Author Topic: Myths, Legends & Local stories...  (Read 7750 times)

Offline BeckyB

• Arillas Addict
Myths, Legends & Local stories...
« on: April 01, 2008, 10:35:53 PM »

Hello everybody,

Apologies if a topic of a similar vein has been posted before, but I was wondering, given the rich culture of the island & stories of greek mythology, does anyone know of any stories or local legends that are particularly pertinent to Arillas?

Dimititris, I'm sure you could help me on this one?
When you were growing up, were there any stories or tales that were passed down to you that were to do with the village or local area?

If anyone could shed any light, that would be great?

Given the magic of Arillas, I bet there's got to be a few!

In anticipation,

Becky B.

Offline blondegirl

• ARILLIAC
Re: Myths, Legends & Local stories...
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2008, 12:19:01 AM »
I think Eggy is becoming a bit of a legend with his stories and escapades!
If you want the rainbow, you gotta put up with the rain.

Offline justphil

• Arillas regular visitor
  • ARILLIAC
  • Arillas is in my soul
« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2008, 02:25:18 AM »
This would be a fantastic thread. The history, the folklore, the characters - let's just get on with it. Dimitris can help like he has elsewhere with the hippie culture and Swizerland. Arillas itslef may not go back many years but the area does. We would all love to hear about it all so let's get researching and posting what we find.

Lovely idea becky.
phil and jenny

Offline blondegirl

• ARILLIAC
« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2008, 10:57:22 AM »
I found this to kick it off!

There are many legends about Corfu, especially regarding the origins of the name Kerkyra, the Greek name that is used today for Corfù.   During ancient times the island had many different names as for example Makris (long) due to its shape, Drepanon (scythe) for its resemblance with this agricultural tool, and Scheria as the God Poseidon hold the “schin” (detritus) to keep the island far from the mainland.

During the Centuries Corfù took many other names, till Kerkyra that comes from the
legend about Kerkyra nymph.   Kerkyra was a nymph born from Asopo river and received the love from Poseidon Godthat took her to the island and gave the island her name.   From their love born Feacas, first of “Feaci” population.

Many persons think that the myth of the Kerkyra nymph comes from the original Byzantine word "Koryfò", derived from the “Acropoli”, in front of the modern town.
From the word “Koryfo” comes the Latin name Corfou or Corfu that’s the modern name given today to Kerkyra island from foreigners.

Offline blondegirl

• ARILLIAC
« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2008, 11:14:49 AM »
I'm on a roll here!

The Corfiots where the best sailors because they where the only people in the known history that they command their ships without tiller

Offline dimitris

• Administrator
  • Forum Fanatic
  • 尚 尚 尚 尚 尚
    • www.arillas.com
« Reply #5 on: April 02, 2008, 11:16:23 AM »
I found this to kick it off!

There are many legends about Corfu, especially regarding the origins of the name Kerkyra, the Greek name that is used today for Corfù.   During ancient times the island had many different names as for example Makris (long) due to its shape, Drepanon (scythe) for its resemblance with this agricultural tool, and Scheria as the God Poseidon hold the “schin” (detritus) to keep the island far from the mainland.

During the Centuries Corfù took many other names, till Kerkyra that comes from the
legend about Kerkyra nymph.   Kerkyra was a nymph born from Asopo river and received the love from Poseidon Godthat took her to the island and gave the island her name.   From their love born Feacas, first of “Feaci” population.

Many persons think that the myth of the Kerkyra nymph comes from the original Byzantine word "Koryfò", derived from the “Acropoli”, in front of the modern town.
From the word “Koryfo” comes the Latin name Corfou or Corfu that’s the modern name given today to Kerkyra island from foreigners.

