Author Topic: Beach BBQ  (Read 27336 times)

Offline GaryS

• Forum Fanatic
Beach BBQ
« on: May 28, 2008, 11:17:34 AM »
At the end of June this will be my 5th time to Greece, 3rd to corfu, but first to Arillas, hopefully 1st of many. On all my previous trips to Greece Ive grown acustomed to the tradition of the beach BBQ by boat. A lazy day up or down the coast, a stop for a swim or two and the arranged BBQ at a remote beach with lashings of very cheap wine and ouso. Hopefully Arillas or the surrounding area has the same, so friends of Arillas any recommendations, no no's or good tales?

Yamas

Gary

Offline Mango

• Arillas regular visitor
  • Forum Fanatic
Re: Beach BBQ
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2008, 02:57:05 PM »
GazCaz

I know you can book what is called Theo's BBQ.  Never been on it myself but I have heard a lot of good reports about it.

You can book it through Arillas travel, I think.

It is more for the adults rather than kids, so I would look into it first before booking to make sure it is exactly what you want.

Hope this helps.

Amanda

Offline blondegirl

• ARILLIAC
« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2008, 03:07:01 PM »
I would definately check its for adults only.  We had a bad experience of that in Zante.  We took our daughter and parents on one, a coach not a boat.  When we got there all sorts of "adult games" were on the beach needless to say we were not amused and neither were my parents so we had to move along the beach.  We should have realised when about 75% of those on the trip were between 18-30 but as we were the first ones picked up we didnt know what was in store.  We wont do that again for sure!  So better to check it out first.
If you want the rainbow, you gotta put up with the rain.

Offline GaryS

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2008, 11:08:40 PM »
Cheers all

Seem to remember the name Theo from previous BBQs in Corfu, so likely the same lot. Was a good day out. We ain't interested in the 'adult' type with the 18-30 crowd, but have no kids with us. Always found them to be good as you see little coves and bays you normally can't get to. Will check before we book though and grateful for all your advice.

Gary & Carolyn

Offline justphil

• ARILLIAC
  • Arillas is in my soul
« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2008, 12:32:37 AM »
Like BG we have found ourselves in the midst of "adult" games in Ibiza (to be honest they would only suit those who aren't adults) but not in Arillas. Made the most of it then, but would have left if we had any kids with us. Like you say - you can turn these things into what you want.

But we have never found time for Theo's barbeque in four visits to Arillas so far - just too many friends and feeds to get through! We still haven't done our boat trip to Paleokastritsa (determined to do it in July, but we were aiming to during the last two Julys too...) for the same reason. We've only got to Corfu town twice in 8 weeks there. You can spend 2 weeks on holiday without ever leaving Arillas.

Just read some of the forum and you will know what I mean. Have a great first trip to Arillas - "You'll be back!"

Phil

Offline GaryS

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #5 on: May 30, 2008, 01:26:30 AM »
We love the lazing round chatting, eating fine food and drinking local wine, but we both have a thing for snorkling, so tend to do a couple of boat trips or hire a boat for the day wherever we are. Im sure we will love our first visit to Arillas.

Offline justphil

• ARILLIAC
  • Arillas is in my soul
« Reply #6 on: May 30, 2008, 01:51:09 AM »
Try Thalassa's house red - it is lovely. (If it's open of course. See other posts on it - it will be a real worry to us if not. We usually spend a lot of time with Giannis Litsa and Sprios and always do Christmas greetings etc.)

But Brouklis does gorgeous wine and even better local food. Just up past the corner of the road past Whispers (which might be open we hear.) See the interactive map. Jen and me only snorkel in Black Russian with very little coke in the galss to quote our friend Anna (studios.) Then we fall in hedges. But there is plenty of snorkeling to be found nearby.

Lazing on Arillas beach is a major part. Textile or naturist (at the far end out of the beach out of the way.) It is such a part of it all. Then visit Kaloudis for cold Mythos when you get too hot (put your clothes back on)

We can all say what we believe, and we are biased, but if you can't have a special holiday here, you never will.
Phil

Offline blondegirl

• ARILLIAC
« Reply #7 on: May 30, 2008, 12:31:47 PM »
We are the same as you Phil.. We have only been into Corfu Town once when we stayed in Ag. Gordios.  Were there an hour - wished we were on the beach and came home on the bus.  It was too hot and I cant stand aimlessly wandering around not knowing where I am going, its so tiring.   I think it would be lovely at night though and when its not so hot., perhaps an early or later holiday would be better to do that.   We much prefer chilling out in Arillas.  (sorry to go off topic, I do ramble).

