Author Topic: Olive tree  (Read 18356 times)

Offline Sandy x

• Sandy
  • Arillas regular visitor
  • ARILLIAC
  • Kouklospito
Re: Olive tree
« Reply #15 on: February 23, 2008, 08:20:03 PM »
Yummy....thanks Eileen. I'm in Birmingham with Michelle and the bar's just opening....yammas!
Sandy x

Offline blondegirl

• ARILLIAC
« Reply #16 on: February 23, 2008, 08:53:47 PM »
That Retsina is looking pretty good with the olives too.... just need some nice weather, sounds of the sea and the atmopshere of Arillas.
If you want the rainbow, you gotta put up with the rain.

Offline wayne

• arillas trip 6
  • Super Member {over 100 posts}
« Reply #17 on: March 01, 2008, 02:23:07 AM »
i have an olive tree and a bay leaf tree i just put them in the garden,soil and a bit of compost and they both been growing happily for 3 years now.my bay tree is almost 6ft high now,looks like plenty of spag bol and pilou rice this year

Offline Lindypops

• ARILLIAC
« Reply #18 on: March 01, 2008, 06:26:03 PM »
Nice picture Eileen, now I`m peckish again!
Lindypops.

Offline holliepos

• Bronze medal {over 20 posts}
« Reply #19 on: March 08, 2008, 03:22:09 PM »
I was in the local garden centre recently and noticed that the olive trees they were selling stated that the olives weren't edible. It didn't say why, but just be careful in case they are poisonous!

Offline Oikodomophobia

• Bronze medal {over 20 posts}
« Reply #20 on: March 11, 2008, 10:47:54 PM »
Hi Martin

If you are going to plant the Brown Fig in your Garden enclose it in a large plastic pot or a barrel with holes cut in the bottom.

Brown fig roots can cause a lot of damage to drainage, they will actually choke underground drainage to get to the liquid inside during dry spells.

Subsidence is a specialty of mine...

Offline martin-w

• Forum Fanatic
  • Arillas, my second home!
« Reply #21 on: March 12, 2008, 03:47:44 AM »
Hi Oikodomophobia!
Thanks for the warning. The tree is doing extremely well in the 2X2X2ft. planter and I have seen warnings about rampant growth on gardening programs where they suggest chucking in bricks and paving slabs to limit root growth. I have selected a spot next to the boundary wall and near the foundations of an old greenhouse so that should cramp it's style for a while!
Yammas,
Martin. 

Offline vivian

• Vivian
  • ARILLIAC
  • Stay Nude it ant Rude
    • http://www.holmvalley.com
« Reply #22 on: April 29, 2008, 10:34:35 AM »
Hi, Just wondering how everybodys olive tree's are doing now the winter's over?. Viv

Stay Nude it ante rude

Offline TerryW

• ARILLIAC
« Reply #23 on: April 29, 2008, 11:39:05 AM »
Hi Viv,

I think the forum must create some form of telepathy , because we took our  olive tree out of the conservatory on Sunday,and put it back in the garden. As we were doing it Helen and I were talking about other members olive trees and wondering how they had survived the winter. Ours had lost a few leaves but looked reasonably OK. I am interested to see if the trees that were left outside for the winter have survived OK.

BTW ( Telepathy, from the Greek τελε, tele meaning "distant" and πάθεια, patheia meaning "to be affected by")

I was looking at the tree this morning and thought that it looked a bit lonely, so I think another olive tree will have to be bought to keep it company. We can then buy additional lemons from Perdita (San Stef) to put on it. Maybe a little Olive Grove could evolve and that could be fun, eh Eileen? I love my little Greek corner.

The garden centres  seem to have increased their stocks of  olive trees over the last few years, so they must be becoming more popular.  Some of the very large ones are about £1000. I wonder who buys those?

Offline martin-w

• Forum Fanatic
  • Arillas, my second home!
« Reply #24 on: April 29, 2008, 01:16:07 PM »
Hi All!
My olive tree seems to be doing fine. It's in a large 'patio pot' and has been out in the garden in a fairly sheltered position all through the winter. Mine is a 'hardy' Mediterranean variety, it's still relatively young and hasn't fruited yet.
Martin.

Offline Mango

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #25 on: April 29, 2008, 03:48:13 PM »
Hi Terry

Our olive tree is doing fine.  We never took it in this year, it has survived all through the winter, they are kind of hardy plants.

Amanda

Offline vivian

• Vivian
  • ARILLIAC
  • Stay Nude it ant Rude
    • http://www.holmvalley.com
« Reply #26 on: April 29, 2008, 04:07:06 PM »
Terry, How wierd we put ours out Sunday and thinking of buying another. Have read on one site that they are ok down to -5 but can be risky lower then that. Viv

Stay Nude it ante rude

Marymary

« Reply #27 on: April 29, 2008, 07:09:49 PM »
Hi All
Great posts regarding olive trees I've been humminng and haring on weather to buy an olive tree but didn't think it would do well in County Durham, but they do appear to be hardy trees so now I'm going to buy one, I'd love the idea of eating my own olives, but even if it doesn't get to that stage , I'd have a little reminder of Arillas in my garden.

Happy growing
Mary

Maggie

« Reply #28 on: April 29, 2008, 09:50:59 PM »
My olive tree has been outside, unprotected all winter. It's not in a sheltered position, but it's fine. it still looks very healthy, so please don't think that they need pampering.
 If olive trees survive in scotlands winters, then I'm sure they'll do fine anywhere.

Offline M n M

• Arillas Addict
« Reply #29 on: April 29, 2008, 11:40:04 PM »
We bought ours at the end of last year so it's been inside the unheated conservatory, but regardless of what Mary says it is going outside tomorrow, if she thumps me Maggie it's your fault. Lol. It's got a lot of young green shoots. Mick.

Booking.com