Author Topic: booking own flights  (Read 10545 times)

Offline Paul D

• Arillas regular visitor
  • Forum Fanatic
  • Welsh Arilliac
booking own flights
« on: June 01, 2008, 12:54:14 AM »
Hi, everyone. Can anyone give me information on which are the best low cost airlines to Corfu. We`ve only done package deals before, so now perhaps it`s time to be brave and do it ourselves. Why continue to pay the `middle-man`? Thanks, Paul.
Arillas - `perfect antidote to life`s stresses and strains`!

Offline blondegirl

• ARILLIAC
Re: booking own flights
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2008, 01:01:00 AM »
Well this year we have booked with Easy Jet and booked for September. We did this in about Jan/Feb I think.  The prices were for two weeks £79 each return  (from Gatwick) so we thought that was a very good deal and then with accommodation at the BS Hotel it has worked out pretty good.  The taxi transfer obviously bumps up the total price a bit but its worth it.

We did this once before to Crete and we got amazing new accommodation for wait for it.... 14 Euros a night for the two of us and that was only 4 yrs ago and it has only gone up recently to about 24 euros.  So I think if you are not in a hurry and have time to trawl through everything you can still do it cheaper sometimes.

You do have to be a bit brave and go for it, you dont have the travel company to fall back on but perhaps that might be a good thing!
If you want the rainbow, you gotta put up with the rain.

Offline justphil

• ARILLIAC
  • Arillas is in my soul
« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2008, 06:54:18 AM »
We always do that paul, unless we find the tour operators giving away the free seats, like last October when flight only was £200, but a week at Kaloudis was £190. Just keep surfing till you find what you want!

phil

Offline Eileen

• ARILLIAC
  • Linakis lemons!
    • http://www.villalinakis.com
« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2008, 09:45:31 AM »
Hi Paul D,

If you go back to the Corfu Flight Board menu you will see a topic Flight List that Dimitris started.  There are three pages of replies but I'm sure if you trawl through them you will find the information you are looking for.

Remember if booking with XL to use the discount code MOD for a little money off.

Also check one-way flights too, you might find that booking each leg of your journey with two different operators works out in cheaper in total.

As Phil says...."...keep on surfing"!!! :-)

Eileenx

Offline Erja

• Beer Quality controler
  • ARILLIAC
  • Royal Ionian Gold...amber nectar, only better ;)
« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2008, 09:47:38 AM »
I booked my flight with Thompson last October for this months holiday and got a lovely price. Then for the August holiday the cheapest one was Monarch which I booked at the beginning of April with a rather agreeable price again :)
Life is good ;)

Offline blondegirl

• ARILLIAC
« Reply #5 on: June 01, 2008, 12:39:46 PM »
Eileen, that was a brilliant idea about the two different companies for one way flights.  I shall def. think about that for another time.. Well done for thinking of that, it goes to show how useful this forum is and how much we can learn from  a regular Corfu traveller.  Thanks! Sue x

Offline Eileen

• ARILLIAC
  • Linakis lemons!
    • http://www.villalinakis.com
« Reply #6 on: June 01, 2008, 12:59:47 PM »
Hi Sue,

It doesn't work out cheaper this way all the time, but we have managed to save a fair bit when it has, including our last trip.  You do have to check the difference in the baggage weight allowances to save having to cough up at the check-in desk!

Eileenxx

Offline Paul D

• Forum Fanatic
  • Welsh Arilliac
« Reply #7 on: June 01, 2008, 04:36:13 PM »
Hi, everyone. Thanks for all your replies so far. This is why I asked you guys cos I knew with all your experience you`d be able to help. It seems it`s about getting the right price at the right time.  Blondegirl,£79 sounds a good price to me. Thanks again,all.

Offline Paul D

• Forum Fanatic
  • Welsh Arilliac
« Reply #8 on: June 02, 2008, 12:56:22 PM »
Just been looking at the flight board. Full of useful info. Should have looked here earlier. Oh,well!!!!!

Offline england

• Bronze medal {over 20 posts}
« Reply #9 on: June 02, 2008, 05:41:56 PM »
After looking around the best (as in price) I found was flydeals.co.uk

Be careful with the site dates and they can be a bit flaky if using the calendar view

Offline Cheryl2307

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #10 on: June 03, 2008, 11:07:24 AM »
Paul it's also worth checking out packages.  This year I looked at all the options and eventually booked a package deal as I got a really cheap child place for my 16 year old son so it worked out much cheaper than booking flights and accommodation independently.  I would check out all the options before finally booking - there may be some good late booking deals about too.  Good luck!
Cheryl O

Offline kevin.g

• ARILLIAC
  • Kevin and julie
« Reply #11 on: June 03, 2008, 05:08:18 PM »
sometimes its better to book early ,my 3 flights end june/july cost £450 for the 3 of us back in jan ,now its over £650, so good luck................yammas

Offline blondegirl

• ARILLIAC
« Reply #12 on: June 03, 2008, 06:00:06 PM »
We did the same!

Offline Sandy x

• Sandy
  • ARILLIAC
  • Kouklospito
« Reply #13 on: June 03, 2008, 07:03:46 PM »
And me...the flight I booked for August cost me £100 in January but is now over £300...
Sandy x

Offline Paul D

• Forum Fanatic
  • Welsh Arilliac
« Reply #14 on: June 03, 2008, 10:53:41 PM »
Thanks for all the latest replies, everyone. Cheryl, as far as package deals go, we`ve no problem with them. We did Arillas last year in October on a two for one deal and paid only £502 for both of us. Back in September 2005, we did a three week trip to Leonidas. We asked travel agent for two weeks from Cardiff originally and were given a fair price. Just for curiosity , I asked about three week prices. Couldn`t do it from Cardiff,but could from Bristol. We nearly fell through the floor when told it would be £60 cheaper each. So needless to say we grabbed it with both hands. Three weeks in Arillas was bliss with the odd trip into Kerkyra now and then. By the way, Leonidas comes highly recommended by us. They couldn`t do enough for us.

Booking.com