Author Topic: House or land hunting around Arillas  (Read 11632 times)

Anonymous

House or land hunting around Arillas
« on: October 29, 2004, 10:43:01 PM »
hi, house hunting round Arillas can get quite tiring, but could be very rewarding as well.
  Watch out for all the little legal stuff that can get in the way though.
   I think it will be easier to buy a house or apartment and do it up than buy land because of all the rules and regs that go with it.

Any 1 wanting some info get in touch...

:shock:

Anonymous

« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2004, 10:44:08 PM »
sorry that was me above.

Malky

Offline Eileen

• Arillas regular visitor
  • ARILLIAC
  • Linakis lemons!
    • http://www.villalinakis.com
« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2004, 11:33:52 PM »
I agree with you about watching out for the legal stuff and for anyone contemplating purchasing property, providing you research and then research some more then you will be well armed to ask all the right questions from all the right people.  

Go around all the Estate Agents asking questions, the advice they will give you is invaluable,  also, it particularly helps to use one that lives in and knows the area of your choice really well AND remember to check out your agents credentials as well.  A good agent will not resent this and it confirms that your intentions are serious.

A good Agent will know all the rules and regulations regarding purchasing land and the subsequent building on it,  a local agent should also have better knowledge of planning zones in his area.  If you do choose an agent local to your area problems can often be resolved quicker because of the local contacts they have.

Renovating has it's problems too, as more often than not the costs escalate over budget, but then it would be unrealistic to expect otherwise.  

I think both options are exciting and like everything worth achieving in life there will be highs and lows.....I can't wait to sit on my terrace with my glass of wine in hand.  Bliss... :D

Offline Paul/Deb5

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2004, 11:32:14 PM »
Hi Eileen & Malky

I Had to get in on this one as this is what we are doing with my brother in law, and i agree with Eileen , make lots of enquiries don't be talked into something the agents want to sell !! after a couple of years at looking at all avenues we found that buying land & building is best.
 And have a good Lawyer .because we have already had one bit of land checked out and we were advised not to proceed, good advice, we are now having another piece looked at.
Eileen ,will keep you informed,speak soon.

Paul/Deb5

eggy2

House or Land Hunting
« Reply #4 on: October 31, 2004, 01:30:56 PM »
All good points raised here. It took us 3 years of serious searching before we found a nice plot in Kavvadades, about 6 minutes drive to Arillas. The hardest part for us was the Tax Office in Corfu Town. It took us us 2.5 hours to get tax numbers, the application form was obviously in Greek and if it wasn't for the help of Dimitris who was with us at the time then - Who Knows? Well done Brouklis, did we ever say thanks? We bought through Corfu Estate Agents in Acharavi, and had a good solicitor in  Corfu Town. One point to remember when buying anywhere is to allow approx 15% for legal costs and get a  "Pink Slip" from your Corfu Bank to prove that money for the purchase has come from abroad or you could fax up to 40% tax.

Offline Eileen

• ARILLIAC
  • Linakis lemons!
House or land hunting in Arillas.
« Reply #5 on: October 31, 2004, 09:05:55 PM »
Hi Eggy 2,

Glad to hear you found a nice plot up in Kavadades  :D .

I'm sure I bought a bottle of wine earlier this year which was
produced in Kavadades, if so, then you won't have far to go for your 'carry-out'.  Yummy  :D .

Eileen.

Offline harold

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #6 on: November 01, 2004, 09:39:28 AM »
Hello,
I read all this with great interest.Sally and i are planning to spend our winters in Corfu(Eileen does know this already as we have discussed it with her)The CPA site does quiet a good guide to buying in Greece and you can print it off.We are looking for something that is ready built not land and would love the Area around Arillas,This is a long term plan we are looking at about 3 to 4 years time fingers crossed.
Harold,
Theres only one Altrincham FC

Offline Eileen

• ARILLIAC
  • Linakis lemons!
House or land hunting in Arillas.
« Reply #7 on: November 01, 2004, 10:54:48 AM »
Hello Harold,

It's great and exciting to hear that you and Sally have resumed your search. :D

I will pm you with details of another contact in Arillas.

Happy hunting.

Eileenx

Offline vivian

• Vivian
  • ARILLIAC
  • Stay Nude it ant Rude
    • http://www.holmvalley.com
« Reply #8 on: November 01, 2004, 11:04:00 AM »
Hi Harold, lovely, to think it was only the beginning of October, Sally was telling me it all seemed like "pie in the sky" at the moment. Im so pleased you have decided that your going to have a bite after all. Love Viv & Pete. See you in May.

Stay Nude it ante rude

Offline harold

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #9 on: November 01, 2004, 07:31:12 PM »
Thank you Eileen,i have saved that information and will keep it for the future.Viv Sally always says things are pie in the sky,but i know how to weedle my way around her.As i say it will not be for a few years yet though,but no harm in looking
Harold,

Offline carol

• Arillas Addict
« Reply #10 on: November 01, 2004, 09:11:38 PM »
Thats really exciting Harold,your very young to be retiring :wink: we have no chance of doing anything so adventourous,the kids are still quite young and they spend all our money.Good luck with your search,time goes so quickly,you,ll soon have your own place.cx
Im going to become to nanna for the first time in February cx

Offline harold

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #11 on: November 03, 2004, 08:09:59 AM »
Hello Carol,
thank you for saying i am very young,i am 52 :) so not that young,We would have bought 2 years ago if i had got as much a pay off as the union lead me to believe.I finished working under ill health (i need a replacement knee)(to much marathon running) :) .but i know have a very good job in the same industry,but i had to wait 13 months to get it.The trouble is the house come up at the wrong time i check cpa every week and corfu real estate as well.We were also told of a 2 bedroom new house with a garden in Arillas for about £80000 but at the time we do not have that sort of money.I think it's one of the 2 houses being built on the corner as you drop down towards Arillas
Harold,

Offline Eileen

• ARILLIAC
  • Linakis lemons!
« Reply #12 on: November 03, 2004, 05:06:18 PM »
Hi' Harold,

I know the two houses you are talking about. :)

I always have a look at them to see how they are coming along.  Is the owner waiting until a purchaser is found before finishing them off, as progress seems to be slow, then again perhaps they are only working on them in the winter months.

I have always wondered how much one of them would cost to buy, now I know, thanks for satisfying my curiosity! :D

Eileenx

P.S you could always get a Greek Mortgage at 3.5%, if I remember rightly its 25% deposit. :roll:

Offline harold

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #13 on: November 03, 2004, 05:28:20 PM »
hello Eileen,thanks for that info about the mortgage,but having got rid of one we dont want to get another.
Harold,

Offline Eileen

• ARILLIAC
  • Linakis lemons!
« Reply #14 on: November 03, 2004, 05:43:07 PM »
but having got rid of one we dont want to get another.

Lucky you, if you ever want another one you can take over mine for the next 9 years!! :D  :D  :D

Eileenx

Booking.com