Author Topic: Has anyone walked to Porto Timoni and Agios Styianos Cave?  (Read 27477 times)

Offline martin-w

• Arillas regular visitor
  • Forum Fanatic
  • Arillas, my second home!
Has anyone walked to Porto Timoni and Agios Styianos Cave?
« on: February 10, 2008, 02:49:46 AM »
Hi all!
Have had my walking map out today to see if there are any reasonable walks I can do in May that I haven't done on previous visits. My map shows at Afionas, a track of about 1km leading down to a causeway between two beaches at Limni, which then goes to a rock 'arch', Agios Stylianos Cave and Porto Timoni, which looks like a natural harbour.Seems like a good place for photographs!
I think we have all been to the famous 'viewpoint' at Iliovasilema,  near Afionas, and like me, sat and enjoyed a meal in the nearby taverna overlooking Agios Georgios but I've never ventured further than this point! 
The ridge path from Arillas that comes out near the cemetry on the Afionas road is quite a strenuous climb, just wondering what the path down to Porto Timoni is like. It looks as if it goes very near the top of a large cliff.
 I know there is an alternative way back to Arillas from Afionas via the road that comes out near to where the 'heritage trail' or the next turning along near the 'wood factory', which comes out a bit further up that road.
Yammas,
Martin.

Offline Diane x

• Golden Medal {over 60 posts}
Re: Has anyone walked to Porto Timoni and Agios Styianos Cave?
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2008, 11:52:43 AM »
I am sure that Lynne and Colin walked to Porto Timoni, they are regulars on here so I am sure you will get a reply sometime soon !

Diane x

Offline blondegirl

• ARILLIAC
« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2008, 02:45:53 PM »
If you do a search of Porto Timoni on here there is some information of this walk
If you want the rainbow, you gotta put up with the rain.

Offline iluvsangeorge

• Super Member {over 100 posts}
    • About Agios Georgios
« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2008, 04:24:47 PM »
Martin

If you go to www.agiosgeorgios.co.uk/timoni.htm you will find 2 pages with a  description and photos of the walk from Afionas to Porto Timoni.

At one point the path does go quite close to the top of the cliffs but there is a low bank between you and edge so you are not likely to fall over the edge. The main danger is from slipping or stumbling on the rough loose surface of the narrow footpath and spraining an ankle or wrist. The path is very steep for short stretches in places but if care is taken you should do it with no problems. For these reasons I do not recommend sandal type footwear for this walk !

The section leading up to the little chapel in the cave has one slightly dodgy spot where there has been a collapse in the path.

Offline martin-w

• Forum Fanatic
  • Arillas, my second home!
« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2008, 04:19:42 AM »
Thank you everyone!
Quite a lot of information to get my teeth into. Looks quite an exciting project, but not for a lone walker. I'll have to find some willing fellow walkers to accompany me!
<www.agiosgeorgios.co.uk/timoni.htm> was a very interesting site with lots of photos and loads of other walks. Porto Timoni Cafe photos made me feel hungry and brought back many happy memories of Kosta's wife's tuna salad and mezes washed down by an iced beer or three! Also Spiros and all at Dionysos Restrant and the ice cold beer straight from the barrel whilst enjoying th panorama views.
Lots of info on villages such as Pagi.
Yammas,
Martin. 

Offline Baldy Barry

• Forum Fanatic
    • myspace.com
« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2008, 10:51:37 AM »
Porto Timoni by boat is a great day out Martin.

Hope I don't burn !

Offline vivian

• Vivian
  • ARILLIAC
  • Stay Nude it ant Rude
    • http://www.holmvalley.com
« Reply #6 on: February 12, 2008, 11:05:13 AM »
You can see the path in the background of this one, I hope. Viv

Stay Nude it ante rude

Offline Eileen

• ARILLIAC
  • Linakis lemons!
    • http://www.villalinakis.com
« Reply #7 on: February 12, 2008, 11:06:02 AM »
Hi Martin,

Every Friday Lemonhouse Walks offer guided walks to Porto Timoni from Arillas returning by motor boat.

Here is their website, it might be a good idea to contact them to confirm they are still operating.
http://www.lemonhouse.com/

Eileenxx

Offline iluvsangeorge

• About Agios Georgios
« Reply #8 on: February 12, 2008, 11:23:14 AM »
Martin

It is no problem for a lone walker as long as you take normal care. I always go alone, usually in the early morning so I can have the peace of the place to myself. Mind you I have done many sole hill-walks in Wales so am reasonably confident being on my own.

There is a regular dribble of walkers going there so if you are really unsure you could pop into Dionysos  taverna for a drink and when you see some walkers going past (you can see them from the terrace) just nip down the bank by the entrance and follow them !! Let's face it, it is the difficult access which keeps Timoni like it is.

Barry, don't those awful white plastic chairs get everywhere !

Dennis

Offline pg32

« Reply #9 on: February 12, 2008, 11:54:15 AM »
Hi all

what is the best way to get to Afiones and Dionysos from Arillas. We went out on some bikes last September but didnt come across Afiones or Dionysos!!?

Thanks

Paul

Offline ger

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #10 on: February 12, 2008, 12:28:44 PM »
porto timoni looks beautiful! is there anywhere we could hire a boat and go round from arillas? if i can drag myself away from the beach that is!
ger x

Offline blondegirl

• ARILLIAC
« Reply #11 on: February 12, 2008, 01:44:10 PM »
We did the walk to Afiones last year and was very pleased with ourselves.  Behind the Bardis Sun Hotel, before the heritage walk sign there is a road that leads up there.  It is a bit of a climb in some places but take it slow and look at the views on the way, its well worth the walk, goes past the well known Night Owl Tavern too.  No doubt we shall attempt to do it this year again, I wouldnt mind walking down to St. George bay as well, we got half way down but thought it might take us ages to walk back so carried on to Afiones which is where we really wanted to go.  I dont think we will attempt the Porto timoni walk... Mike has a bit of "labyrinthitis", (form of vertigo) so I dont think those narrow paths are a good idea. :-(
If you want the rainbow, you gotta put up with the rain.

Offline Baldy Barry

• Forum Fanatic
    • myspace.com
« Reply #12 on: February 12, 2008, 02:32:40 PM »
I think the chair might have been Eggy's !
Ger. We hired the boat on Arillas front 2 year's ago.
Sadly last year the boat hire had gone.
But one of the son's in the Akti organised a boat for us from San Stephanos
but how annoying it was too windy to go out.
If you ask around in Arillas I'm sure you would get boat hire sorted out as the local's are brilliant.
Hope I don't burn !

Booking.com