Author Topic: Easter in Arillas  (Read 14954 times)

Offline JohnJ

• Arillas regular visitor
  • Super Member {over 100 posts}
Re: Easter in Arillas
« Reply #15 on: May 03, 2011, 04:10:26 PM »
Although it was a long time ago, Sandy's report on Easter reminds Ann and I of our trip to Corfu for the wedding of Dimiti and Vasoo of the Rainbow back in 2000 or maybe 2001, cant quite remember.  Any way it was as Sandy described but far busier as we went up to the church at the top of Avloites and were accompanied by all of the Anthis family and friends plus Vasoo' family and friends for the Saturday night service.  Apart from being much busier than the one in Affionnas it had the additional factors of:
Parading the effigy of St spiro (sorry cant spell the full name) around the church three time and at the end of the parade the throwing of many sticks of DYNAMITE!!!.  Frightened the life out of us as no one had warned us what was going to happen.  Still a great occasion and when I Queried the tremndously loud bangs was told  " OH THEY JUST LIGHT DYNAMITE AND THROW IT IN THE AIR. When I said wasn't that quite dangerous I was told "oh not really but we do have many people up here with a few fingers missing"  Hows that for Corfiot humour?
JohnJ
JOHN JOHNSON

Offline Sandy x

• Sandy
  • ARILLIAC
  • Kouklospito
« Reply #16 on: May 07, 2011, 09:07:42 PM »
Sounds good John....

Well, I did the trip up to the church again this year on the Saturday evening and the report still stands....except that this time young Spiros was there with his mum and dad! It's a wonderful atmosphere but it always amazes me how they chat all through the service whereas my memories of church here as a child are that it was all deadly serious and you had to sit still and silent. I also forgot to mention last time the fireworks that they light just after midnight....fantastic.
Sandy x

Offline justphil

• ARILLIAC
  • Arillas is in my soul
« Reply #17 on: May 07, 2011, 09:24:03 PM »
Jen and I would so have loved to have been there, especially now the Kourkoulos family were there together as little Spiros is growing up. He is a gorgeous little Greek boy.

Told you all that Sandy would be saved from writing a report! My instincts told me it would "still stand!" I am so glad that it worked out that way.

Not sure about the dynamite though. Fireworks are one thing but.... still wish we'd been there.

Phil

Offline JohnJ

« Reply #18 on: May 10, 2011, 03:16:10 PM »
Hi Sandy,
                have to agree with you about all the talking during the church service.  It was just the same at Dimitri's wedding and people even wandered in and out of the church during the sevice for a smoke!!!
JohnJ
JOHN JOHNSON

Offline vivian

• Vivian
  • ARILLIAC
  • Stay Nude it ant Rude
    • http://www.holmvalley.com
« Reply #19 on: May 11, 2011, 09:46:12 AM »
Hi John, What amazed me about Dimitris & Litsa's wedding was the way my Pete was allowed to wander around to take the photo's even into the pulpit and at one time between the papas and the couple to take a close up of the ring on Litsa's finger and then the way he was asked to go into the private room to take some more. I loved it all and the ways the children gave the rice out and then came and asked us if they could have any left so they could throw some more, that really amuzed me. Viv

Stay Nude it ante rude

Offline JohnJ

« Reply #20 on: June 01, 2011, 03:51:58 PM »
Yes VIV it all sounds exactly like Dimitri's (Rainbow) wedding and we could not get over how hard they throw the rice. It really stung, but all good fun and great traditions.
JohnJ
JOHN JOHNSON

Offline vivian

• Vivian
  • ARILLIAC
  • Stay Nude it ant Rude
« Reply #21 on: June 01, 2011, 05:56:30 PM »
Yes I was reminded ho hard they trow the rice was when Pete and I had our blessing in May 1009, had it everywhere and a piece was in my hair for 24hrs (even tough I had combed it)lol. Viv

Stay Nude it ante rude

Offline Gotty & Liz

• Golden Medal {over 60 posts}
« Reply #22 on: October 11, 2011, 05:54:44 PM »
Pe Gottero and his lovely wife Liz usually stay with Kostas at the top of the Hill, between Arillas and San Stefanos. If they made a mistake it was drinking the water (lol - just read earlier posts!) Little Fillipo was 100% an Arillas baby, just like Jozef and Maria's Timea. Let there be many more!   

There is such an archive to read on this website. Try trawling through Tell us your story.... I've read them all, but then I'm mad, or so they keep telling me. Roll on July when I can forget about the website and be there for real.

Phil

Holy Words

Offline vivian

• Vivian
  • ARILLIAC
  • Stay Nude it ant Rude
« Reply #23 on: June 10, 2012, 01:05:27 PM »
I know these are old post but like several of you I love going over them every now and again, especially this one as Pete and I will be in Alillas for Easter 2013. Love Viv.
PS Sandy and Elieen, if you think of anything else we should know like boiling red eggs and when please e-mail me or send pm Love to you both Viv & Pete

Stay Nude it ante rude

Offline vivian

• Vivian
  • ARILLIAC
  • Stay Nude it ant Rude
« Reply #24 on: June 10, 2012, 09:19:07 PM »
No we wont we will be in Arillas.lol. Vivx

Stay Nude it ante rude

Offline kes

• Forum Fanatic
  • Relax
    • Relax in Arillas
« Reply #25 on: September 14, 2012, 09:18:29 PM »
I know these are old post but like several of you I love going over them every now and again, especially this one as Pete and I will be in Alillas for Easter 2013. Love Viv.
PS Sandy and Elieen, if you think of anything else we should know like boiling red eggs and when please e-mail me or send pm Love to you both Viv & Pete
Hi Viv we also will be in Arillas for Easter 2013...never been at Easter before.....same old faces ..haHa..

Offline Sandy x

• Sandy
  • ARILLIAC
  • Kouklospito
« Reply #26 on: September 14, 2012, 09:35:54 PM »
I'll be there for Easter 2013 so look forward to seeing you and Viv then....
Sandy x

Offline vivian

• Vivian
  • ARILLIAC
  • Stay Nude it ant Rude
« Reply #27 on: September 15, 2012, 05:25:45 PM »
How funny that kath & kes will be there we are both normaly later. Thought you would be Sandy but didnt think their would be many that we know apart from the locals. Love Viv.

Stay Nude it ante rude

Offline justphil

• ARILLIAC
  • Arillas is in my soul
« Reply #28 on: September 15, 2012, 05:50:10 PM »
So wish we could join you viv, Sandy, kes & Kath. Easter is such a special time there. I think it is very late this year, almost into the season. From what I've read it is in early May. Was very surprised, so please correct me if this is wrong - I love to follow it all.

Sadly, if I give up the job I can't afford to come, and if I keep it I can't come anyway. Only 5 years to wait. Will seem like a lifetime. Something will change before then.

Phil

Offline Sandy x

• Sandy
  • ARILLIAC
  • Kouklospito
« Reply #29 on: September 15, 2012, 05:52:16 PM »
Yes Phil, it is late next year. Beginning of May.....Thought you'd retired once!!
Sandy x

Booking.com