Author Topic: Arillas Vs Sidari  (Read 25953 times)

Offline vivian

• Vivian
  • Arillas regular visitor
  • ARILLIAC
  • Stay Nude it ant Rude
    • http://www.holmvalley.com
Re: Arillas Vs Sidari
« Reply #15 on: February 01, 2008, 09:45:25 AM »
When we first set eyes on Sidari we were so scared that it was Arillas as we seemed to have travelled for so long from the airport as we began to come out the other side again I began to wonder where on earth we were going and when I got that first glimse of the sea at the bottem of the main road I knew we were home. We have never been to Sidari for the day but I suppose we should give it a go in May just to say we have been there. Viv

Stay Nude it ante rude

Offline sharonF

• ARILLIAC
« Reply #16 on: February 01, 2008, 11:39:43 AM »
Oiko thanks for explaining that, aren't there some weird phobias.  I wanted to know because i work for a construction company. 

Viv, your story about your great grandad gave me goosebumps, and I wouldn't bother going to Sidari for the day, try a half hour!  Billy insists on driving through it, when we are in Corfu, I sit with my eyes shut saying get us out of here.  xx

Offline martin-w

• Forum Fanatic
  • Arillas, my second home!
« Reply #17 on: February 01, 2008, 01:34:45 PM »
Hi Viv!
I had a similar experience to you first time we were in Corfu and that was in May. After about two hours on the 'Thomson Flyer' stopping at every villa and towns small and large we arrived in Sidari. We were all told to get off. I thought oh no, there must be a mistake, this is nothing like the photos in the brochure! We ended up outside a burger/English food served all day joint in the main street. Our courier checked us off her list and directed us to a mini bus with our luggage. There were only four of us and as the mini bus moved off and away from the town we all sighed with relief. The next stop was Ag. Stef and then Arillas. I will never forget the first sight of the place as we came down the hill towards the beach, it was everything we had imagined, we were 'home'. Wouldn't venture back to Sidari personally.
Yammas,
Martin. 

Offline chorltonfiona

• Bronze medal {over 20 posts}
    • TickerFactory
« Reply #18 on: February 01, 2008, 05:05:03 PM »
Yes I agree Sidari is ok for a day out, I have kids (well 10 and 13) so I have taken them to the water park and looked round the shops.  My first holiday in Corfu was in Sidari but at the Canal d'Amour end and was quite ok, but when we went over to Arillas for a day out, we fell in love with it instead!  Have been back a few times since and going again this summer.... can't wait!

Offline SteveL

• Super Member {over 100 posts}
« Reply #19 on: February 01, 2008, 05:31:50 PM »
When we were in Arillas in 2006 both our kids and their partners came with us.  One evening they got a taxi to Sidari so we didn't expect them back until the small hours of the morning.  About 10-o-clock they came back to the Rainbow having stayed in Sidari just long enough to have something to eat.
They're all in their twenties but apparently they hated Sidari and couldn't wait to get back to Arillas!!

Steve

Offline Eggy

• On the Spot reporter
  • ARILLIAC
« Reply #20 on: February 02, 2008, 06:59:30 PM »
Tread with care on this topic folks !

Anyone wanting a Sidari holiday will be coming to Arillas instead.
Before you know it Arillas will be sooo busy with sooo many people and not enough appts to cope.
And then...... Extra appts being built.

How long then before Sidari becomes Arillas and vice-versa?

Sidari should be seen in the summer when if you like the hustle and bustle and have 12  hour yearnings for english food.
It should be seen at the end of the season and in the winter to be appreciated.

And they have quite a few places open in the winter.
Do you know there's an English place that has "English Fish n Chips" in proper batter?
( And mushy peas )
Haven't been there yet but just the thing when you have those withdrawall symptons.
10 months without fish and chips has been too long !
( Very good and reasonably priced it is too ! - As recommended by "eaters there")

And a small darts league in the pubs, and southern fried chicken.
And. dare I say "A Macdonalds" - Summer only though.

Do I cancel Night Owl tonight and go to Sidari ?

Answers on a postcard please.
Negg

Offline Sandy x

• Sandy
  • ARILLIAC
  • Kouklospito
« Reply #21 on: February 02, 2008, 08:00:36 PM »
NO!
Sandy x

Offline justphil

• ARILLIAC
  • Arillas is in my soul
« Reply #22 on: February 02, 2008, 08:17:37 PM »
Amplifying Sandy NO!

lol phil (and jen)

riggers

« Reply #23 on: February 02, 2008, 09:11:33 PM »
Definately NO NO NO

Offline martin-w

• Forum Fanatic
  • Arillas, my second home!
« Reply #24 on: February 03, 2008, 12:03:21 AM »
Eggy,
You have just summed up every reason NOT to go to Sidari, the Greek BLACKPOOL TRANSPLANT!
It strikes me that no matter where you go in Europe be it Spain, Greece or wherever, you will always get a resort like Sidari which suits those 'brits' who 'don't like foreign food' and sit with a knotted hankie on their heads with their trousers rolled up. There is the other extreme for the younger generation Kavos, if you pardon the word on this website. To each his own I suppose. Keep Arillas as it is!
Yammas,
Martin

Offline blondegirl

• ARILLIAC
« Reply #25 on: February 03, 2008, 12:14:49 AM »
I think like you said it might be a tad better at the end of the season.  Years ago my daughter and I went on a weeks holiday together to Magaluf..  We had heard horrible rumours about being almost British...  usual touristy stuff etc.  But we went in November and the weather was nice and warm, none of the usual attractions were open so it was fairly quiet, so we felt quite safe going out.  The hotel was nice and full of "older people" so all in all we had a nice week but I would not go in the summer no way!  Its like Brighton with the good weather and we live only 25 miles from there and dont want to go somewhere like that for our holiday.
If you want the rainbow, you gotta put up with the rain.

Offline Lindypops

• ARILLIAC
« Reply #26 on: February 03, 2008, 03:38:25 AM »
Sidari, well it`s ok if you like a quick mooch about. Don`t know if I could do a week or two there, but then you could always "escape". It`s one of those, like it or not , it`s one of those places.  There was a nice little place to buy cloths etc, but he seems to have gone. Leave other half @ a small tobacconist a  little while you`ll find something.
Lindypops.

Offline kevin.g

• ARILLIAC
  • Kevin and julie
« Reply #27 on: February 03, 2008, 07:02:44 PM »
hmm  sidari or arillas,,simple answer no contest arillas all the time.....yammas

Offline Oikodomophobia

• Bronze medal {over 20 posts}
« Reply #28 on: February 12, 2008, 06:07:56 PM »
I suppose i cant knock Sidari too much it is my local village. even if it is a good 2km walk

Offline pg32

• Super Member {over 100 posts}
« Reply #29 on: February 12, 2008, 06:35:03 PM »
I went to Ipsos when i was 18 and absolutely loved it and that was like Blackpool but abroad!! One long road full of pubs and clubs etc but would hate to go somewhere like that now. Sidari is for the younger holidaymaker that wants that sort of thing so let them have it! When we were in Arillas in September we hired some bikes and went out for the day and we stopped in Sidari for lunch and all of us said we would not like to stay there. If i was 18 again i might enjoy Sidari but would now so much more enjoy a nice relaxing time in Arillas!!

Booking.com