Author Topic: exchange rate  (Read 136507 times)

Offline Lindypops

• Arillas regular visitor
  • ARILLIAC
Re: exchange rate
« Reply #210 on: December 14, 2008, 11:17:20 PM »
You`re not wrong Kes.
Lindypops.

Offline martin-w

• Forum Fanatic
  • Arillas, my second home!
« Reply #211 on: December 16, 2008, 02:44:48 PM »
Hi All,
We just have to 'hang' in there and brave the financial blast. Hope it doesn't last too long.
Just had a 'phone call from Dorita at the B.S. hotel confirming my booking for 8th. May 2009. Gone up to €100/week which is still good value considering the state of things. They are all concerned about the exchange rate too.
Blondegirl, I know what you are saying about benefits and dealing with getting what you are entitled to! When I lost my Ann, there seemed to be a maze of forms and nobody seemed to want to help! I only found out about berevement benefit some three months after, more by luck than anything else. One tip. When it comes to filling in that 'deceased tax return' form, it used to be 28 pages of absloute c..p, if you go to your local tax inspector they will usually go through it all with you and fill it in as you go. There are so many boxes that don't apply. One thing I leaned in the process is that nobody will, or seems to be able to advise you on what you can claim for. There are no leaflets or guides. It seems if you are 'signed on' as a 'job seeker' or  already recieving benefit you will get assistance, the rest of us are left to wade through it unguided!
Angiem,the end of a 'perfect' day syndrome! Hope things get better for you. Here's to a prosperous 2009!
Lets all think of Arillas, warm sunshine,good company, good food and peace for a couple of weeks! Wont make it all go away, but it helps.
Yammas,
Martin.

Offline patrickjohn

• Lincolnshire Yellow Belly
  • ARILLIAC
  • PJM
« Reply #212 on: December 16, 2008, 05:34:33 PM »
Well said Martin.  Quite agree - looking forward to sunny days in Arillas is the best medicine.
PJ

My book"A Policemance Tale" at Amazon
https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B0B8BD9MWM

Offline Jennifer Ferguson

• Super Member {over 100 posts}
« Reply #213 on: December 17, 2008, 11:33:27 AM »
Take it from someone's whose husband was made redundant at the end of April that being 'signed on' as a 'job seeker' is not a passport or magic key that automatically opens the door to a world of benefits,information,support or retraining.

I fear the way things are going many others will sadly find this out for themselves.

Offline harold

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #214 on: December 17, 2008, 08:50:34 PM »
jen you must be wrong,the newspapers tell us differently.Serious now you are correct people read in the press how all these people want to be on the dole and get even free holidays,It is total rot you might get a few but the majority are everyday people who are a bit confussed by being made redundant and having to sign on.I lost my job in April 2003 through ill health and because i was waiting for another job did not clain any money for a whole year,i was lucky i had a good package and Sally was working,i did get a job at Xmas at Sainsbury's while i was waiting for my job to come up.Eveb went to Arillas for 2 weeks in the May.
Harold,
Theres only one Altrincham FC

Offline Jennifer Ferguson

« Reply #215 on: December 17, 2008, 10:16:50 PM »
Now Harold,as the saying goes,you shouldn't believe everything you read in the paper.
Joking apart,like you and many others Alistair took a couple of temp short term jobs until he got a permanent-well as permanent as anything can be just now-job in September.Poor guy is probably freezing airside at Edinburgh Airport as I type.I'll let him see Terry's fabulous Arillas Christmas Card when he gets home.Hopefully the pictures in the sunshine will help thaw him out.

Offline Eggy

• On the Spot reporter
  • ARILLIAC
« Reply #216 on: December 19, 2008, 06:40:27 PM »
I've just heard from a customer of mine, in the UK, that agreed to buy a lovely plot of land, near Arillas, in September when the exchange was e1.27. Her sale has now gone through and she got e1.01. She has to wait now to build her funds for a build.

She now would love to sell a third of it to fund her build. A good opportunity for those who would like an 800/900 metre area to build a house. And a bit cheaper as it would have a shared access etc, etc.
You don't see under 1000 square metre plots for sale so this could be a good deal for someone.

Sorry to use this as a little advertising but, when you're involved in somebodies dream that starts to turn sour you must do all you can to help.
PM's only if interested and I will put you in touch with her.

On another note, just thought of, I wonder how the poor exchange will affect Appt owners linked with Tour Ops? If a tour op pays an appt owner a set fee for all rooms for the season surely this means they are now paying more euros? I'm not a financial wizard but if 77p bought 1 euro and now 98p buys 1 euro will Tour Ops put pressure on these owners to take less as they are paying more?
Will hoilday prices increase yet again. - The mind boggles.
Stay Well All
Negg

Offline Geoffrey with a "G"

« Reply #217 on: December 20, 2008, 11:22:05 AM »
If a tour op pays an appt owner a set fee for all rooms for the season

would think fees are agreed in euros Eggy
Geoffrey with a `G´

Offline Eggy

• On the Spot reporter
  • ARILLIAC
« Reply #218 on: December 20, 2008, 02:58:47 PM »
Quite right Geoffrey, but if they negotiate a figure of, for example 3000 euros don't they still have to exchange the pounds to pay that?

Does that mean that prices will increase or they try and negotiate for a better deal?

Cheers
Negg

Offline Geoffrey with a "G"

« Reply #219 on: December 20, 2008, 07:24:18 PM »
probably does mean that the holiday companies offer less for new contracts, but they often do that anyway, unfortunately for our friends over there.
Geoffrey with a `G´

Offline TONYNEW

• Arillas 2016
  • Forum Fanatic
  • Dionysos
    • Tonys webshots
« Reply #220 on: December 23, 2008, 10:25:29 AM »
Hi Folks heres a code for Thomson Hols if you spend over £750 the code is 2996 and you save £100 it works as i tried it yesterday,it is valid until 26/12/08
                   Tony

riggers

« Reply #221 on: December 30, 2008, 12:38:59 PM »
Well the rate has dropped to a very worrying 0.99 now. It' been on the news and in papers as you probably know, holidaymakers will be looking at going to Turkey, Egypt, Tunisia etc next year to try and beat this.

riggers.....

Offline Lindypops

• ARILLIAC
« Reply #222 on: December 30, 2008, 01:15:41 PM »
True enough riggers. Went to Turkey once!
Lindypops.

riggers

« Reply #223 on: December 30, 2008, 07:53:45 PM »
Me too Lindy but never again. Nor to any of the other Countries. Ah well we will have to hope this rate goes up. Already booked for Arillas twice next year. :)

riggers...............

Offline Sandy x

• Sandy
  • ARILLIAC
  • Kouklospito
« Reply #224 on: December 30, 2008, 08:58:31 PM »
Surely the euro has to drop in value at some point? After all, there is a recession all over Europe as well as in the UK....but I'm no economist. Just an eternal optimist.....
Sandy x

Booking.com