Author Topic: corfu in the winter  (Read 14763 times)

Offline ANN

• Bronze medal {over 20 posts}
corfu in the winter
« on: November 06, 2004, 12:10:40 AM »
I know that Arillas is 'closed' for the winter but the beach, countryside, footpaths and winter sunshine are still there. Has anyone taken a winter holiday on Corfu?  It must be possible to book a weeks holiday somewhere on the island for a break in Jan/Feb. I could not stand another January holiday dodging time share sharks in the Canaries!!

Offline Lisa and Steve

• JustLisa
  • Arillas regular visitor
  • Forum Fanatic
corfu in the winter
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2004, 09:48:57 AM »
I agree with you.The Canaries may have the lovely weather in the winter but along with it come loads of people and LOADS of noise.

Offline Eileen

• ARILLIAC
  • Linakis lemons!
    • http://www.villalinakis.com
Corfu in the Winter
« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2004, 04:24:30 PM »
Ann,

I've not been to Corfu in the winter, but intend to do so next year.  I suppose the downside at the moment is the lack of direct flights out of season, but there are more operators than ever before operating flights to Athens now and it's not too difficult to get a connecting domestic flight.

I've often wondered if there is anything open in Arillas in the winter.

Can anyone tell me if the baker, a mini-market or even a taverna is open?

Eileenx

Offline BBB

• Super Member {over 100 posts}
corfu in the winter
« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2004, 09:31:57 PM »
Brouklis and Mon Amour are open weekends only. The bakery near the Gallini Apartments is open up to 2pm. I'm sure someone can confirm this.

Where do the locals shop in winter?

Offline Mick and Jill

• Forum Fanatic
corfu in the winter
« Reply #4 on: November 07, 2004, 10:28:59 PM »
Hi, I know Perry was saying he was hoping to keep the Coconut Bar open for the second year, they normally close up in December but have been given a government grant to help them stay open.  Was asking our friends at Portofino where they shop etc in the winter and there still seems to be supermarkets open in Sidari.  Apart from that it's Corfu town.
Jill XXX

Anonymous

corfu in the winter
« Reply #5 on: November 08, 2004, 06:49:02 PM »
Hi,Could i please ask,do many people actually live in the village???thanks,cx :wink:

Offline Paul/Deb5

• Forum Fanatic
corfu in the winter
« Reply #6 on: November 10, 2004, 03:14:11 PM »
Hi Mick & Jill
Haven't seen you on for a while ? but it maybe because I haven't been on for a while !!  we were quite busy during our stay in Arillas in October and I did find out that there was a few places that were going to be open during winter i.e. Yainnis @ Sea Breeze was going to be open as he lives just at the back up the hill, and as you say Perry was hoping to be open,
also there is a supermarket/ butchers on way to Mon Amour on left that is open all year. I think you'll find alot more places are staying open now ?

Paul/Deb5

Offline vivian

• Vivian
  • ARILLIAC
  • Stay Nude it ant Rude
    • http://www.holmvalley.com
corfu in the winter
« Reply #7 on: November 10, 2004, 03:22:49 PM »
Hi Mick & Jill, Nice to have you back, it was good to see you even though it was such a short time will make it longer and have a drink next time, I hope. Cheer's Viv & Pete

Stay Nude it ante rude

Anonymous

Arillas in the winter
« Reply #8 on: November 13, 2004, 08:47:48 PM »
I beleive that the "Amourada" stays open in the winter, but probably without Billy's classical music nights! Dimitris usually takes a winter break with his fiancee but his parents live in Arillas, as do both his sisters. Ina who runs the Supermaket and the "Wok House" lives in Kavvaddes. (Soon to be a neighbour of ours, we hope) Jimmy and Spiros from the Rainbow live nearby in Afionas. I think Spiros and Olga, from Arillas Travel, have a very nice 2/3 apartments knocked into one at the Elena/Stella and stay there in the winter . Some of their rooms have heating and we are trying to find out if they rent out of season. We would love to get to Arillas in the winter but lack of holiday, and flight availability make it difficult. Dimitris tells me that the best way to learn the language is in the winter as everybody switches back to Greek.

Offline Ivan

• Arillas Addict
corfu in the winter
« Reply #9 on: November 13, 2004, 09:06:10 PM »
8) That's a very interesting comment about learning Greek, I noticed that in many cases I was trying to speak Greek to Greeks who in many, not all, cases were speaking English to me!
                                   Ivan

Online Eggy

• On the Spot reporter
  • ARILLIAC
Arillas in the winter
« Reply #10 on: November 14, 2004, 02:10:00 AM »
Ivan
"Guest" was me by the way. I failed to log in correctly. It tends to work the other way for me. As soon as I launch into greek I get so many fast greek words so quickly I use my old favourite "Then Katalaveno" (English pronounciation of I don't understand) and usually resort back to English. But its amazing what you know when you really need it.

Offline Ivan

• Arillas Addict
corfu in the winter
« Reply #11 on: November 14, 2004, 10:12:41 PM »
:lol: Eggy,
               I have got a copy of an audio only language course called the "Pimsleur Language Program" which I have found to be about the most effective I have tried so far. I am listening to it on my walkman at work an a fair amount of it seems to be sticking with me. I got it in of all places my local library,
                             Ivan

Offline harold

• Forum Fanatic
corfu in the winter
« Reply #12 on: November 15, 2004, 12:32:25 PM »
A few years back Sally and i were talking with an elderly gentleman who had been coming back to Corfu in the winter for quiet a few years.He stayed up the hill towards Annes.He was saying that in a morning the pools had ice on them ,but by mid morning the ice had melted and the sun was warm enough that he was able to roll up his sleaves and walk along the beach.I do not know where he acually stayed,but hope this helps.I do know that he had to get a flight to Athens then the local flight to Corfu as there are no direct flights from the Uk in winter.I have read somewhere that you will be able to get a flight to Corfu from the Uk around Christmas time.It maybe on this web site somewhere.
Harold,
Theres only one Altrincham FC

Online Eggy

• On the Spot reporter
  • ARILLIAC
Corfu in the Winter
« Reply #13 on: November 15, 2004, 04:22:54 PM »
Ivan
Thanks for the info. I'll have a look in our local library. I've got a copy of "Hugos learn Greek in three months" It must be 5 years ago I bought it. Slow or what! The problem is that all the Greeks want to learn from us in the summer and are far too busy. (They have much more time in the Winter) If we all held up Nickos, Takis and Dimitris at the Brouklis with our greek conversation then no one would get any food. They have much more time in the winter. I try and reply in Greek even when English is spoken but I am sure you may have hit the situation when the person you speak to suddenly launches into a fast and furious flow. Spiros, Dimitris's father, helped me lot in the past as I would sit with him at the Brouklis after hours. His limited English and my limited Greek plus a few glasses of wine and HEY we get by.

Offline dimitris

• Administrator
  • Forum Fanatic
  • 尚 尚 尚 尚 尚
    • www.arillas.com
Learn Greek
« Reply #14 on: November 16, 2004, 06:27:40 PM »
Hi everybody,!
Somebody forgot this book in My Apartment it looks like a good Greek learning method written by Brian Church a British Journalist that lives in Athens.
The Book is realy goooood.
MR EGGY THE BOOK IS WAITING FOR YOU

ISBN 960-86395-1-4
Dimitris Kourkoulos
Brouklis Str 7
Arillas 49081
Corfu Greece
+30 26630 51418
www.arillas.com
Brouklis Taverna
The 10 things you don't know about Arillas

Booking.com