Author Topic: Olive tree  (Read 18377 times)

Offline dwg69

Re: Olive tree
« Reply #30 on: April 30, 2008, 08:36:59 AM »
Help, Iv'e just purchased an olive tree from Aldi but part of the instructions that come with it state that it needs dunging, I know what that means but it says that it needs it with 'dung 20/10/10 with microelement' now that I don't understand.
Any brainbox gardeners out there? please, ta very much, Mick.
PS. Not many left.

Just found your message

the 20/10/10 in the instructions are the numbers on a bag of fertilizer :-

All fertilizers have three numbers on the label which indicate the fertilizer analysis, or "percentage by weight" of nitrogen, phosphorus and potassium, in that order.

Therefore, a 50 pound bag of fertilizer labeled 20-10-5 would contain 20% nitrogen (10 pounds), 10% available phosphates (5 pounds), and 5% soluble potash (2.5 pounds).
See the calculations below:

50 pound bag of 20-10-5 fertilizer:
  20% nitrogen (.20 x 50 lbs = 10 lbs)
  10% available phosphates (.10 x 50 lbs = 5 lbs)
    5% water soluble potash (.05 x 50 lbs = 2.5 lbs)

Furthermore, this product would be considered a "complete" fertilizer, since all three nutrients are present

I hope this helps

Derek

Poise is the art of raising the eyebrow instead of the roof

Offline TerryW

• Arillas regular visitor
  • ARILLIAC
« Reply #31 on: April 30, 2008, 11:40:18 AM »
This forum is a source of loads of information. I'm glad Mick asked the question about the   "dunging" and I'm glad that Derek could give the detailed answer.

Thanks Mick and Derek, very useful information.

Offline dwg69

« Reply #32 on: April 30, 2008, 12:16:03 PM »
This forum is a source of loads of information. I'm glad Mick asked the question about the   "dunging" and I'm glad that Derek could give the detailed answer.

Thanks Mick and Derek, very useful information.

It's also called the N.P.K.

Poise is the art of raising the eyebrow instead of the roof

Offline M n M

• Arillas Addict
« Reply #33 on: April 30, 2008, 10:13:55 PM »
Derek, thanks now I know, but, I think the N & P stand for the first 2 chemicals but does the kicking K stand for the chemical sign for potassium?:-). Please remember I left my brain back at work when I had to retire 2 and a half years ago and now try to get away with one syllable words if I can.
Cheers, Mick.
PS. Retirement is everything that it is made out to be, I have so much more time now to annoy Mary instead of 5 minutes a day.;-)

Offline justphil

• ARILLIAC
  • Arillas is in my soul
« Reply #34 on: April 30, 2008, 11:29:29 PM »
Hi Mick

N & P do stand for the chemicals (elements nitrogen and phosphorus) and K is indeed the symbol for potassium (Kalium in Greek.)

Knew that degree in Chemistry would come in useful one day lol. It hasn't done much else for me....

Phil

Offline M n M

• Arillas Addict
« Reply #35 on: April 30, 2008, 11:38:25 PM »
Phil, ta very much, they only tried to teach us english, maths and religion at school, but without much luck. I just knew reading them Sherlock Holmes books would come in handy one day :-), by the way it has been said that I am a cheeky so n so, or something stronger. Mick.

Booking.com