Author Topic: mozzies  (Read 40759 times)

Offline blondegirl

• ARILLIAC
Re: mozzies
« Reply #30 on: June 27, 2008, 10:28:11 AM »
Mike does exactly the same.... swinging a towel around his head like a helicopter blade... I dont know how he thinks he will get them like that... always good for a laugh though!
If you want the rainbow, you gotta put up with the rain.

Offline vivian

• Vivian
  • Arillas regular visitor
  • ARILLIAC
  • Stay Nude it ant Rude
    • http://www.holmvalley.com
« Reply #31 on: June 27, 2008, 10:31:31 AM »
It seems a lot of the lads on the forum run around naked at 3 in the morning just to please their other halfs (so they dont get bitten). Viv
 couldn't find a mozzie

Stay Nude it ante rude

Offline Eileen

• ARILLIAC
  • Linakis lemons!
    • http://www.villalinakis.com
« Reply #32 on: June 27, 2008, 10:35:24 AM »
Thats so true Viv!  I lie back in bed in hysterics watching Keith trying to swat one!

Eileenx

Offline garythebike

• Silver Medal {over 40 posts}
« Reply #33 on: June 27, 2008, 11:03:26 AM »
Just got back from a fortnight in heaven and can report an abundance of mozzies.
Despite this, (and at the risk of sounding smug), my wife, 4 year old and myself didn't get one bite !
Some tips:
Liquid plug-ins (at least 2)
Spray the room liberally on arrival and every 2'nd or 3rd day
Spray all visible skin every evening
MOST important, when you get back at night open and shut door quickly and have a GOOD look around your white painted room for the little sods, because with practise they're quite visible (us proffesionals prefer a fly swatter to rolled up mag ! ).

This year i got through 4 cans of spray and it was worth every penny.
My wife thinks i'm obsessive but, as i said, not one bite !
Another suggestion for the brave is to wait for said wife to go to sleep then remove all her covers and use them for yourself therebye providing "decoy".
Good job she does'nt read this !
Happy hols.

Offline TerryW

• ARILLIAC
« Reply #34 on: June 27, 2008, 12:10:16 PM »
Thanks for that information Gary.

What spray did you take?

TerryW

Offline Erja

• Beer Quality controler
  • ARILLIAC
  • Royal Ionian Gold...amber nectar, only better ;)
« Reply #35 on: June 27, 2008, 12:29:59 PM »
Staying in Brouklis we had pull down mozzie nets on all the windows and the balcony door and even the bathroom window had a net. And of course we had the nets hanging from the seiling above our beds. We hardly used the plug in's in the rooms and when we went out in the evening we slapped on eau de Jungle Formula and avoided any other perfumes.

Result after two weeks stay: Me 1 bite and Heidi 3. Not bad at all in my book :)
Life is good ;)

Offline graham

• Super Member {over 100 posts}
« Reply #36 on: June 27, 2008, 12:54:18 PM »
We should be careful not to let everyone reading this think that Arillas is a resort full of drunken lunatics running naked except for mosquito proof socks around the place at three in the morning swinging towels around thier heads in some sort of bizarre mating ritual!!!!!

Citronella oil normally does the trick and it costs about a quarter of the other stuff!
A woman has the last word in any argument, anything a man says after that is the start of a new argument!

Offline garythebike

• Silver Medal {over 40 posts}
« Reply #37 on: June 27, 2008, 01:14:33 PM »
In agreement with Erja (hi Erja !), physical prevention is best, backed up by chemicals.
I used locally bought spray (red and yellow can, about 5 € ) allthough i've been told jungle formula lasts twice as long (also twice the price).

Offline Melissa_x

• Golden Medal {over 60 posts}
« Reply #38 on: June 27, 2008, 03:56:51 PM »
Would something such as Piriton allergy tablets not stop the itching? I almost get eaten when I go over there! x
TOO excited for my long awaited return to Arillas - Sept 2016!! :-D

Offline Erja

• Beer Quality controler
  • ARILLIAC
« Reply #39 on: June 27, 2008, 04:14:42 PM »
Would something such as Piriton allergy tablets not stop the itching? I almost get eaten when I go over there! x

I started on Histec (anti histamine tablets) about a month before and the one bite that I got wasn't as itchy as it could of been.
Life is good ;)

Offline Melissa_x

« Reply #40 on: June 27, 2008, 04:16:31 PM »
Oh so you have to start taking them prior to going? Cause Ive only got 2 weeks before I go, were yours just like over the counter? Or were they prescribed?

Offline Erja

• Beer Quality controler
  • ARILLIAC
« Reply #41 on: June 27, 2008, 04:19:09 PM »
I actually got mine from Finland. I would check with your phamacist if you can take Piriton in advance.

Get Jungle Formula as well and remember to put it on in the evening :)
Life is good ;)

Offline Melissa_x

« Reply #42 on: June 27, 2008, 04:21:08 PM »
Thanks for your help Ill do that and Ill deffinately try the Jungle Forumla stuff :)

Offline graham

• Super Member {over 100 posts}
« Reply #43 on: June 27, 2008, 06:33:29 PM »
The little clickers that spark against your skin do a bit to stop the itching, apparently if you use them repeatedly on a bite they stimulate your body's antibodies into action and that stops the itching, however, prevention is better than the cure so use the jungle stuff first!
A woman has the last word in any argument, anything a man says after that is the start of a new argument!

Offline justlynn

• ARILLIAC
« Reply #44 on: June 27, 2008, 07:24:57 PM »
Spray all visible skin every evening

Yes, I did this but had to wash my hands while out, and guess what, I got a bite on my finger!

Booking.com