Author Topic: daft question  (Read 9490 times)

riggers

Re: daft question
« Reply #15 on: April 26, 2008, 09:12:30 PM »
Yes noticed that myself about modifying posts...

I am sure M n M won't mind..............

riggers.............

Offline Lindypops

• Arillas regular visitor
  • ARILLIAC
« Reply #16 on: April 26, 2008, 09:59:49 PM »
There was a place Eggy, but I`ve lost the details.
Lindypops.

Offline Eleni

• Irenes Villas
  • Bronze medal {over 20 posts}
  • Irenes Villas
    • Irenes Villas
« Reply #17 on: April 26, 2008, 11:13:47 PM »
Mosquito-nets are quite effective but in combination with the following strategies:

1) avoid to use "sweet perfumes"

2)avoid to have windows open together with lights that atract them (aircondition use
would be perfect to avoid them)

3)Mosquitos are hidden in the dark (under the tables,behind and under the beds etc)so whenever you are outside use an antimosquito
lotion on the feet (angles,etc)and prefer to wear long pair of trousers in light colours.Darc colours attract them for sure!

4)There are some special small antimsquitos staff that accept a tablet.If you plug them in ,then the specific smell which is produced can keep them away...

5)Spray your room in the evening before to go somewhere outside and close the window-doors.

6)When it s fresh and windy mosquitos are disapeared.The problem exists when it s
warm and humid

7)If you have a net above the bed make sure that it hasn t been trapped any mosquito
inside of it (it s the worst thing that may happens ,believe me)that s why  the net must never been fprgotten"open"even during the day.
8)If you will be beaten avoid scrathing and put on imediately amonia or a special ointment like FENISTIL  GEL to avoid the problem of contamination!

Some say that garlic smell keeps them away as well!

The above advises are the results of my long time experience and fights with them!

GOOD  LUCK!!!

ELENI

riggers

« Reply #18 on: April 26, 2008, 11:36:08 PM »
Hi Eleni.

Thankyou for your advice. :) . I will take note.

riggers................

Offline justphil

• ARILLIAC
  • Arillas is in my soul
« Reply #19 on: April 27, 2008, 01:30:51 PM »
Thanks Eleni. As I've said before they don't like me but they think Jen is dinner waiting on the table. She will take note of all you say. She was going to post this but her computer decided to lose the wireless connection. B****y new technology....

Best wishes
Phil

Offline TerryW

• ARILLIAC
« Reply #20 on: April 28, 2008, 12:29:52 AM »
Thanks for the information Eleni, but I have to ask one question that has "bugged" me since last year. Do the people who live and work in Arillas get bitten very often, and if so, do they have the same reactions to the bites as us tourists ie swelling and itching, or do their bodies get used to the bites?

I had never heard of Fenistil Gel before Eleni's post but after "Googling" it, it does seem to be a good substance to soothe the irritation of bites. I don't think it available in the UK, but it is available in Greece. Is it stocked in any of the shops in Arillas?

Cheers

TerryW

Offline Lindypops

• ARILLIAC
« Reply #21 on: April 28, 2008, 12:51:42 AM »
Terry, I think I`ve seen it in one shop. If my memory serves me right, I think it was next to the bakery. Also, the island used to be sprayed, but that stopped, I think, because of causing bad reactions etc.
Lindypops.

Offline blondegirl

• ARILLIAC
« Reply #22 on: April 28, 2008, 09:59:14 AM »
You are right L.Pops I have seen it there too.  I take germalene as it has an anaesthetic in it and also some 1% cortisone cream too, but I am not sure if you can put that on your face, you have to be careful with cortisone on your face.
If you want the rainbow, you gotta put up with the rain.

Offline Ang

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #23 on: April 28, 2008, 10:07:23 AM »
Fenistil is a strong antihistamine,  on the 2 occasions when I have had to have medical treatment for allergic reaction to the bites I have been given it by the doctors in tablet form and in a cream,Ive not seen it in Arillas only  in the chemist in Kavaddes I think, but will look out for it in Arillas.My advice to anyone who gets a bad reaction is to go see the doctor....I still have some tablets and a special cream that was made for me from last year so I will be taking these just in case,those 3 bites on my elbo cost me 50 euro last year, but that did include an injection of I dont know what,but after 24hrs the swelling in my arm had gone down.

But I too have often thought how these little beasts avoid the locals
Ang

Offline Eleni

• Irenes Villas
  • Irenes Villas
    • Irenes Villas
« Reply #24 on: April 28, 2008, 10:44:49 AM »
What i have noticed from my experience is that mosquitos are attracted more
from whiter and delicate skins like yours  and that they can easier cause allergical
reactions.
Baby s skins for example attracts them as well !

The climate parametres are diferent in each country so eachone of us is adjusted to
react accordingly!What i m trying to say is that "you" are getting sweat much more easier than we do ,so the "body smell" that attracts them in combination with your delicate skin is an obvious and "clear target for mosquitos!!!

As for Fenistil gel ,exists also in stick for easier use and you could find it almost everywhere even
to the mini-markets as it s no need for  doctor s prescription ! For external use is very
effective .For internal use as tablets it would be needed  a doctor s advice ofcourse.!!!

So ,it s true that we do have diferent reactions in mosquito bites (i m getting beaten as well but i never apeared to have "blusters" like many English people do!!!)

Thank you

Offline Ang

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #25 on: April 28, 2008, 04:54:15 PM »
Well all I can say is that the mozzies in malaysia,thailand, africa must like me better as I have never had the same reaction as I do in Corfu, must go buy my gallon of jungle formula tropical strength...
Ang

Offline himishere

« Reply #26 on: April 29, 2008, 04:03:29 PM »
The most effective method for dealing with mossies is to get them in a headlock, call them bad names or just go arround the room and kill them all before you go to bed. Seriously though advoid smothering yourself in perfume and aftershave, find neutral anti perspirants.

Booking.com