It sound a good Idea, I have some stories in my mind but the time sems to be not enough at the moment.

blond girl and Everyone alse!
Your article is great but when you copy and paste any content from an other source, without referring to the original author of the content and without providing any links to the actual source, then our forum is committing a crime and could cause big problems. It normally never happens but I know it can happen only once!  this is called Plagiarism

So please if you ever do this do it in the proper way according our websites terms and contritions

Have a nice day

DImitris
Dimitris Kourkoulos
Brouklis Str 7
Arillas 49081
Corfu Greece
+30 26630 51418
www.arillas.com
Brouklis Taverna
The 10 things you don't know about Arillas

Offline blondegirl

• ARILLIAC
« Reply #6 on: April 02, 2008, 11:20:05 AM »
Ooops!  Sorry Dimitris! Must remember to add the author

Offline BASS MAN

« Reply #7 on: April 02, 2008, 01:02:34 PM »
"It is likely that Arillas dates from the early Roman Christian period when it was usual to name a district after a prominent local feature, adding the Latin suffix "ille".

In the Arillas district a kind of oak called "Aria" grew in abundance (the village is still called "Aria" today by older people). The wood was very suitable for boat-building, hence "Arillas".

Thus the name was coined by some Roman military type based in the area."

Source?

Dimitris K (on the Greek Arillas.gr)

Interesting thread!

Offline BeckyB

• Arillas Addict
« Reply #8 on: April 02, 2008, 02:30:51 PM »

This is so exciting everyone!

Really good replies & thanks for embracing this one. I've now got to go away & put my own thinking cap on & see what I can come up with!!
Watch this space....

Becky B :-)

Offline vivian

• Vivian
  • ARILLIAC
  • Stay Nude it ant Rude
    • http://www.holmvalley.com
« Reply #9 on: April 02, 2008, 02:41:53 PM »
Here's something for you to reseach, Im sure you have all seen this site and it is to do with a God or a myth but you have to find out what. Viv

Stay Nude it ante rude

Offline TerryW

• ARILLIAC
« Reply #10 on: April 02, 2008, 06:32:53 PM »
The photo isn't very clear Viv.

It could be a creature from the great myth about  σαγόνια. It looks like it could be a fin from a μεγάλος άσπρος καρχαρίας ( Great White Shark)

Offline vivian

• Vivian
  • ARILLIAC
  • Stay Nude it ant Rude
« Reply #11 on: April 02, 2008, 07:24:09 PM »
Hmm, it does look rather like a fin from the great white I grant you, think of Rod Stewart. Not telling you yet as somebody else may be looking it up. Viv

Stay Nude it ante rude

Offline dimitris

• Administrator
  • Forum Fanatic
  • 尚 尚 尚 尚 尚
    • www.arillas.com
« Reply #12 on: April 02, 2008, 11:20:16 PM »
Vivian!
I was having in mind to post another story about this rock and I was looking for some pictures of it. suddently I see your post!!!  This is called telepathy!!!
there is one picture I took of the beach and the other of the plane last October.
where did you take yours from?

Dimitris Kourkoulos
Brouklis Str 7
Arillas 49081
Corfu Greece
+30 26630 51418
www.arillas.com
Brouklis Taverna
The 10 things you don't know about Arillas

Offline vivian

• Vivian
  • ARILLIAC
  • Stay Nude it ant Rude
« Reply #13 on: April 03, 2008, 05:10:46 AM »
If I just say a land dispute, im sure you will know where I was, dont really know what to call it. Has the rock got a name apart the one we know it as.lol. Vivian

Stay Nude it ante rude

Offline vivian

• Vivian
  • ARILLIAC
  • Stay Nude it ant Rude
« Reply #14 on: April 04, 2008, 11:06:15 AM »
Odysseus had many travels and adventures (which included pokeing out the cyclops Polyphernus single eye  he was Psideon's son) and that on his way home Corfu was his last port of call and that Psideon (God of the sea) changed his ship to stone which you can now see in Arillas.
I have also seem to remember being told told that Odysseus spent7 yrs with the sea nyph Calipso somewhere near Arillas and she proposed marriage to him that the stream comes from her tears .
I dont know where I heard it or who told me but it seems to stick in my mind. Im sure Dimitris will let us know if it's right or wrong. Viv

Stay Nude it ante rude

Booking.com