Author Topic: Easter in Arillas  (Read 14935 times)

Offline Fiona

• Arillas regular visitor
  • Arillas Addict
Easter in Arillas
« on: April 25, 2008, 01:33:59 AM »
We would like to wish everyone in Arillas a Very Happy Easter and hope you all enjoy wonderful celebrations over the weekend.

Special wishes and love to Bebis Kourkoulos for his first Easter!

Fiona and Roy

Offline justphil

• ARILLIAC
  • Arillas is in my soul
Re: Easter in Arillas
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2008, 02:28:15 AM »
We echo that, Fiona. Jen and me wish all our friends in Arillas a very happy Easter, a wonderful weekend celebration and the best season ever.

And a special greeting to the two forum babies who are 100% made in Arillas and are having their first time! For Gotty & Liz and Dimitris & Litsa, special wishes.

Phil and Jenny

Offline Sandy x

• Sandy
  • ARILLIAC
  • Kouklospito
« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2008, 10:39:36 PM »
On the Thursday before Easter I was in Corfu Town and saw lots of lovely bright red pots for sale in the streets.....thought one would look good at the house but was told these are the pots that are thown from the roof tops on Saturday morning to celebrate Easter! We decided against Corfu Town on the Saturday, where most of the action seems to take place, as although my father is fairly robust, I didn't think he could cope with the crowds and I was worried we may have to walk miles from wherever we could park the car....another time....

Instead we went up to the church in Arillas on the Saturday evening. We were told the service started at 11pm so like good British tourists we arrived at 1055 to find the place deserted. Had we got the wrong day?? Then I spotted Dennis (owner of Perry and Jimmy's behind the Rainbow) who turned out to be a leading light in the church and one of the main singers....dark horse that one. He assured me it would all be happening soon so we went into the church where about 6 people were assembled. A few more trickled in, all carrying long candles of different colours, which I had seen on sale in all the shops. (Also saw lots of Kalo Paska painted on the streets, and some special lights in some of the villages....)

At about 1130, four men started to sing (no music) and this went on for about 25 minutes (sorry....didn't understand any of it) during which time a steady flow of people came through the door. Everyone chattered to each other throughout. I recognised a lot of local people from Arillas, all very smartly dressed in suits and the women in high heels and stylish outfits. I had to hide behind a pillar in my jeans and trainers......We noticed lots of the men seemed to be gathering at the front and there were several priests who all looked very busy. Candle holders were handed round (giant versions of the ones we put on birthday cakes) and suddnely there was a flame at the front of the church, all the men seemed to rush to light their candles and then they went round lighting everyone elses. So suddnely the church was aglow with candlelight. After a few more words, a procession started and evryone went out of the churh into the square and the procession went round the church about three times. By now it was midnight and I was waiting for people to shout "Kristos aneste....alithos aneste"....Christ is risen,truly risen.....I had been practising all afternoon but must have missed the cue because it passed me by!

There was a wonderful warm atmosphere in the square with a huge crowd and everyone hugging each other and for days people were saying Kronia polla all the time. Then the priest indicated that the service was moving back into the church and would continue till 1am. However, only the stalwarts remained (I wasn't one I'm afraid). Most people just made their way back down into the village. The Brouklis family was there (minus Bebis) and even Babis had come home to be with his mum for Easter, looking very distinguished in his suit (a change from those tight red swimming trunks.....)

Although it was all very informal it was clearly a very special occasion for everyone and I felt honoured that everyone made us feel so welcome....another Arillas memory for me.

Next day we went for a drive, and as we went through the villages there were lambs roasting on spits everywhere and families having big gatherings in their gardens.....I dread to think how many lambs were cooked that day!
Sandy x

Offline TerryW

• ARILLIAC
« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2008, 12:53:13 AM »
Hi Sandy

That was a wonderful description of the church service. I could picture it in my head as I read it, and I would love to have the same experience and spend an Easter in Arillas.

