Author Topic: HELP! TRAVELLERS CHEQUES OR EUROS?  (Read 9996 times)

Offline JulieW

HELP! TRAVELLERS CHEQUES OR EUROS?
« on: May 23, 2008, 05:54:31 PM »
Hi All,

We are off to Arillas on the 7th July and are wondering whether we would be better off getting our spending money in euros before we leave and not bothering with travellers cheques due to the poor exchange rate.  Has anybody been to Arillas lately, if so could they let us know what exchange rate we would get for our travellers cheques.  Thanks for all your help and advice,  Can't wait for our hols, counting the days.   

Cheers

Julie

Offline Sandy x

• Sandy
  • Arillas regular visitor
  • ARILLIAC
  • Kouklospito
Re: HELP! TRAVELLERS CHEQUES OR EUROS?
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2008, 06:15:44 PM »
I think you will find numerous threads on this topic already....the general feeling seems to be that traveller's cheques are unnecessary in a place like Arillas. My view has always been that you get a poorer rate of exchange in the UK but don't pay commission and vice versa in Corfu. The best way is with a Nationwide debit card at the ATM in Arillas (no commission and good rate of exchange) but some people worry the machine may run out!
Sandy x

Offline annie

• Super Member {over 100 posts}
« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2008, 11:12:07 PM »
Hi
We always take a mixture of Euro cash and Euro Travellers cheques. i am normally charged 2% to change them and we also hire a safe deposit box. My husband wont enjoy the holiday if he is worried about the money. So it is s small price to pay for peace of mind. I also have a Nationwide debit card but have never used it in Arillas so this year i think i will try
Annie

Offline pj

« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2008, 12:26:40 AM »
coming back to arillas soon ref euros can we buy them with good old british pound notes in arillas cheers

Offline Sandy x

• Sandy
  • ARILLIAC
  • Kouklospito
« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2008, 02:06:16 AM »
YES...the newer and crisper the better....
Sandy x

riggers

« Reply #5 on: May 24, 2008, 03:13:18 AM »
Yes indeed, Sterling , Euros i am sure most places take these......

Offline Grockle

« Reply #6 on: May 24, 2008, 07:48:55 AM »
Returned from Arillas on Friday, we took sterling and changed in the village at
Olga's Travel it was 1.24 all the week we where there no problem changing sterling
2% commission charged.   On a day trip into Sidari saw some outlets where giving 1.26.

Regards Grockle.

Offline blondegirl

• ARILLIAC
« Reply #7 on: May 24, 2008, 10:15:03 AM »

We always take sterling... the Rainbow changes it too,theres usually the rates in the village wherever you go.
If you want the rainbow, you gotta put up with the rain.

Offline justjen

• Super Member {over 100 posts}
« Reply #8 on: May 24, 2008, 12:23:53 PM »
Does anyone know if you can use cheques in the exchange offices (with guarantee card) and if so what is the comission rate?

cheers Jen

Offline angiem

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #9 on: May 24, 2008, 12:37:54 PM »
'Not sure about cheques, but I know Olga doesn't like payment by credit cards - she always suggests you go to the ATM and draw out cash. (understandable, given what credit card companies charge retailers for the privilege of using them).

Booking.com