Author Topic: First timer  (Read 34230 times)

Offline DronnyDave

• Silver Medal {over 40 posts}
First timer
« on: June 10, 2008, 02:57:25 PM »
Hi everyone,

This is my first post on this site, we have just booked to go to Arillas for two weeks at the end of July.

I have had a look at the maps on this site, but I'm struggling to work out how big an area Arillas covers.

I know we are stopping 500metres from the beach, and it would appear that we are at the edge of the village, but how far is it from say the pier to the far end of the beach, and is there a path or do you have to walk along the beach.

Any help would be really appreciated.

Must say, that we are really looking forward to our hols here

Offline justphil

• Arillas regular visitor
  • ARILLIAC
  • Arillas is in my soul
Re: First timer
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2008, 04:31:40 PM »
Welcome to the forum DronnyDave.

You don't say the name of your accommodation or we would all know exactly where you are. 500m is closer than we usually stay and we have no problems. We have stayed right at the top of the hill, and never really worried.

The best thing to do is consult the interactive map (Maps in the sidebar menu) and locate your accommodation on it. Would be glad to advise further if you wish.

The seafront has a minor road / walkway from Kaloudis at the north end to Sea Breeze at the south with the Jetty in the middle approx. The beach then extends a fair distance in both directions maybe 600m. Great pleasure to stroll along either north or south parts of the beach, but remember the very far end may be an eye-opener...

BTW - forum corner meets in the Coconut on Tuesdays from about 7.30 and same time Thursdays in Malibu. We will be there 8, 10, 15 and 17 July so please come and say hello.

cheers
Phil

Offline DronnyDave

« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2008, 02:15:18 PM »
Hi Phil,

Thanks for the reply. We are staying at the Galini, which I understand was not very busy last year but is now with Olympic. We may have taken a bit of a risk, but we are working on the basis that they will be trying hard to improve things this year. We don't expect a lot, as long as the place is clean we will be happy.

One of the reasons for going to Arillas is the eye opener beach as you call it.

For the last three years we have been going to Skiathos, but felt we were ready for a change this year. Our daily trip to the beach on Skiathos consisted of a ten minute walk to the bus stop, a ten minute bus journey, then a further 15 minute hike over a steep hill to the beach.
We are hoping that access to the beach in Arillas will be a bit easier.
Any information you can provide on the Galini would be helpful.

We don't fly out until 28 July.

Regards
Dave

Offline justphil

• ARILLIAC
  • Arillas is in my soul
« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2008, 02:38:40 PM »
Hi Dronnydave
Have looked at Accommodation Reviews (a board reached from MAIN tab in the forum menu) and searched on Galini. Some very good reports given there. Also they answer your question - 5 mins brisk walk 10 minutes stroll from the centre of Arillas, ie the beach.

Once on the beach, it is a pleasant and easy stroll to the naturist end. When facing the sea, turn right.

If you like laid back, friendly people and excellent food you will love Arillas.  Sadly we are there until 21 July then back out on Aug 27th so will miss you. Wishing you a wonderful holiday.
phil

Offline DronnyDave

« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2008, 03:02:33 PM »
Thanks Phil,

Last couple of questions, is the journey from the airport as bad as people talk about. Does it really take upto 4 hours?

And finally, I know people have different views about what makes a good place to eat, but where do you recommend us to try on our first night.

thanks again

Dave

Offline Sandy x

• Sandy
  • ARILLIAC
  • Kouklospito
« Reply #5 on: June 11, 2008, 03:24:03 PM »
I didn't know Galini is with Olympic this year. As I recall they were always one of the longest and worst transfers.....friends of mine were once picked up from their accommodation at midnight and didn't reach the airport till 6am!! Depending on the times of your flights, you may do well do consider a taxi (50 euros and you can book through the forum).

Blondegirl is the expert on the Galini and I'm sure she will fill you in when she sees your post. I've never stayed there but it looks very pleasant - nice pool - and near the shop and bakery. No more than a 10 minute stroll to the beach....I'm sure you'll love it.
Sandy x

Offline AngieS

« Reply #6 on: June 11, 2008, 03:27:22 PM »
This will be my first time staying in Arillas too, I hope it doesn't take 4 hours from the airport :shock:

We stayed in San Stefanos about 10 years ago and it took 2 hours roughly

We arrive on June 30th (which happens to be my b'day, great pressie or what) I can't wait till we get to Arillas now, it sounds like everything I want from a holiday, peaceful and relaxing, and with wonderful restaurants and friendly locals.