Offline justphil

• ARILLIAC
  • Arillas is in my soul
« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2008, 02:14:54 AM »
Thanks, Sandy. It was almost my own Easter experience as Terry said.

One day soon it will be real...

Phil

Offline Gotty & Liz

• Golden Medal {over 60 posts}
« Reply #5 on: April 29, 2011, 11:38:30 AM »

And a special greeting to the two forum babies who are 100% made in Arillas and are having their first time! For Gotty & Liz and Dimitris & Litsa, special wishes.

Thanks phil

Offline Janis

• ARILLIAC
« Reply #6 on: April 29, 2011, 08:18:07 PM »
Thank you, Sandy, for such a wonderful description! I wish we'd been there.....

Janis x

Offline justphil

• ARILLIAC
  • Arillas is in my soul
« Reply #7 on: April 29, 2011, 09:00:14 PM »
Did anyone notice that was 2008? I am so glad that 3 years haven't changed one little bit of how people feel about Arillas at Easter. I remembered reading it then, but it could apply just the same today.

Now that's saved Sandy bothering with a report when she comes abroad, back to the UK.....

Phil

Phil

Offline Janis

• ARILLIAC
« Reply #8 on: April 30, 2011, 02:30:33 AM »
OMG! I didn't notice that it was 2008 - thanks for pointing it out, Phil!   I got carried away, enjoying Sandy's description of Easter in Arillas.

I feel a bit of an idiot now - you can deleted posts on FB....

Ah well - I hope everyone had a wonderful Easter - in Arillas and everywhere else - and look forward to being back there very soon!

Three weeks today........

Janis x

Offline justphil

• ARILLIAC
  • Arillas is in my soul
« Reply #9 on: April 30, 2011, 03:04:56 AM »
Janis meluvver, this ressurection has shown just how much we have all changed over these last few years. Sandy has nearly become a resident, Maggie and Gordon have become fully paid up residents and Egg and Wegg have survived. GOODONTHEMALL!

Three years is a long time. The tone has changed too. People are struggling with prices of stuff, but in the end we will all keep our Arilliac lives.

Phil

Offline Val n Bill

• ARILLIAC
« Reply #10 on: April 30, 2011, 07:24:00 PM »
Don't fret Janis, Gotty and Liz made the first mistake,you just followed all the lovely posts.

Val x
The love affair continues.

Offline justphil

• ARILLIAC
  • Arillas is in my soul
« Reply #11 on: April 30, 2011, 08:25:20 PM »
Pe Gottero and his lovely wife Liz usually stay with Kostas at the top of the Hill, between Arillas and San Stefanos. If they made a mistake it was drinking the water (lol - just read earlier posts!) Little Fillipo was 100% an Arillas baby, just like Jozef and Maria's Timea. Let there be many more!   

There is such an archive to read on this website. Try trawling through Tell us your story.... I've read them all, but then I'm mad, or so they keep telling me. Roll on July when I can forget about the website and be there for real.

Phil

Offline Val n Bill

• ARILLIAC
« Reply #12 on: April 30, 2011, 08:49:51 PM »

Like you Phil.... I too spend hours reading old posts, makes me feel I know people better,even when I've never (yet) met most them.

Best Wishes friend,love to Jen
                                 Val x
The love affair continues.

Offline justlynn

• ARILLIAC
« Reply #13 on: April 30, 2011, 11:15:18 PM »
Don't worry, Janis, it's SO easily done!  Especially when someone else has just revived it...

lynn xx

Offline Janis

• ARILLIAC
« Reply #14 on: April 30, 2011, 11:31:26 PM »
Thanks for your support - BUT I enjoyed Sandy's post but obviously didn't read the content properly... I was focusing on the Easter part of it but not the people/baby part - that really should have given the game away!

Ah well, tail between legs I slink off... (Not really, lol)

Janis x

Booking.com