Author Topic: exchange rate  (Read 136155 times)

Offline martin-w

• Arillas regular visitor
  • Forum Fanatic
  • Arillas, my second home!
Re: exchange rate
« Reply #195 on: December 13, 2008, 02:36:22 PM »
Hi All!
All this financial talk is sooo depressing.
The way I look at it is 'its only money'. What are the alternatives. Sit at home, go on holiday in the U.K. and pay over the odds and get dubious weather or go 'home' to Arillas where we know we will have a good time and the weather to match! No contest!
The latest figures show that those with moderate saveings are now moving out of the U.K. to destinations abroad. Thinking of joining them myself. This mob in government or the alternatives, seem to give it all to those who have already enjoyed themselves by getting into debt both in the personal and corporate fields, leaving the prudent high and dry!
Ill get off my soap box now. At least we havent been 'euronated upon' yet! Can they adopt the euro without a vote?
Yammas,
Martin.

Offline angiem

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #196 on: December 13, 2008, 02:51:41 PM »
seem to give it all to those who have already enjoyed themselves by getting into debt both in the personal and corporate fields, leaving the prudent high and dry!

Well Martin, we are in debt but certainly did not "enjoy ourselves" getting there and I resent the implication that it's all our own fault!! The reason is, we run a retail business and people have stopped buying. The so-called 'help' that the government are giving to small businesses is of little use to us!
I hope you enjoy your next holiday in Arillas . I suppose it's too much to ask of you to spare a thought for those of us who can barely afford to buy any Christmas presents, let alone book a holiday.

Offline martin-w

• Forum Fanatic
  • Arillas, my second home!
« Reply #197 on: December 13, 2008, 04:05:39 PM »
Angiem,
I did not intend to upset anyone with my comments, which I intended to be a sarcastic stab at all them in charge have been saying over the last few days. Did you see Question time this week?
I have been there, got the badge, the T shirt and the mug. I am retired on a small pension and having raised my family and put the three of them through uni without any help. Just when I thought things were improving we all have been placed in this viscious circle of declining interest rates and worry. My daughter has her own business and I know how hard she has been hit by it all.
Again, sorry to have upset you,
Martin.

Offline blondegirl

• ARILLIAC
« Reply #198 on: December 13, 2008, 05:16:12 PM »
I think we are all entitled to a bit of a moan now and again.

We are in the process of sorting out finances for my mother in law recently widowed and I never knew what a minefield it is out there for benefits etc...how much one benefit relates to another etc..all based on NI payments and savings. She didnt even qualify the for £2,000 bereavement payout, her widows pension is taken into consideration I was told, they dont tell you that in the small print!   Apparently there are millions unclaimed benefits for those widowed etc but I can understand why as its so complicated and might seem a waste of time as it can take 12 weeks I am told, so what do you do in the meantime if you have no money.  So far they have all been very helpful and good but it has "opened my eyes", we are just grateful for the help they can give and have facilities to do so... but for how long. 

As Mike is self employed and has lost some big contracts at the moment our holiday bookings are on hold for that reason and also because we are looking out for mum now and cant look that far ahead yet.  Might just have to wait for a last minute and go when we can.  It wont be as cheap for us as it has been the last few years I fear.

Things never stay the same and we would be silly to think so, who knows what the next 6 months will bring.  It will probably get worse like it did before-  bulk buying loo rolls soon!  Perish the thought of stock piling loo rolls again, mind you I couldnt bear the thought of not having any!  What else was everyone stockpiling?  I remember butter (why?)

You do have to have some sense of humor in all of this.
If you want the rainbow, you gotta put up with the rain.

Offline justphil

• ARILLIAC
  • Arillas is in my soul
« Reply #199 on: December 13, 2008, 06:01:13 PM »
I so agree BG

You do have to have some sense of humor in all of this.

Our plans have been dramatically altered by the economic situation and in particular the exchange rate. We feel so sorry for those who like Eggy said, are in the middle of building a dream in Arillas and find not only the cost of living in UK heading skywards, but also their build in Corfu. We never planned to build initially, just rent and pay for it with the rent we get on our house here. But even that looks dicey for 2009, so we sadly recognise 2010 is more likely. I have taken part time work starting January to bolster our finances. But I am the lucky one - there will always be students at College and work for me.

