Author Topic: Greek Lessons  (Read 10117 times)

Offline Ivan

• Arillas regular visitor
  • Arillas Addict
Greek Lessons
« on: October 24, 2004, 12:29:58 PM »
Did anyone go for Greek Lessons while in Arillas? I had all sorts of good intentions but wasted time and didn't get to meet Christine until two or three days before we went home. I'd be interested to here of anyone's experiences in trying to learn. I'm back to my Linguaphone type course and struggling,
                                    Ivan

Online vivian

• Vivian
  • ARILLIAC
  • Stay Nude it ant Rude
    • http://www.holmvalley.com
Greek Lessons
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2004, 03:35:25 PM »
I have just bought a disc called Linkword Languages Greek (level 1) don't know how many level's there are or how basic they are, as yet will let you know when ive had a good look and listen to it, next week sometime. Found it on the web. Love Viv

Stay Nude it ante rude

Online vivian

• Vivian
  • ARILLIAC
  • Stay Nude it ant Rude
    • http://www.holmvalley.com
Greek Lessons
« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2004, 04:22:00 PM »
Hi Ivan, well it is getting through, and the word association seem's to be working better for me then any other, but the disc itself seem's to have a lot of thing's that you don't need all the time and believe it or not things like please and thank you are not on it. It's like the hyenna and the goose that i was telling Dirmitris about when we were having that little lesson at Broklis in October :?

Stay Nude it ante rude

Offline Ivan

• Arillas Addict
Greek Lessons
« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2004, 10:12:31 PM »
:lol: Viv,
             I have been using a course called the Pimsleur Method which is based on recall. It is pretty intense but seems to be working, I have ordered the advanced course and will let you know how I get on with it
                                              Ivan

Offline katrin

Greek lessons
« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2004, 06:16:03 PM »
I have been studying greek on-line on www.blackboard.com
Its good but sometimes the audio lessons don't work. :cry:
You can print the lessons and go over by yourself. :shock:
Kathy
Katrin

Offline katrin

Learn Greek
« Reply #5 on: November 21, 2004, 06:21:43 PM »
Sorry I made a mistake about the web-site I use: its now:
http://didymos.kypros.org/LearnGreek/
 :oops:
Katrin

Offline Eggy

• On the Spot reporter
  • ARILLIAC
Greek Lessons
« Reply #6 on: November 21, 2004, 08:21:21 PM »
Katrin
Well done for this info.  I have already been in there and used the dictionary function. The site looks very good.  Thanks again.

Offline harold

• Forum Fanatic
Greek Lessons
« Reply #7 on: November 23, 2004, 06:01:04 PM »
Dimitris once told me that if you could learn one greek word a day then you would have enough to hold a conversation.I thought this was god and sound advice,not that i have learnt that much Greek
Harold,
Theres only one Altrincham FC

Offline Samantha

• Super Member {over 100 posts}
Greek Lessons
« Reply #8 on: December 04, 2004, 02:33:18 AM »
Hi everyone! (feeling a little guilty as havent posted for ages  :oops: )

I think its great how we are all trying to learn Greek. I'm a little behind in my greek lessons as day to day life has got in the way. I was using a cd rom for colours etc for a while which was helpfull but as I have been reminded often Greek is said diffently depending where in greece you are, and often the English courses we use are cypriot. I'm going to have to sweetalk my stepmum into start teaching me more again as she lived near St George for ten years so knows it fluently.(lucky her- sigh)Isnt it great when you hear your frinds talk though and you start picking up words you know?!  :D
Samantha McCoo  :-)

Offline Eggy

• On the Spot reporter
  • ARILLIAC
Greek Lessons
« Reply #9 on: December 23, 2004, 03:54:46 PM »
Ivan
Scanning the forum, the other day, I noticed a message from you about a Greek keyboard. ( I cannot remember what subject it was under) You might find the following interesting, then again you might be aware of it. Under Microsoft Word, Excel and E-Mail you know that you can change the "Print Type" from "Arial" to "Times New Roman", "Italic" etc. If you change to "Symbol" it will convert your keyboard to Greek. For example for the greek letter "gamma" you would use the G key and for "Omega" you would use the W key. "Alfa" is the obvious A key, "Beta" is the B key. It took me about 30 mins to create an "Idiot guide hard copy" of what keys produced what greek letters. - Hope this makes sense. I have been using this for sometime now and find it good practice , not only learning Greek words but also how they are written, the way the verb changes etc. Occasionaly I send Dimitris a Greek E-mail which I know he finds amusing as there are quite often spelling mistakes, but that's how we learn, don't we? - Hope this is of use.
Neill (Eggy)

Offline Ivan

• Arillas Addict
Greek Lessons
« Reply #10 on: December 24, 2004, 06:09:37 PM »
8) Thanks Eggy,
                       I had worked it out for Word but not the others. PC is just back from being (badly) repaired so i feel a few greek e-mails coming on!
                                                Ivan

Offline Eggy

• On the Spot reporter
  • ARILLIAC
Pimsleur
« Reply #11 on: February 14, 2005, 07:37:53 PM »
Ivan
How's you "Pimsleur" coming along? I got hold of tapes 17 - 30 from the Local Library. You are right, it is a bit repetitive. It seems to be doing the job though. I know a bit of Greek so decided to eliminate the first course but on reflection might go back them as a refresher. I struggle a bit with the masculine and feminine and some verbs.
Neggy

Offline Ivan

• Arillas Addict
Greek Lessons
« Reply #12 on: February 14, 2005, 11:24:50 PM »
:lol: Hi Neggy,
                   I've struggled through to lesson 20 so I am making (slow) progress. Pimsleur suits me because I can put it on my walkman at work and mutter away to myself!
                                         Ivan

Offline Eggy

• On the Spot reporter
  • ARILLIAC
Pimsleur
« Reply #13 on: February 15, 2005, 03:21:22 PM »
Ivan
I am half way though lesson 20 but it is difficult for me to concentrate on it during work. So it will take time. However, separate tables now, for me and Wendy at the Brouklis, because I can now say " My wife is over there" and we'll also save money because I can now say " My wife will drink water" ( I already know "My wife is paying the bill")
Neggy

Offline Stuart

• Super Member {over 100 posts}
Greek Lessons
« Reply #14 on: February 15, 2005, 09:02:52 PM »
Eggy

I don't know whether you are incredibly brave or just plain crazy to try something like that.    :?  

Mind you, if you do say that, it might also be a good idea to make sure you know how to say, "But darling, it was only a joke!"   :D  :D  :D

Good Luck

Stuart
Stuart
Na Pate Kala

Booking.com