Author Topic: Small construction on the beach ?  (Read 25937 times)

Offline youngerpet

Small construction on the beach ?
« on: June 13, 2008, 07:45:15 PM »
Just got back from our 4th visit in Arillas and we all had a good time.
We usually alternate our days by spending one on the beach and one around the pool which usually keeps everyone happy.
However this time we only managed to make 3 trips to the beach which usually involves sunbathing swimming and making sandcastles or rather not making sandcastles.
When the kids started their small construction they were swiftly told off by the sunbed man (who used to be the pedallo man) and told they could only dig right down at the front (were the waves instantly wash away their hard work) what's that all about?
You want to try stop kids making sandcastles, not an easy job!

Pete

Offline Eggy

• On the Spot reporter
  • ARILLIAC
Re: Small construction on the beach ?
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2008, 08:03:22 PM »
Very frustrating Pete , in fact really annoying, and not an "abnorma"l thing to deal with.

Greeks rent a part of the beach, from the local council, for a place not only to keep tidy but also for rental of the sunbeds etc to also make a few bob.

Unless the kiddies were making a sandcastle smack in front of other empty sunbeds, which potentially costs the "renter" money then I, for one am puzzled as to why he complained.

At the end of the day the beach is the beach and, providing, no one is interfereing with anyone elses enjoyment then you go and do your, or your childrens, own thing.

You sure it wasn't you doing the sandcastle? Us adults can get carried away sometimes
( I've done some good uns in the past. )

I hope it didn't put too much of a dampener on your hol.

Cheers
Negg

Offline youngerpet

« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2008, 08:23:03 PM »
Hi Negg
No it was nothing to do with me it was all my 3 kids work and as anyone who was on the beach last week will know there was hardly anyone on the sunbeds.
As my kids were singing "are you donut man in disguise" (looks abiit like him don't you think?)

Offline Jennifer Ferguson

• Super Member {over 100 posts}
« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2008, 09:48:34 PM »
 No fun if you can't build your sandcastles.Mine last year was a two tier construction,complete with shells for decoration.
P.S.Don't tell the sun bed man but I will never see the right side of 40 again.

Offline Jo Wissett

• Arillas regular visitor
  • ARILLIAC
« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2008, 11:24:20 PM »
Please tell me the world hasn't gone mad?! restrictrions on sandcastle-building??!! whatever next?

Offline justphil

• ARILLIAC
  • Arillas is in my soul
« Reply #5 on: June 15, 2008, 12:10:17 AM »
I really identify with that Jo. Smoking bans, now sandcastle bans - we have all gone mad. You can only guess what the men in suits will ban next.

As BG said, jen and me are having panic attacks that smoking is no longer allowed in Corfu airport. Our Greek friends will just laugh and ignore it... That is why we will be living there soon.

all the best
phil

Offline Lindypops

• ARILLIAC
« Reply #6 on: June 15, 2008, 12:39:40 AM »
It` ok to smoke as and when, but deary me. Will the men in suits ban s-- next! The mind boggles.
Lindypops.

Offline justphil

• ARILLIAC
  • Arillas is in my soul
« Reply #7 on: June 15, 2008, 01:05:02 AM »
lindypops thank you -  that is what I was saying. They would if they could, but us men and women will at least have that left. politics stinks....

a bit too seriously but with lots of affection
phil

Offline blondegirl

• ARILLIAC
« Reply #8 on: June 15, 2008, 01:26:37 AM »
they will have cctv cameras on the beach (apart from the webcam) reporting all those building sandcastles!
If you want the rainbow, you gotta put up with the rain.

Offline Jo Wissett

• ARILLIAC
« Reply #9 on: June 16, 2008, 12:24:16 AM »
God only knows what punishment those fabulous sand sculptors (is there such a word?!) from last year would have received...not only a sandcastle but a whole scorpion....

Offline kes

• Forum Fanatic
  • Relax
    • Relax in Arillas
« Reply #10 on: June 17, 2008, 01:08:13 AM »
There are sand castles and sandcastles...
As we all know back in Uk if you build a sand castle on the beach the tide comes in and washes it away...
That is not the case in Arillas..although there is a small ebb & flow and unless a storm brews up a sandcastle erected in May could very well still be there in September.....
So lets imagine  1 sandcastle covering an area of 2 sq meter...10 sand castles a day  ... 20 sq meters....70 a week and so on by september the beach could have 1500   sandcastles thats  3000 sq meters!!!...  ....yikes it would resemble the Normandy  landings !!!  ....There would be no room for sunbeds.....  ;)
(for the mathamatically minded)
1 sq. meter = 1.431 sq. Varas = 10.773 sq. ft. 1 acre = 43560 square feet 1 acre = 4046.8 square meters 1 hectare = 10000 meters 1 hectare = 2.47 acres ...
Recon thats getting on 8 acres.. 
Soloution build yer sandcastle then flatten it when you leave the beach returning twigs ,pebbles ,shells,plastic cups and all the other accesories that make up a succesful sandcastle to were the originated from....

Offline JohnTheRef&Dot

• ARILLIAC
  • First star to the right and straight on to Arillas
« Reply #11 on: June 17, 2008, 01:14:18 AM »
Phil dont worry My lad and his partner puffed away with content when we were waiting to depart in May

Offline briant

• Bronze medal {over 20 posts}
« Reply #12 on: June 17, 2008, 12:32:07 PM »
Just home yesterday after a great  2 weeks in Arillas.We hired sunbeds from Del Boy the new Guy who has taken over from Thomas.He takes care of the stretch from Marina Hotel To Kaloudid Appts.We spent 9 days on beach and there were Sandcastles galore .He never said a word and the smile never left his face.Anybody who does,nt buy him a drink at end of Hols.is a meanie

Offline blondegirl

• ARILLIAC
« Reply #13 on: June 17, 2008, 01:27:57 PM »
I didnt think Thomas would be there this year... he was going out with Jagorda  (blackberry) last year (from the Galini) and they didnt think they would be back.  Is the new guys name really Del Boy?
If you want the rainbow, you gotta put up with the rain.

Offline vivian

• Vivian
  • ARILLIAC
  • Stay Nude it ant Rude
    • http://www.holmvalley.com
« Reply #14 on: June 18, 2008, 04:20:35 PM »

Think this is the lad your talking about, as you say always got a smile.

Stay Nude it ante rude

Booking.com