Author Topic: How I found Arillas!  (Read 270924 times)

Offline TONYNEW

• Arillas 2016
  • Arillas regular visitor
  • Forum Fanatic
  • Dionysos
    • Tonys webshots
Re: How I found Arillas!
« Reply #210 on: March 07, 2010, 01:33:46 PM »
Brilliant photographs Dimitris things have certainly changed in 25 years it was about 11 years ago we first visited Arillas we came over from San Stef for a couple of days when we stayed at Voula
Infact it was Spiros that first introduced me to Mythos ;-)
Myself 25 years ago i was tearing around the racing circuits in Britain the Isle of Man TT and a few times over to Belgium to race at a road circuit called Chimay and loved every minute of being a sidecar passenger which i did for 10 years i still keep yearning for anothe bash on 1 but i dont think i will bounce as well now lol
                               Tony

Offline justphil

• ARILLIAC
  • Arillas is in my soul
« Reply #211 on: March 07, 2010, 02:19:45 PM »
After leaving the airport and your transfer, it will be too late for anywhere to be open sadly. What Jen and I do in these circumstances is take something in the hold luggage in case we're "thirsty on arrival...." We usually are, and far too excited to sleep!

We will be around till 26th July, so please feel free to say hello if you want to. (Most take fright and run away...lol)

Phil

Offline dicky mint

« Reply #212 on: March 07, 2010, 02:36:51 PM »
I'm not easily scared, i've been married for 20 something years, and have twin girls of seventeen, so if you see us, run as fast as you can!!!!

Offline sueroy

« Reply #213 on: March 07, 2010, 04:08:29 PM »
hi all in 1984 cant rember any street lights stayed down by the jetty on the corner by the cocnut bar we were told the mayor of arillas owned the apparment old dimitris had the coconut bar we were told he was the local police man we went to the old old night owl his son has the night owl now last year we talked about the old car and his mum and dad thanks for the lift back down the hill in the thunder storm have got some old photos will try to post them soon love to you all

Offline justphil

• ARILLIAC
  • Arillas is in my soul
« Reply #214 on: March 07, 2010, 05:15:45 PM »
Hello sueroy - what a lovely heartfelt post. Obviously have some great memories of Arillas in past times. Truth is it hasn't changed much, thank heaven. Life is slow, happy and friendly still. Wish we had found it in 1984.....

And dicky mint, our twins are 28, we've been together for 40 years, married for most of them, and we can't run very fast these days. Obviously older than yous.... Still mean it - you can't miss the "Arillas Hippies." Just come up and say hello. That is unless we do first....

Phil

Offline dicky mint

« Reply #215 on: March 08, 2010, 05:50:48 PM »
Hi Phil

Will post a photo of us when I get one that the police aren't using for their enquiries.

Offline rockchick792k7

« Reply #216 on: April 15, 2010, 07:11:55 PM »
My life was finally picking up, and for the first time since their births, my mum felt ready to look after my 2 daughters, so I planned the "Shirley Valentine".....
However, by the time I had a budget, I was also in a new relationship, so the runaway turned into a romantic getaway, I didn't care where, I hadn't been abroad for years.
We would have been happy,( and on a budget of £400 for the 2 of us EXPECTED!) to end up with a grotty little room, as we intended to spend as litle time in it as possible-who said romance was dead?lol
The travel agent arranged everything, i handed over the cash and we flew off, my partner was SO unconcerned by where we went, it wasn't until the bus journey to Arillas that he turned to me and said:- "Corfu???? I thought we were goig to Kos!"
The plane landed at 2am, and by the time we arrived at our apartments it was so dark outside we could make out nothing other than the fact that we were fairly high on a hill, and my heart sank, imagining the miles of cross country hiking to a beach.
The apartments however were unbelievable! I sat up for an hour waiting to be told that we'd been given the wrong accomodation and evicted into the grotty room i had imagined. On split levels, the tiled floors immaculate, every need catered for, I decided that I preferred the Anna Studios to my own home!
Finally we crashed to sleep, excited in a strange place, and I slept until I was awoken by a giddy squeal from Chris that would have put a horror movie scream-queen to shame!
Panicking I leapt from the bed.
He'd had only 2 wishes from this holiday, 1)being close enough to walk to the sea and 2) that the sea be warm enough to splash helplessly about in.
Two fast facts about my beloved are that he had never been to a resort with warm sea, and also, he cannot swim to save his life!
I found him on the balcony with a huge grin on his face i joined him and saw the desert-island -blue sea with Gravia Island on centre stage. Chris instantly declared this to be Tracey Island like Columbus claiming land his own, and the name has stuck!
We had such a wonderful time that the following year we brought my two girls, and the year after were even joined by our little "surprise" our third daughter Sydney-who i fought to name Iona in homage to the sea there. I lost on a technicality that Chris wanted to name her for his grandfather.
And now....we have 18 days until we return again,this time wth the whle family, including my mum, sister and nephew, who will be new to Arillas, but guaranteed to fall in love with the perfect beaches, the unbeatable food and the wonderful people lucky enough to call Arillas home, because we may only have to joy of visiting, but home is where the heart is, and we lost ours to Arillas 5 years ago.