Counting the days now lol :)

Offline JohnTheRef&Dot

• ARILLIAC
  • First star to the right and straight on to Arillas
« Reply #7 on: June 11, 2008, 04:08:40 PM »
DronnyDave
The Galini is at the top end of the road leading from the beach
Just come out and turn right, past the supermarket and the Bakery (be warned if you go in you wont want to come out) carry on and you will come to the Rainbow on your left and the captains on the right.
Continue down the road and the next place of interest will be Brooklis taverna on your right, Give Dimitris a wave, and ask him to keep you a table.
Almost there now past the ATM and Irene’s art shop Akit  Arilla Hotel on right Malibu and Coconut on the left then through to the Beach. Nice little walk.
Turn left and you can walk round the other way, up to the Tria Adelphia and then turn right, just follow the road
Sandy is correct it is about a ten minute walk but your in Arillas, by the time you have stopped and had a chat with everyone you may well have taken an hour, then again your in Arillas and on  holiday, Greek time
I did not know the Galini was with Olympic because I would have booked with them to stay there.
We will be there from 15th-29th July staying at the Christos
Have a fantastic holiday

Offline justjen

• Super Member {over 100 posts}
« Reply #8 on: June 11, 2008, 04:55:27 PM »
You are probably right about Olympic being the worst, Sandy. Our first trip to Arillas was with them and transfers took 3 hours including being dropped off at Sidari at 7am (nowhere open) where we waited nearly an hour for a minibus to do the last bit. Apart from that they were fine and had a lovely rep (Lorna). I would recomend Sandy's advice of get a taxi, especially if you arrive during the night.

As for eateries DronnyDave, just find a place you like the look of they're all great.

Cheers, Jen

Offline blondegirl

• ARILLIAC
« Reply #9 on: June 11, 2008, 05:04:43 PM »
Just found this on the Galini, you know me I would have to add something!  We loved it there.  It was our first holiday to Arillas and it didnt disappoint us.  We had one of the studios facing the road (if I can I will post some photos), the middle one on the middle floor.  It was a very good size, actually bigger than the Bardis Sun studios (at least you could walk around the beds).  The pool is brilliant, it even has a small pool for kids (which I used when the kids were looking!).  The bar was great and had a big tv, dont bother with the Greek night though although it might have changed now its with Olympic (which I wasnt aware of but will have a look at).  It had apricot trees out the back which Kostas dad would pick and leave at our door for our breakfast.

The only downer I would say is the walk back from the beach.  It isnt really any trouble but the small hill up to the bakery was quite tiring if you are hot and Mike had a bad knee that year so walking was difficult, if you are fit tho you should be fine.  It is only 2 mins to the supermarket and the bakery, 4 mins to the Captains and Rainbow and its just straight down the road to the beach about 5-10 mins and 20 mins dawdle back depending on what state you are in.  All in all in a good location.  We would frequent the Captains a lot as it was nearer and then wander around Arillas after.  Last year we booked a table for the "Galini Gang" about 16 of us that met there two years ago.  It was no trouble for Angela and Mike who were very patient with us.

At the back of the Galini is a little lane that takes you through the olive groves and up to the church (bit of hill there but it doesnt last long), go past the church and it brings you to the San Stef road and eventually the turning back to Arillas again.  We would do that in the morning and do a "round robin" and walk through Arillas to the Captains, have breakfast and then back for a swim in the pool.  One of our favourite walks so we shall be doing that again in September.

They have 2 bed apartments which is useful for families too.

As for the transfer we booked a taxi going and took the coach back to the airport.

Hope that helps.. Sue
If you want the rainbow, you gotta put up with the rain.

Offline Sandy x

• Sandy
  • ARILLIAC
  • Kouklospito
« Reply #10 on: June 11, 2008, 05:11:19 PM »
I knew we could rely on you when it came to the Galini, Blondegirl
Sandy x

Offline blondegirl

• ARILLIAC
« Reply #11 on: June 11, 2008, 05:15:28 PM »

Galini. 

I think you can just about see me on the balcony :-)

Offline blondegirl

• ARILLIAC
« Reply #12 on: June 11, 2008, 05:22:36 PM »

Swimming pool from our balcony

dont be put off by the bike mechanic as it wasnt a problem.. no noise at all whilst we were there.  The only noise was the occasional barking dog and the frogs in the river next door!

apologies for the dark photos (Marika I am not!)

Offline Geoffrey with a "G"

• Super Member {over 100 posts}
« Reply #13 on: June 11, 2008, 06:47:25 PM »
My first stay in Arillas was at the Gallini and it was excellent. I was lucky that there were only 3 of us for Arillas , so we were sent in a taxi, but that was with Manos. Olympic have the longest transfer time :- a) because they have so many drop-offs on the east coast, and b) they use a mini-bus from Sidari to Arillas, which sometimes causes further waiting time, when I helped Olympic out with repping, about 4 years ago, transfers took between 3 and six hours. The taxi fare is well worth saving the possible extra travel fatigue. Ask the taxi driver for a fixed price and ask if others will share. Kostas at the Gallini is very laid back, and often good fun. Tell him that "Mister Geoff" says he should treat you to one of his special grills - great.  happy holidays!.
Geoffrey with a `G´

Offline blondegirl

• ARILLIAC
« Reply #14 on: June 12, 2008, 01:02:15 AM »
That was really great to read too Geoffrey. Cant believe it would be up to 6 hrs transfer, really unacceptable I think, hope they do improve on it.

Booking.com