Author Topic: Mozzies in May!  (Read 6493 times)

Offline BeckyB

• Arillas Addict
Mozzies in May!
« on: March 06, 2008, 04:24:25 PM »

I wonder if anyone might have any suggestions regarding Mosquito bites & whether they are more prevalent at different times of the year?
Christian & I are coming over in May - this is the first time we've ever been in Springtime but he's a little concerned about being attacked!

It's true, they absolutely adore him & despite lotions & potions, he really suffered last September - although Stammatis, owner of the Akti Arilla Hotel came to his rescue & showed him by dousing them in vinegar (the bites, not the Mozzies!)  it really takes the sting out of them - it definately worked but not always practical!!

Coming from Scotland & knowing how fiendish the little beasts are, I also know that they get more excitable up there at certain times of the year & wondered if this was the case in Corfu?

Any thoughts/suggestions on this would be really helpful!

Becky B.

Offline holliepos

• Bronze medal {over 20 posts}
Re: Mozzies in May!
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2008, 04:52:41 PM »
Beckyb,

See posts under 'Arillas general information',"Mosquito Nets" . Lots of opinions on what's best.

Angie

Offline BeckyB

• Arillas Addict
« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2008, 04:57:40 PM »

Thank you. I guess I should have checked there first.
I'll take a look!
Cheers!

Offline Eggy

• On the Spot reporter
  • ARILLIAC
« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2008, 07:03:42 PM »
Ah Becky
You know those news clips you see on TV with people queued up outside Harrods, in London the night before, waiting for the store to open?

Well, substitute mozzies for people who are queued up all over the place waiting for the "stores" to open in May. We have a long line of various insects outside our door, waiting for May, and we have to tread carefully, when we come home.
We don't want to step on them!
May 1st and the rush will be on. The little blighters become biters!

But.......... I jest. ( Blame the alcohol )

We have never had a problem with mozzies in May and, depending which room you're in at Brouklis, you may find Dimitris has fitted mozzie screens.
So if you get those warm evenings and need some air the screen comes down and the doors can be left open. Spray your room when you go out and when you return.
When going out, eliminate the perfume & after shave and spray on a good repellant.
( Better to smell naturalle without itches than of "Essence of Emmanuelle" and scratch for the next 2 days. )

You'll all be fine and if you're bothered then take their names and refer them to me.
Have a good holiday.
Cheers
Negg

Offline Holly

• Bronze medal {over 20 posts}
« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2008, 08:52:49 PM »
My husband is a walking takeaway for mosquitos and any other biting insect. Before we went to Arillas last September I invested in Jungle Formula tropical strength repellent and a plug in burner. He didn't get bitten once. I did because I don't normally get bitten so didn't bother with the repellent.

riggers

« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2008, 09:20:58 PM »
I always use Jungle Formula and i never get bit. When i went in October last Year i didn't think i would need it at that time of year, ( i got bit ).
Got a Wardrobe full of the the stuff now waiting to take with me.

riggers...

Offline justphil

• Arillas regular visitor
  • ARILLIAC
  • Arillas is in my soul
« Reply #6 on: March 07, 2008, 02:40:40 AM »
Like Torchwood's Owen, the aliens take one look at me and think I've "gone off." I have never had a bite in 5 visits. But Jen had 17 serious blisters lanced after only a few days in 2003 and still has the scars. It kept us away for four years.

But she now has a formula - Boots Jungle Strength all over the feet, ankles and up to the knees - it's feet they go for. And it's not night time - it is early evening as the sun sets, sitting with bare feet and legs eating in tavernas when they strike. She wears pop-sox (not recommended for hubby - would certainly not do much for his street cred!) but keeping them away from lower legs during that period has prevented her getting bitten at all in 2007.

Hope this helps.
phil

Offline Lou

• Golden Medal {over 60 posts}
« Reply #7 on: March 17, 2008, 03:07:54 PM »
Hi Becky I to suffer badly they love me but last year I used the jungle formula and it worked well ! Vitamin B 12 is also good need to take 1 a dat at least 2 months prior to going.
everything looks better through the eyes of your children

Offline BeckyB

• Arillas Addict
« Reply #8 on: March 17, 2008, 04:51:07 PM »

Thanks evryone for all the useful top tips - which I have passed on to Christian - as I say, I don't get too badly attacked but boy, they lurve him!!

He was particularly taken with your posting Phil & Jen & the whole ankle thing which made a lot of sense to him, but I'm slightly worried what you've unleashed as he has now announced that he will be wearing long socks in the evenings with his shorts!

He hasn't specified how long they might be - only that they will be 'longer' socks to stop the bites.
Unfortunately my pleas of fashion faux pas etc have fallen on deaf ears & he's convinced this is the way to go.
No amount of convincing him that he'll look like some 'nutty professor' has sufficed & so we'll be the ones - he, a six foot, good looking, dark haired guy (who might have come from the set of ("It Ain't Half Hot Mum") & me the crimson faced blonde walking ten paces behind!!

Still, if it works, then that's all there is to it.

Seriously though, thanks SO much for all the suggestions.

Becky B

Offline Sandy x

• Sandy
  • ARILLIAC
  • Kouklospito
« Reply #9 on: March 17, 2008, 05:00:33 PM »
Becky...I think I'd be more concerned if he proposes to wear sandals with his socks!!!
Sandy x

Offline BeckyB

• Arillas Addict
« Reply #10 on: March 17, 2008, 05:05:37 PM »

Sandy don't - please!!

We're only in our mid thirties, but I know exactly where you're coming from.
I'm worried that this is the slippery slope.
First it stsrts with the socks getting a bit longer (purely for medicinal purposes he tells me) & then the old sandals start creeping in - it'll be cardigans before we know it...aaaahhhhh!!!

Offline blondegirl

• ARILLIAC
« Reply #11 on: March 17, 2008, 05:41:49 PM »
I have said it before, and I will say it again...  we  just need an all in one suit... with clothes painted on, either a bikini to stop the sunburn or long shorts, long socks, long sleeves, therefore no gaps for the mozzies to get in..  do you think it might catch on?
If you want the rainbow, you gotta put up with the rain.

Offline Sandy x

• Sandy
  • ARILLIAC
  • Kouklospito
« Reply #12 on: March 17, 2008, 05:55:32 PM »
You could always move to Australia Becky - long socks and shorts are all the rage there - bus conductors and even doctors dress like that for work !!!
Sandy x

Offline lynne

• Golden Medal {over 60 posts}
« Reply #13 on: April 03, 2008, 09:52:33 AM »
Cardigans are fashionable this year !!!! I used to get bit but i use Soltan after sun with insect repellent so you know you will moisturize every bit of your body and then i spray with Autan seems to work for me. we also use plug in sprays and candles but we leave those in the room :)
lynne

Offline blondegirl

• ARILLIAC
« Reply #14 on: April 03, 2008, 10:41:35 AM »
One year I bought 1 metre of this citronella elastic and made up some arm and wrist bands.  Mike looked like Rambo!  But they worked.

I have just bought from Ebay  for a £1 x 4 curly plastic wrist bands with citronella, they are bright yellow but they might work, especially if you are out walking.  I will try anything (within reason).  Might be good for kids to wear and fun, as long as they dont put them in their mouths they might be ok.
If you want the rainbow, you gotta put up with the rain.

Booking.com