Author Topic: The New EasyJet Flights to Corfu - May 2008  (Read 9004 times)

Offline BeckyB

• Arillas Addict
The New EasyJet Flights to Corfu - May 2008
« on: June 09, 2008, 06:47:57 PM »

Hi Everybody!

I realised I hadn't reported back on the new EasyJet flights to Corfu & thought it useful to share our recent experience as it might prove useful?

We booked our flights back in March - having always gone down the 'package' route. I wanted to see if doing it independently - what sort of a difference it would make - not only to the amount of time we spent away, but more importantly - to our purse.

Gotta say everyone - big thumbs up from Christian & I!!

Our outward bound flights cost under £85.00 pp & the return flights £49.00pp. Add on our costs for the Brouklis it came in at a really good price & what was really good was that we got a bit longer than we normally would on a package deal - 8 nights & 9 full days!

We did have to factor in the cost of train to Gatwick however, but this too was pleasantly surprising.
Living in Bristol we booked the train for £20 each for a return journey & this folks were the basic costs involved.

The flight itself was really, really good & one of the nicest flights we've both encountered heading out to Corfu.
This in no small way had something to do with the time of day I'm sure. Flying at lunchtime in daylight & getting there at 'tea-time' feels a lot more civilised than flying late at night & there was a bit of a 'buzz' in general - I guess because this is a new flight for EasyJet & maybe they were making an extra effort - couldn't really say but there was a good vibe going on!

Food wise, you could do sandwiches - hot & cold & there was also a hot meal available if wanted.
They also offered a film on the plane (both ways), but these were extra & you had to pay - but that's what you expect from EasyJet don't you?

Was there a downside?

There was a slight downside, but whether you can blame the airline or put it down to my foolishness, make your mind up!

We flew late Sunday night of May 25th.
The flight was delayed by just under 2 hours - but that wasn't a problem & went by really quickly.

The problem was the luggage.
I basically brought back too much & we were way over what we should have been!
When we go away Christian takes a 'beast' of a suitcase which is never anyhere near full & that suits me fine as I get to put loads of purchases in there for the journey home & it all works out really well!
When it was weighed at Gatwick - it didn't appear to be over-weight although they did stick a sticker on it saying it was a heavy item - but we weren't charged or anything like that.

Long story short, my case was groaning on the way home & Christian's was ready to explode!
On weighing them - his was chronically over-weight, so they weighed mine to see if I had some spare kilos that could be offset against his.

Oops!
Mine was overweight & we ended up paying 60 Euros for the excess!
Christian was not at all happy about that - he was pretty annoyed with me for bringing so much back & I have been warned NOT to do that again - it's so hard not to though?!?

I suppose when you compare the package deals that allow you a bit more allowance on baggage - you tend to forget that other airlines have their own rules & regulations, so be careful folks & don't get caught out like us!

All in all, I would recommend EasyJet to other Forum members. They've got a nice choice of times to fly out & back & you can get a really good deal on the cost of flights.
Even the 'hiccup' with the weight hasn't deterred us - I'm working out the best costs for us when we go back in September!!

Hope this helps folks?

Becky B.

Offline blondegirl

• ARILLIAC
Re: The New EasyJet Flights to Corfu - May 2008
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2008, 08:12:55 PM »
Thanks Becky that was really helpful.  We fly with EJ in September having a 5.30 p.m. flight.. we will probably have something to eat at the airport (we live 5 mins away fortunately) and take some snacks with us.. we want to eat in Arillas if we dont get there too late, probably at the snackbar.

Your info about the allowance was really useful.. thanks!
If you want the rainbow, you gotta put up with the rain.

Offline BeckyB

• Arillas Addict
« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2008, 08:17:19 PM »

You're really welcome Blonde Girl - I'm glad it was useful.
I remember you saying in previous posts that you were heading off in September on EJ & even though our overall experience was a good one - I wouldn't want anyone else to get 'stung' in the same way I did - even though it probably was my own fault!!

Offline blondegirl

• ARILLIAC
« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2008, 09:27:07 PM »
I am a bit paranoid about being overweight (luggage as well as myself!).  We dont bring much back with us anyway anymore but do take too much out.  I would like to get away with a holdall and capsule wardrobe but I never do.

Offline BeckyB

• Arillas Addict
« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2008, 09:44:46 PM »

I would too - believe me!
After Christian had coughed up the 60Euro's at the Airport - the inevitable subject came up, "How many pairs of shoes do you need to take away with you Becky?!"