Anna, Chris, Lili, Bonny & Syd

Offline rockchick792k7

« Reply #217 on: April 15, 2010, 07:15:04 PM »
My life was finally picking up, and for the first time since their births, my mum felt ready to look after my 2 daughters, so I planned the "Shirley Valentine".....
However, by the time I had a budget, I was also in a new relationship, so the runaway turned into a romantic getaway, I didn't care where, I hadn't been abroad for years.
We would have been happy,( and on a budget of £400 for the 2 of us EXPECTED!) to end up with a grotty little room, as we intended to spend as litle time in it as possible-who said romance was dead?lol
The travel agent arranged everything, i handed over the cash and we flew off, my partner was SO unconcerned by where we went, it wasn't until the bus journey to Arillas that he turned to me and said:- "Corfu???? I thought we were goig to Kos!"
The plane landed at 2am, and by the time we arrived at our apartments it was so dark outside we could make out nothing other than the fact that we were fairly high on a hill, and my heart sank, imagining the miles of cross country hiking to a beach.
The apartments however were unbelievable! I sat up for an hour waiting to be told that we'd been given the wrong accomodation and evicted into the grotty room i had imagined. On split levels, the tiled floors immaculate, every need catered for, I decided that I preferred the Anna Studios to my own home!
Finally we crashed to sleep, excited in a strange place, and I slept until I was awoken by a giddy squeal from Chris that would have put a horror movie scream-queen to shame!
Panicking I leapt from the bed.
He'd had only 2 wishes from this holiday, 1)being close enough to walk to the sea and 2) that the sea be warm enough to splash helplessly about in.
Two fast facts about my beloved are that he had never been to a resort with warm sea, and also, he cannot swim to save his life!
I found him on the balcony with a huge grin on his face i joined him and saw the desert-island -blue sea with Gravia Island on centre stage. Chris instantly declared this to be Tracey Island like Columbus claiming land his own, and the name has stuck!
We had such a wonderful time that the following year we brought my two girls, and the year after were even joined by our little "surprise" our third daughter Sydney-who i fought to name Iona in homage to the sea there. I lost on a technicality that Chris wanted to name her for his grandfather.
And now....we have 18 days until we return again,this time wth the whle family, including my mum, sister and nephew, who will be new to Arillas, but guaranteed to fall in love with the perfect beaches, the unbeatable food and the wonderful people lucky enough to call Arillas home, because we may only have to joy of visiting, but home is where the heart is, and we lost ours to Arillas 5 years ago.

Anna, Chris, Lili, Bonny & Syd

Offline rockchick792k7

« Reply #218 on: April 15, 2010, 07:16:48 PM »
just for the record-yes, i AM so dense that i posted th same thing twice! :S lol

Offline Jo Wissett

• ARILLIAC
« Reply #219 on: April 15, 2010, 07:18:20 PM »
Aw anna what a truly lovely story! I love this topic, it's so nice reading about everyone first impressions isn't it. Not long till your back eh you lucky things! Welcome to the forum!

Offline Eileen

• ARILLIAC
  • Linakis lemons!
    • http://www.villalinakis.com
« Reply #220 on: April 15, 2010, 07:41:39 PM »
Anna, 2005 was a truly memorable year for you...you fell in love twice! :-)

Thank you for sharing your story with us.

I will look out for you all. :-)

Eileen.

Offline justphil

• ARILLIAC
  • Arillas is in my soul
« Reply #221 on: April 15, 2010, 07:45:08 PM »
And welcome from me too Anna. We fell in love with Arillas within hours of our first vsit in 2002. have now spent 16 weeks there in total. We stayed at Anna Studios once, and have to agree. Immaculate, spotless and run by such a warm and friendly family. so glad you'll be getting back this year. We'll be there in July,  but sadly only for two weeks.

Phil

Offline Sandy x

• Sandy
  • ARILLIAC
  • Kouklospito
« Reply #222 on: April 15, 2010, 08:27:47 PM »
Welcome to the forum Anna. Four posts but already a regualr visitor. May see you there....I arrive on 5 May.
Sandy x

Offline JohnTheRef&Dot

• ARILLIAC
  • First star to the right and straight on to Arillas
« Reply #223 on: April 16, 2010, 12:11:19 AM »
rockchick792k7
Wish we could be with you in 18 days time but that's not possible.
Will have to wait till July.
Enjoyed your post.
Wishing you a fabulous time in our favorite place

Offline mally

« Reply #224 on: April 20, 2010, 01:11:16 AM »
Hello everyone. I am new on here. have been reading how you all found Arillas. My sister & i will be making our first visit here in june. it will be our first time to corfu. we visit greece alot but wanted to try a new place. Arillas looked so relaxing in the brochure so we thought "give it a try". from what i have read , we wont be dissapointed.

Booking.com