We will be in Arillas next year whatever it takes. At the moment 3 weeks in July looks most likely, but like this year we will grab whatever comes along. We managed six weeks this year and want to do better than that next. But at 1 pound = 1 euro, it is just a dream.

But like BG says - Jen and me will keep smiling, keep loving, and keep laughing.
Phil

Offline angiem

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #200 on: December 13, 2008, 06:03:54 PM »
Angiem,
I did not intend to upset anyone with my comments, which I intended to be a sarcastic stab at all them in charge have been saying over the last few days.  .....
Again, sorry to have upset you,
Martin.

Hi Martin,

I'm sorry too for my response.

Having spent all week in the shop with very little to show for it, it was just a knee jerk reaction!

You made some very valid comments.

Angie

Offline Eggy

• On the Spot reporter
  • ARILLIAC
« Reply #201 on: December 13, 2008, 07:49:02 PM »
The only good news here in Corfu is that the price of unleaded has dropped to around 88 cents per litre and heating oil comes in at 58 cents a litre ( 85 cents last year )

How does the petrol , around 80 pence, compare with the UK now?

Negg

Offline patrickjohn

• Lincolnshire Yellow Belly
  • ARILLIAC
  • PJM
« Reply #202 on: December 13, 2008, 08:13:00 PM »
Hi Negg
Petrol at Tesco's (Lincoln) this week 88pence per litre with deisel at 99.9ppl.  However having spent over £50 on groceries had a voucher for 5 pence a litre off!
Much better than a few weeks ago thank goodness.
PJ

My book"A Policemance Tale" at Amazon
https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B0B8BD9MWM

Offline TONYNEW

• Arillas 2016
  • Forum Fanatic
  • Dionysos
    • Tonys webshots
« Reply #203 on: December 13, 2008, 08:19:42 PM »
Petrol at Morrisons is now 87p per litre and diesel 99.9 p per litre a big drop from a few months ago

Offline TONYNEW

• Arillas 2016
  • Forum Fanatic
  • Dionysos
    • Tonys webshots
« Reply #204 on: December 13, 2008, 08:26:32 PM »
I,m not sure if this has been brought up but Gorden Browns government looks like its about to drop another bombshell,an extra £62 on your council tax if you have a tree house for kids in your garden a summerhouse conservatory or green house
WHAT NEXT !!!!
The mind boggles http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1092700/Now-treehouse-push-council-tax.html

Offline blondegirl

• ARILLIAC
« Reply #205 on: December 14, 2008, 01:15:30 AM »
Ha! Ha!  Ha! Ha!!    I said we had to have a sense of humor!  Does a shed count!
If you want the rainbow, you gotta put up with the rain.

Offline TONYNEW

• Arillas 2016
  • Forum Fanatic
  • Dionysos
    • Tonys webshots
« Reply #206 on: December 14, 2008, 08:20:20 AM »
It looks like sheds count BG ,whats next a tax on your garden fence lol

Offline Jo Wissett

• ARILLIAC
« Reply #207 on: December 14, 2008, 09:09:12 PM »
As forumers will know, we have recently booked our flights at a brill price but know that really we cannot afford even that, never mind accomm and spends! We find that we are robbing peter to pay paul and seriously worry that it will all come crashing down! BUT...WE had a rubbish year last year with both of us being very ill and so I just thought SOD IT! They cant take it away once we have enjoyed it (my house however they can :-().

People who say that money doesn't solve everything are lying. I would like to give it a bloody good try.  At this rate we will be paying our mortgage off until we are 80!

Offline Erja

• Beer Quality controler
  • ARILLIAC
  • Royal Ionian Gold...amber nectar, only better ;)
« Reply #208 on: December 14, 2008, 09:43:38 PM »
You are so right Jo, you need a break from it all (every day, illness and money worries).

Keep on buying that lottery ticket, as that is the only magic wand available. I know I will :)
Life is good ;)

Offline kes

• Forum Fanatic
  • Relax
    • Relax in Arillas
« Reply #209 on: December 14, 2008, 10:06:34 PM »
Life is a roller coaster...Healh is No:1  ...anyhing else that comes along is a bonus!!!

Booking.com