Author Topic: Evenings in May  (Read 15878 times)

Offline justphil

• Arillas regular visitor
  • ARILLIAC
  • Arillas is in my soul
Re: Evenings in May
« Reply #15 on: May 05, 2008, 06:19:22 PM »
Thanks BBB. Loved reading your post. The only other info we have on January is Eggy's. What did you do with yourselves? Mon amour? Sky TV? On the forum? We don't do cold much - the very mention of heating oil sends us into a spin....

Love to hear from real veterans! Every month is quite an achievement.

We also do a "siesta" in the heat of July/Aug, but usually happens in the morning, we don't get up till 12 and sit in a bar till 3, then think about the beach... Then we visit Giannis and Litsa at Thalassa, eat and then head for the Coconut. If you were there, I was the silly old boy dancing the night away....

We have plans to live over there forever, so one day soon we will also be able to say "every month." just like Negg and Wegg.

Enjoy May - we'll be with you in spirit

Phil

Offline kes

• Forum Fanatic
  • Relax
    • Relax in Arillas
« Reply #16 on: May 05, 2008, 08:06:17 PM »
regulars in may and can get cooler in the evening  ..jumper a wise option...

Offline BBB

• Super Member {over 100 posts}
« Reply #17 on: May 05, 2008, 08:38:48 PM »
Thanks Phil, I could go on and on. If you look at my previous posts (only 26) you will find a post I made on the Arillas Today thread while there in January and also how we found Arillas.
The trip in January was wonderful. We were lucky to have a sunny rain free week. We have oil central heating and an open fireplace but during the day we had all the doors and windows wide open and sat on the terrace in t-shirts. The house is south facing and whoever built the original house in 1922 picked a perfect spot with shelter from the winds. The house has very thick walls and was very cosy. We ate out at Mon Amour, Amourada and the new bistro in San Stef called the Beachcomber. We also cooked at home as the shop and bakery are close by. We don't have TV, phone or internet yet but I did take the laptop to Brouklis. We still found loads to do as our Greek friends and neighbours had so much more time for us.

Good luck with your plans.

BBB

Offline Ang

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #18 on: May 05, 2008, 10:32:40 PM »
BBB sometimes good posts such as yours get missed..you have kept a low key for your own reasons and I respect that.We will be there 1st week of June which will still require a fleece for the late evenings...especially as I will be on the back of quad(easy mode of transport for me other half with his ickle problems)and it prevents those that want a bite  out of me....
Ang

Offline PaulnMaria

« Reply #19 on: May 06, 2008, 01:13:20 AM »
We spend most of our time walking during our September visit so it's good to hear that it is perfect walking weather in May.

BBB
How lucky you are to have your own place in Arillas - but I guess you know that already. We've often wondered what it is like during the winter months so your posts have made interesting reading.

Offline lynne

• Golden Medal {over 60 posts}
« Reply #20 on: May 07, 2008, 08:20:43 AM »
Heck what a small world Paulnmaria we from Billingham too maybe we'll see you there we flying 26th May when you going :)
lynne

Offline PaulnMaria

« Reply #21 on: May 07, 2008, 10:02:54 AM »
Lynne
Small world indeed! 
Unfortunately we are just in Arillas for 1 week from May 9th so will miss you this time.

Offline lynne

• Golden Medal {over 60 posts}
« Reply #22 on: May 08, 2008, 10:03:34 AM »
Thats a shame have a lovely time :)
lynne

Offline Eggy

• On the Spot reporter
  • ARILLIAC
« Reply #23 on: May 08, 2008, 07:03:17 PM »
Paul n Maria

Keeping an "Egg Eye" on the last weeks weather I think it it wise to bring a sweat shirt each. Mornings can start  cold, around 16 deg but move quickly to 24/25 deg by early afternoon. However the temp does drop very quickly in the evening.

There are not many people eating outside, about 8 ish/9 ish, at the moment.

It's 22 deg in the shade at 7 pm now but I think will be around 19deg in a couple of hours time. - Hope this helps.

All this info could be totally redundant in a few days time and worth diddley squat.

Cheers
Negg

Offline Sandy x

• Sandy
  • ARILLIAC
  • Kouklospito
« Reply #24 on: May 08, 2008, 08:27:00 PM »
Having just got back, I totally agree with Eggy's remarks. I always take a cardigan even in August - because I find the plane so cold.

The positive thing though is that the fireflies are already out....we saw them several evenings.
Sandy x

riggers

« Reply #25 on: May 08, 2008, 09:51:27 PM »
Yes i always take a light jacket for the plane. Hope i will not be needing to wear it at night in June though.

Nice to know the Fireflies are out.

riggers............

Offline BBB

« Reply #26 on: May 20, 2008, 03:15:00 PM »
Having just spent 12 days in Arillas I have to say that we certainly needed our warm clothes and our umbrellas this year in May.
When we first arrived after the late Easyjet flight we put the central heating on and hot water bottles in the bed and did the same on other evenings too. The days were lovely, either very sunny or part cloudy but we had some rain as well.
We're not complaining even though we left a heatwave in the UK. The holiday finished with gusty winds and yesterday an amazing hailstone storm which left everything covered in yellow dust.
The fireflies this year were amazing, every evening. One day a field opposite us was ploughed and later that evening it was a sea of fireflies. On arriving home each night we sat on the verandah to watch them, listening to the frogs and Scops owl.
Paul and Maria...hope you had a good holiday and were warm in your sweatshirts!
BBB

Offline justphil

• ARILLIAC
  • Arillas is in my soul
« Reply #27 on: May 20, 2008, 03:38:26 PM »
Thanks for the update BBB. Seems from yours and other posts, it is quite a different Arillas in May and June. Sadly we have never been able to be there then (term time) but would have loved it just as much from what you say. Yellow dust and fireflies.... sounds a bit like a kid's fairy tale!

We hope to see it all year round soon, and it is so useful to know what to expect. Will get one step nearer this summer. Will be spending half of July and all of September, and then who knows....

Best wishes
Phil

Offline PaulnMaria

« Reply #28 on: May 22, 2008, 01:35:08 AM »
Thanks everyone for the advice - we certainly needed jumpers for the evenings as they were quite cool. Also took a woollen wrap which came in handy and doubled as an excellent blanket on the plane!

We had a lovely time BBB. As you mentioned the fireflies were spectacular. We have never seen them before. They reminded us of white fairy lights strung out across the fields. We'll definitely be visiting Arillas again next May but will try to make it 2 weeks as 1 just doesn't seem long enough.

PaulnMaria

Booking.com