Oops! Felt a bit guilty :-(

Offline blondegirl

• ARILLIAC
« Reply #5 on: June 09, 2008, 10:57:52 PM »
Did you where them all thats the thing!

Offline BeckyB

• Arillas Addict
« Reply #6 on: June 09, 2008, 11:51:08 PM »

Truthful answer - no, I didn't. But that's not really the point Blonde Girl - is it?
The point is, I needed them all so I had the choice - you can understand that can't you?

I don't understand why Christian doesn't get it - it's a simple concept really!
:-) :-):-)

Offline ger

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #7 on: June 10, 2008, 02:51:40 PM »
i understand completely about the shoes, i am going in 2 weeks, and am trying to figure out how many i will need to go with what i'm taking, then there are the ones if we go walking, and the ones to wear to the beach...............you know how it is!!!
i am interested that you got a train to gatwick, was it from parkway or temple meads, and was it really that easy? might persuade martin back in september with that!!
ger x

Offline Sandy x

• Sandy
  • Arillas regular visitor
  • ARILLIAC
  • Kouklospito
« Reply #8 on: June 10, 2008, 02:58:28 PM »
I am the exact opposite....I take the pink crocs for travelling and the beach, then two pairs of flip flops (one black and one white) depending on what I am wearing in the evening. Easy.....
Sandy x

Offline BeckyB

• Arillas Addict
« Reply #9 on: June 10, 2008, 03:59:57 PM »

Hi Ger,

We got the train from Temple Meads. We had to make a change at Reading & picked up the direct Gatwick train from there - taking us directly to the Airport.
Our seats were booked on the train & the return fare from Bris-Gatwick was £19.99 each.

I'm very glad to hear that there are other Forum members out there who are as 'shoe-tastic as myself - even if it does become the odd bone of contention between Christian & myself!

On the other hand, I'm loving the idea of Pink Crocs Sandy - they sound wicked! I'll have to look out for a pair of those!

BeckyB x.

Offline justjen

• Super Member {over 100 posts}
« Reply #10 on: June 10, 2008, 04:32:59 PM »
Hi Becky,

We've often got the train to Gatwick (will do again in September). Was about £25 each return from Castle Cary but probably a bit more by now. Still well worth it though as you save on parking not to mention the horrible drive into the airport. Only problem is if you arrive back late at night you might have to wait til morning for a train.

I'm with Sandy on the shoes though - as few as possible.

Cheers Jen

Offline BeckyB

• Arillas Addict
« Reply #11 on: June 10, 2008, 04:53:54 PM »

Hi Jen,

I'm sure Christian would prefer it if I took a leaf out of yours & Sandy's book - especially when only a couple of pairs get worn for the duration of our hols!
I guess you could say I'm a poseur aren't I?!?
Never mind - we're all different - which is something to celebrate I think :-)

Castle Cary yes? One of my work colleagues lives in Street & that's the train he gets if we're heading to London for business.
The thing is with these train costs - you can get some real belting prices & I'm sure you'll get a really good one for September.
You need to keep on calling them & they'll tell you when they've released the tickets for that day of travel - anyway, forgive me if I sound patronising, I'm sure you already know that!!

I forgot to mention in my report that we DID arrive back 'nice & early' on the Monday morning & had to wait for a few hours before we caught the 5.30am train.
Fortunately, we found a Starbucks in Arrivals that had fairly squishy sofas so we snuggled down for a kip before the treck back to Bristol!

Becky B x.

Offline Smiffypink

• ARILLIAC
« Reply #12 on: June 11, 2008, 03:19:02 PM »
I second the pink Crocs, i live in mine in the summer, love em!!  Have also got the Croc flipflops, theyre great.

But im like Sandy aswell, Crocs and a couple of pairs of flip flops, is all i need.

But everyone is different, i always take the minimum, leaving room for goods to be bought back on the way home!

Offline Corfusoon

• Helios Court Villa
  • Arillas Addict
  • Helios Court Arillas Corfu
    • Luxury Villa in Arillas
« Reply #13 on: June 14, 2008, 11:56:58 PM »
Hey you are only up the road from us we live in Mere. Bet we both shop in Wincanton!

Regards
Style, Luxury, Tranquillity
Helios Court Villa, Arillas, Corfu.
http://www.corfuvilla.holiday

Booking.com