Author Topic: How I found Arillas!  (Read 270385 times)

Offline gaye

• Arillas regular visitor
  • Forum Fanatic
Re: How I found Arillas!
« Reply #165 on: September 29, 2009, 12:01:21 AM »
I am sure that I have posted this before so apologies if you have read this!
August 2001 and we love Corfu so much that we go into the travel agent for a last minute deal.
This is extra special as we are taking our daughters' friend Maria with us. My daughters are 14 and twelve and Maria is 13 so a good friend to both girls.
We book San Stefanos for a week and had such a great time...Maria had never been abroad before and loved everything about the holiday.
We arrived home on August 21st and on August 31st Maria died....sudden adolescent death syndrome....we were all devastated.
We thought that we would NEVER visit Corfu again, but something drew us to that travel agent again the following year.
"What do you have in Corfu?" we asked,"Preferably on the North side or even down South?"
They mentioned Arillas and having visited Corfu on and off for many years we did have to ask,"Where?"
We were assured that it was nowhere near San Stef so booked it!
It became apparent very quickly after our arrival that we were indeed VERY close to San Stef!
We felt totally at peace at this realisation and totally fell in love with Arillas!
Indeed we felt that Maria was with us and has been ever since. R.I.P.
gaygo

Offline Sandy x

• Sandy
  • ARILLIAC
  • Kouklospito
« Reply #166 on: September 29, 2009, 12:09:18 AM »
I do remember that story Gaye. I am sure your return to Arillas was meant to be and in some ways, going back there is another way of paying your respects to Maria......a place where you were all so happy together.

My best friend died at the beginning of this year. She was meant to come with me to Arillas in the spring. Instead, I have some of her paintings in my house so I always feel a little bit of her is there with me even though she never got to see it herself.
Sandy x

Offline Jo Wissett

• ARILLIAC
« Reply #167 on: September 29, 2009, 11:56:51 PM »
What moving stories, thanks for sharing xx

Offline gaye

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #168 on: September 30, 2009, 12:36:35 AM »
Sandy.... XXXX
gaygo

Offline Sandy x

• Sandy
  • ARILLIAC
  • Kouklospito
« Reply #169 on: September 30, 2009, 12:49:19 AM »
Thanks Gaye xxx
Sandy x

Offline justphil

• ARILLIAC
  • Arillas is in my soul
« Reply #170 on: September 30, 2009, 12:52:15 AM »
Gaygo and Sandy dears, we have had our share too. The worst were two nephews - Jen's sister's youngest and my sister's only child died at age 31 and 26. Both from "natural causes."

Much of who I am comes from that. These years down the line, I encourage our two to make everything possible out of every day. I do it myself.

It never leaves you does it? But at least we can remember all the best bits.

Phil

Offline paula

« Reply #171 on: October 09, 2009, 01:44:02 AM »
I found Arillas by accident I was booking a holiday with my aunt an she was messin me about with times and dates and where she wanted to go, so I went into travel agents and picked up first book I saw and just flicked through the pages to find a cheap holiday I saw price for £199 (it was a few years ago) so I just looked up and saw it was Corfu and just booked it. I then rang my aunt told her the  book and page no to book it too. When we got there it was very late at night so in the morning my aunt came to my door and was gushing about it she was sayin god look at the view from my room i can see the sea it lovely. We never looked back from there I went back 6 times and am planning to go again next year with friends so I can show the place off to them. I have always told them when I go to Arillas  I feel like I am going home.

Offline sharonF

• ARILLIAC
« Reply #172 on: October 09, 2009, 10:04:24 AM »
Hi Paula, that view is the icing on the cake isnt it.  Where did you stay?

Sharon x

Offline DAVEnFRANCES

« Reply #173 on: January 27, 2010, 05:07:40 PM »
My wife Frances and I, discovered Arillas back in 2000.
We booked through Thomson on a cheap allocation on arrival, and arrived at around midnight to a pitch black town.
We were moved into better accomodation (Nikos) after a couple of days and started exploring and making friends. We really liked Vasilis and Anita, who have since married and had a family of course.

We loved the sea breeze taverna and made friends with Yianni and his sister Lula.

Hired out a motorbike and toured the island...loved this. If you are into biking give this a try. Just follow the coastal road and you will find out what places you like (Kassiopi/Paleokastritsa are our favourite) and what you dont (that place in the south that begins with a K.... you know the one)

We went again in 2001 and stayed in Marina apartments which was brilliantt because they are right on the beach.

We love the place...love the people....love the food, so, having been to other places (Lake Garda / Nile Cruise and the Algarve) we decided we miss Arillas so much that we are going again this year, which will be our third time. (Marina Hotel)

Offline Janis

• ARILLIAC
« Reply #174 on: January 27, 2010, 11:34:43 PM »
I've just enjoyed reading all these posts again - what wonderful words from lovely people about a heavenly place!

Janis x

Offline Sandy x

• Sandy
  • ARILLIAC
  • Kouklospito
« Reply #175 on: January 28, 2010, 02:07:39 AM »
I'm the same Janis....I love reading about people's first visit to Arillas and always enjoy a new post on this thread.
Sandy x

Offline justphil

• ARILLIAC
  • Arillas is in my soul
« Reply #176 on: January 28, 2010, 02:45:27 AM »
Like yous two Janis and Sandy, I have followed this thread since the beginning. I really love to read how others have shared Jen and my experiences, and let's face it, without the forum we might never have met each other (still on our list Janis.)

love to both
Phil

Offline Janis

• ARILLIAC
« Reply #177 on: January 28, 2010, 11:00:16 AM »
Oh, don't worry Phil - we intend to keep going to Arillas for many, many more years to come and will no doubt get the opportunity to meet you and Jen and EVERYONE else from this forum!  Arillas just binds us all to meet - it's our destiny!
Janis x

Offline DAVEnFRANCES

« Reply #178 on: January 28, 2010, 02:47:23 PM »
Oh, don't worry Phil - we intend to keep going to Arillas for many, many more years to come and will no doubt get the opportunity to meet you and Jen and EVERYONE else from this forum!  Arillas just binds us all to meet - it's our destiny!
Janis x
Hi janis & co.
I posted for the first time yesterday, but we reckon that there will be many more, as we would like to meet you guys as well!

We will be at Arillias this year from 3rd Sept - 17thSept, and staying in the Marina Hotel.

Hoping to bump into at least someone from this forum during our visit.

Lol DAVEnFRANCES

Offline justphil

• ARILLIAC
  • Arillas is in my soul
« Reply #179 on: January 28, 2010, 07:33:52 PM »
Dave and Francis, welcome to our forum. Keep posting!

We will be there in mid July this year so sadly will miss you unless things change - in which case we will repeat our month of September 2008. Our report is in Tell Us Your Story:
http://www.arillas.com/page/option,com_smf/Itemid,165/topic,4134.0/lang,en

Many of the forum go in September, it is a lovely time of year there. You will find it difficult not to meet some of us!

Many put our holiday bookings on the calendar that TerryW started. Here's the link
http://my.calendars.net/arillas

Have a great time at Marina.
Phil

Booking.com