Going back to the BBQ, we do like boat trips and have always managed to do one but never in Corfu though.  It would be nice if they could pick you up from the jetty, I would go on a boat trip then.

Offline GaryS

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #8 on: May 30, 2008, 01:24:47 PM »
Nothing better than falling in the shrubbery after lovely food and wine and making all your red bits smart like hell. :-)Can’t wait to taste Mythos again, as its been 2 years, didn’t make it to Greece last year :-(

Heard lots of good reports about Brouklis and have attempted to book in online for our 1st night. Carolyn’s parents are visiting next week so they say they will check for us :-) Ive been once to Corfu town proper about 14 years ago, but have been dropped off there twice while doing boat trips to Paxos and Parga ( a long but worthwhile day out)

Just over 4 weeks to our visit and can’t wait. As everyone is so helpful, here is another question, half of our duo is veggie, so hows the food for the meat and fish free lot? Oh and does the bakery do the lovely feta and spinach pies and pasties? Mmmm :-)

Offline Baldy Barry

• Forum Fanatic
    • myspace.com
« Reply #9 on: May 30, 2008, 02:06:50 PM »
Hiya GazCaz !
Like you we love a good snorkel and we usually hire a boat to go along the coast.
Last year we found that the boat hire guy had gone so we thought we'd had it.
But the chap in the Akti hotel organized us a boat for a day but unfortunately the weather turned a bit dodgy so he had to cancel.
The year before we headed South in our hire boat and it was great snorkelling in a secluded bay called Porto Timoni.
Lovely clear water and plenty of sealife to see.
You can also head down to Paleo and all the coastline on route is great for a good old snork !
Have fun !
Hope I don't burn !

Offline blondegirl

• ARILLIAC
« Reply #10 on: May 30, 2008, 02:15:20 PM »
They definately do spinach and cheese spirals/pies.  Our favourites from the bakery.  We always make a few trips get our cheese pies, cakes and bread for lunches...

They do stuffed toms, peppers.  baked cheese. all the different salads, and I am sure if you ask they will do whatever you want.  You will even find pasta dishes, omelettes, pizzas in some places, but predominantly there is a lot of meat.  There is a creperie too which is great.  I am sure you will have something to eat for the two weeks, no need to go hungry.

Offline GaryS

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #11 on: May 30, 2008, 02:29:02 PM »
The San Stefano boat hire lot have been very helpful this year, check the link and have been returning my emails in 30 mins. They have 10hp boats with sun shades for 70 euros for the day and you pay for your fuel used. They can even possibly collect from Arillas and return you for a few euros...how cool is that? cheers about the places to snork Barry, noted and will be visited.

Greece is usually good for veggies (Caz happy) and most traditional tavernas can cook most without meat. Glad about the swirly feta pies Blondegirl, we love them and carolyn adores the greek cakes. We tend to stay on the beach till late, have a few drinks as we change and hit the tavernas for food around 10pm, is this the norm for Arillas? Hope so.

Offline justphil

• ARILLIAC
  • Arillas is in my soul
« Reply #12 on: May 30, 2008, 02:59:12 PM »
Had to add to this.

I adore saganaki (or "Nagasaki" as a past friend once called it) fried feta or holoumi cheese. Giannis and Litsa in Thalassa do a wicked sesame feta - fried feta cheese in sesame oil and seeds. Have eaten that more times than I can remember.

I will never forget the look on Anna's (studio fame) face when we arrived at her bar at 11am and ordered Mythos, Amstels and saganaki for breakfast. She dutifully provided same, but with her cheeky smile....

And just over the road at Athina bakery, Caz will find a selection of cakes to die for. We usually sit in their front yard putting on more pounds and showing them how to make Black Russians.....

veggies will find everything they want in Arillas.

phil

Offline GaryS

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #13 on: May 30, 2008, 03:36:17 PM »
Sounds lovely, we both adore that kind of thing and I must admit my drinking habits while on holiday also seem to be out on synch a touch :-) I’m sure the cakes and veggie stuff will keep caz very happy, me too as long as there are the usual wonderful lamb dishes the Greeks are so good at. 

Offline Erja

• Beer Quality controler
  • ARILLIAC
  • Royal Ionian Gold...amber nectar, only better ;)
« Reply #14 on: May 30, 2008, 04:05:37 PM »
Sounds lovely, we both adore that kind of thing and I must admit my drinking habits while on holiday also seem to be out on synch a touch :-)

I can assure you GazCaz that you are not alone in this forum :)
Life is good ;)

Booking.com