Jason
Hope you have a great time in June, and expect the kids will enjoy it in the school holidays.
Am very lucky to be going to Arillas in May so will make sure its ready for when you arrive.
Your handle is a bit like the one for people who are afraid of the number thirteen - its just that I can't quite remember it 'tri?????????ophobia'?
Best wishes
PJ

My book"A Policemance Tale" at Amazon
https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B0B8BD9MWM

Offline patrickjohn

• Lincolnshire Yellow Belly
  • ARILLIAC
  • PJM
« Reply #12 on: January 31, 2008, 11:51:37 PM »
Now I have it - looked it up in Wikipaedia:
Triscaidecafobia is the fear of the number 13. It is usually considered a superstition. A specific phobia to Friday 13 is called paraskavedekatriafobia or friggatriscaidecafobia.
Makes Jason's handle seem quite short really!
All the best
Pat

My book"A Policemance Tale" at Amazon
https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B0B8BD9MWM

Offline vivian

• Vivian
  • ARILLIAC
  • Stay Nude it ant Rude
    • http://www.holmvalley.com
« Reply #13 on: February 01, 2008, 07:12:09 AM »

A fear of number 13 well my Great Grandad owed his live to number 13.
He wanted to come back to London from Cape town on the Drummond Castle but they only had room 13 empty and didnt give it to anybody and certainly not a first class passenger. Anyway he told them it was a silly superstition

and insisted he was going to take it. There were 143 passengers and 103 crew.She struck a reef of rocks known as Pierres Vertes and went down within 4 minutes, 101 crew and 142 passengers lost there lives. Only 2 crew and 1 passenger were saved picked up by fisherman, and he was sure he wouldnt have survived if he hadnt been in room 13.
All of this because he wasn't a Triscaidecafobic. Viv

Stay Nude it ante rude

Offline Erja

• Beer Quality controler
  • ARILLIAC
  • Royal Ionian Gold...amber nectar, only better ;)
« Reply #14 on: February 01, 2008, 08:42:05 AM »
Friday the 13th has always been a lucky day for me ever since I was a kid and did not understand what the fuss was about Fridays and 13th :)
Life is good ;)

Booking.com